Birds of Trinidad and Tobago New Guide Book 2007

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Birds of Trinidad and Tobago New Guide Book 2007

Post by Caroline Brookes »

I see that there is a new bird guide book being published in December 2007, Birds of Trinidad and Tobago, authors Floyd E Hayes, Martyn Kenefick and Robin L Restall. You can pre-order from Amazon at £18.99.

Caroline
Jonathan Richards

Re: Birds of Trinidad and Tobago New Guide Book 2007

Post by Jonathan Richards »

This is one of the Helm Field Guides and is a sort of extract from Birds of Northern South America (ISBN-10: 0713660260), which latter is in two volumes and retails at £85 :shock: . I've already ordered a copy of the T&T book(ISBN-13: 9780713685442); it promises to be better than the currently available books.
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Thanks Jonathan. Good to hear your views.
I hope that it will be published before Feb. The date of publication seems to have already been put back to December from November!!!

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

Post by Anthony Townsend »

Hi,

I used the Birds of Northen South America on our visit at Easter and they were great for Trinidad and Tobago. As already mentioned the plates from these volumes will be used for the new book. It should lighten the load, because they were heavy to carry around. I would definitely recommend this ahead of 'A Guide to the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago' by Richard Ffrench. Have a look at http://www.fatbirder.com if you are interested in birds. Click on World Birding, then Central America and then Trinidad and Tobago. There's loads of info about where to go and more recommended reading etc..

Contact Newton George as per the reviews on this site and he does a great trip to the rainforest or Little Tobago amongst others.

Anthony.
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Re: Birds of Trinidad and Tobago New Guide Book 2008

A C Black, the publishers have just published the new book, Birds of Trinidad and Tobago. It was going to be published in 2007, but was delayed and has now been released in January 2008. I have just purchased a copy, and it is winging its way to me. ISB 9780713685 £16.99, delivery cost: £2.95 http://www.acblack.com

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

Hi,

I'm waiting for mine to arrive too!!

Anthony.
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

This morning the postman brought me the long awaited publication. It is compact, 256 pages with 107 colour plates. There is a section "Where to watch birds in Trinidad and Tobago". The whole book looks well presented. I am looking forward to studying it prior to visiting Tobago for the first time. Only three weeks today to go.

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

Hi,

Caroline,

Let me know what parts of Tobago you are visiting and possibly I can give you some pointers. This year will be our third visit and we have done a lot of birding.

Anthony.
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Hi Anthony

Thanks for your offer. The more info. the better the preparation planning and experience.

We are staying at Adventure Eco, Arnos Vale a week, then going on to Castara. We are hiring a jeep to get us between the two locations with the jeep being available some of the time whilst at Arnos Vale and some at Castara.

The new field guide talks about Adventure Eco and particularly the humming birds - Hermit, Jacobin, Ruby Topaz and Copper-Rumped. It also gives by geographical area and location the types of birds you are likely to see. I was slightly disappointed to find that the guide indicates that many of the birds are located in Trinidad rather than Tobago, but nevertheless those native to Tobago look glorious and very special.

Looking forward to hearing of your birding experiences.

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

Caroline,

Don't forget, some species depend on the time of year you go.

I've been there a few times. They have a lot of feeders set up for hummingbirds. You'll see most of the species whizzing past your head and it's great for photos. They also ring a bell and the birds come down to feed. You'll see motmots, barred antshrikes, tanagers etc.. The grounds are good for red-crowned woodpeckers.

Grafton Estate is close by. They feed the birds at 4pm (8am too? I've not been at that time.) Go earlier and explore the three paths. You'll see lots. Hang around afterwards and ask for a guided walk (for a small donation). You should see antwrens, jacamars, flycatchers etc. If you haven't found it already ask for the blue-backed manakin lek.

Arnos Vale feed the birds too. You can take tea, but its very poor as is the service. They do have parrots that will sit on your shoulder. Just make sure you get the friendly one!

My local patch is the Bon Accord treatment works. If you give it time it is very rewarding. You'll see all the herons, egrets, anhingas, ducks, grebes, watanas, waders possibly kingfishers. Keep an eye out for ospreys, broad winged hawks, merlin and caracara. A walk down to the sea takes you past a variety of habitats including scrubland and mangroves. Take it slow and check out the ditches, bushes and trees. The water is full of Tilapia and you'll see crabs further down. There are lots of flycatchers, grassquits warblers. parrolets, tanagers, sandpipers, ground doves and hummingbirds. Check out the fields for Southern lapwing and willets. The palms have lots of woodpecker nests. You'll hear chachalacas all the way. Check out the water to your right just before the sea. You sometimes see some interesting fish species. Great for a walk followed by a House of Pancakes breakfast!

I would recommend a rainforest trip with Newton George. We've done it a few times and he always brings up something new. The highlight for me was when he took us to see a pair of striped owls. You'll see the manakins again and with any luck woodcreepers, the other woodpecker species, white tailed sabrewing, trogans, red legged honeycreepers and more.

Newton will also do the Little Tobago trip. The red billed tropicbirds are worth it.

Trinidad isn't too far away! Only a short flight. Asa Wright and Caroni swamp are worth it. If you decide to go, I can give you more info.

Check out http://www.fatbirder.com and check out Trinidad and Tobago under world birding for lots of info.

Just keep your eyes open and sometimes species turn up that shouldn't be there. Unfortunately it's always when your not on guard and don't have a camera handy!

Anthony.
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Dear Anthony

Thank you so much for taking the time to go into all this detail. It will be a great help. I am taking a copy with me for reference.

I had noticed in the guide book that it suggest Bon Accord treatment works, but it says "there is no unauthorized access and you have to look through the fence". It then mentions walking down by the side of the mangrove to the shore. Does this mean that there is a path beside the treatment works?

I shall be busy looking up in the guide all the birds you mention, so that I will have a chance of recognising them when in Tobago.

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

Caroline,

The treatment works are surrounded by a fence, but you don't need to go in. Just bird from the side of the road. They look very basic and uninteresting, but the area has a lot of birds. Don't forget to check out the gardens in properties and wires before the ponds for birds as well as the opposite side of the road. When you have gone past with the gate on your left, turn left and walk down towards the sea. There is a long low gate which is sometimes closed, but you can just walk around it. Take is slow and stop to pause, look around and listen and you will see lots. Don't forget to look up if there is a commotion. It usually means a predator is around.

You'll get excited when you see your first tanagers, mockingbirds and smooth billed ani.

I still haven't received my book yet!

Anthony.
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Hi Anthony and Caroline,
I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon, and I havn't received mine yet either.
I'll second taking a trip with Newton George; he's excellent! We are hopefully taking a trip to Trinidad with him this March, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Another beautiful drive where we regularly see a lot of birds, is the north road up to Charlottesville. We were continually stopping to get the binoculars and telescope out. The forest at dawn or dusk is magical.
Enjoy your holiday Caroline,
Gill
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Hi Anthony

Thanks.

I ordered my book from A C Black Publishers direct having first checked with them that they really were going to publish in January (as it has slipped monthly from November 2007) as we are off to Tobago in early Feb. Amazon said that it would be published on 21 January 2008. Blacks as the publishers will have had access to copies for despatch before the official publication date. Anyway, the book does exist and should be with you very soon. I have ordered another copy for the owner of Adventure Eco, and will be taking it to him when we go.

When are you going to Tobago?

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

Hi,

We're returning in Feb. I can't wait! We are spending three nights in Trinidad too. I'll have to get round to posting photos on the site. I ordered my book with Amazon too. It was because the other book I ordered was cheaper. A few more days to go or so they say.

Anthony.
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Hi Anthony

We are flying out on 7 Feb. for 2 weeks. Is it likely that we will be on the island at the same time?

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

Caroline,

Probably would have been if I was going in Feb as I wrote. Meant March!!!! Going to France in Feb!!!! I need to engage my brain when typing. Sorry.

Still haven't got my book through Amazon. I'm going to cancel and order it elsewhere.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Anthony.
Caroline Brookes
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Hi Anthony

Sorry our paths won't cross, but do have a great time.

I got my second book yesterday, which I ordered on Monday from A. C. Black by telephone.. You can order it over the phone on 020 7440 2456 or go to website http://www.acblack.com then click on Natural History, although I found the website would not process my order. The cost is £15.99 but then they add first class postage which takes it to just under £20.00. Worth it I think.

Caroline
Anthony Townsend

I ordered it with them yesterday after cancelling with Amazon. I can't wait. Have a good trip.

Anthony.
Anthony Townsend

Caroline,

I received my book today. I think I'll still be taking the Birds of Northern South America with me, because you never know what will turn up. We saw a lined seedeater at just before we got to Pigeon Point last year (possibly an escaped captive bird).

The book mentions a boat trip to St Giles. We did this the first year leaving from Charlotville and saw the masked boobies. We also saw flying fish and turtles etc.. it was OK.

Anthony.

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”