parots

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Johan Seekles

parots

Post by Johan Seekles »

I have seen a lot of birds on the photo´s on this site, i am missing the parots photo´s.

Do you see parots in tobago in the wild or not?

I would be very happy to see them flying in the wild, anybody knows.

Thanks in advance

johan
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: parots

Post by Hugh S »

Johan,

I always see lots of Orange-winged Parrots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange-winged_Amazon) in the northeast end of Tobago. Crossing over from Bloody Bay towards Roxborough I have seen huge flocks and I regularly see them flying in the area of King's Bay. I see them in Bethel once in awhile too.

Hugh
Johan Seekles

Post by Johan Seekles »

thanks hugh for the reply!

Well thats good news for me and for sure i am going to try to spot them.

greetings johan
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

hey Johan,

if you stay in Castara you will see parrots almost every morning. The small green ones and sometimes the bigger ones ( I have no idea how they are called) fly over Castara and you can hear them making a lot of noise.

Good luck in watching the parrots!
Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Johan,

if you stay or visit the more northern part of the island, you will come across flocks of parrots, guaranteed.
They live in the bush in big numbers and interfere alot with the vegetation, especially fruit tree plantations.
If you happen to talk to a villager who has anything to do with agriculture i.e. fruits, you may very well hear
a lot of obscene language, when you mention the term "parrots" and he may also say something about
"12 gauge".
Parrots are beautiful exotic birds, but their impact on fruit plantations is just as destructive as crows in Europe.
So don't be surprised if your enthusiasm for parrots may not be shared by everybody around you :wink:

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”