Taxi Driver

Transport-related questions and comment
Sam M

Taxi Driver

Post by Sam M »

I am particularily worried about being conned by taxi drivers as I have had this happen elsewhere in the world and arriving at the airport with a small child I want to confirm how much I should be expected to pay from the airport to the Tropikist Beach Hotel and are the honest taxi drivers easy to spot ie do they belong to a certain company?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sam

I don't use taxis myself, so can't speak from personal experience. Whilst Tobago taxis have become exceedingly greedy in the last couple of years and, I understand, are charging rates more akin to London black cabs, I don't believe that they are any more dishonest than cabbies anywhere.

There is no way to tell who a taxi driver works for - in fact the vast majority are self-employed and work for themselves. Licenced taxis have a vehicle registration plate starting with an 'H'. It would be most unwise to get into a 'P' (private) plate car with a driver unknown to you.

You will naturally have read our article on taxis (Tobago/Getting Around/Taxis) so will know that the last 'official' rate we had for the transfer from Crown Point to the Tropikis is TT$33 (US$6). Given that it is only a 5-minute walk from the airport, anything more would be a rip-off.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Sam,why not ask Tropikist to meet you and take you to the hotel?
David

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”