right sized vehicle

Transport-related questions and comment
Clive

right sized vehicle

Post by Clive »

We are travelling out to Tobago in August for the first time, we have a party of two adults and four teenagers ( aged 13 - 17 ... slightly built!) and I am trying to work out what is the best type of vehicle to get around.

Have read many posts on the subject suggesting 'small is good' for the roads and the Jeeps would appear to be too small.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved as we don't want two vehicles and good seatbelts would be ideal!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Clive

You won’t find the roads a problem, coming from the UK. The roads can be compared to our own twisty B-class and unclassified local roads.

You have very limited choice on vehicle, I’m afraid. Your best bet is to have a look at Yes Tourism’s car rental pages ( http://www.yes-tourism.com ) which shows the choice from all the island’s top rental firms. Yes Tourism act as brokers. It costs you no more than booking direct, but you effectively have someone acting as your agent there, on the spot.

Your choice will depend upon budget. My personal choice would be a Mitsubishi Space Wagon (US$90 per day). I made the big mistake of hiring a Suzuki Carry (from US$55 per day - don’t even consider a non-air-conditioned model). Fine for local running about, but unless you want a riot on your hands, don’t consider it for a full island tour. We had a Nissan Serena for the final two days. Although comfortable enough, it was even more gutless than the Suzuki (I was surprised that that was possible) and so a bit of a pain to drive.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”