Daily Car Hire as opposed to a full week

Transport-related questions and comment
Ben W

Daily Car Hire as opposed to a full week

Post by Ben W »

Hi

We're off to Tobago on Thursday and have not really looked into car rental as yet.

We have no set itinerary planned as to what we're going to be doing day by day but will probably be out and about exploring on at least 4 days or so.

Will it be more economical to hire a car Day by day as we need it (we're based in Crown Point), just turning up in the AM, or would it be better to organise thing in advance or even hire one out for the full week, even though we will not be using it every day??

Does anyone know which car hire firms are best for daily rentals in Corwn Point, we'll probably be looking at a saloon as opposed to a 4x4.

Cheers
Ben
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Daily Car Hire as opposed to a full week

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ben

Everything you need to know about car rental, and more, can be found on our 'Car Rental' articles. Just select Tobago > Getting Around/Car Hire from the main menu bar at the top of any myTobago page. :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ben W

Post by Ben W »

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick response and the link to the info.

I've had a good look through there and while it mentions daily rates will be more than weekly etc (as expected), it doesn't mention as such, simply turning up on the day and taking a car out, do you have any experience of this, will they sting you for a short notice, short term rental?

Could availability be an issue at all as well??
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ben

Daily rates are just that - the rate for a 24-hour rental. It is not affected by whether you booked in advance or walked in off the street - or shouldn't be and anybody who tries to rip you off should be reported here.

Availability can always be an issue during high season, but things are so quiet this year that I doubt whether that will be a problem. Again, I can only refer you to the reports where all of this is discussed in detail.
Steve Wooler
Ben W

Post by Ben W »

Thanks again.

Cheers
Ben
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Ben,KCNN (tobagocarhire.com)is very good and if you hire for 7 days you pay for six
David :D 8)
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Hi Ben, I rent for 3 months and use Sheppy. I shopped around and think I got the best deal I could. He is easy to work with and takes good care of his vehicles. I think you can also get a free day with him and a cell phone for a weeks rental. Phil
Ben W

Post by Ben W »

Hi

Thanks all for the recommendations. Does anyone happen to know if the agencies like Sheppy's and KCNN are officially licensed in reagrds to being recognised by Credit cards who provide CDW? I've discovered my Credit Card offers free CDW if the agency is 'licensed' but it seemed impossible to find out from AMEX as to what it actually means/ involves?

Do Sheppy's or KCNN even take AMEX??

Im sure Thrifty are a 'licensed' agency but would prefer to use one of the local companies if possible.

Cheers
Ben
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ben

This is a difficult one that has been raised before and nobody seems to be able to answer. As you say, even AMEX don't seem to know what it covers. Your best bet is to contact the agencies and ask them. Assume absolutely nothing. The chances are that they won't take Amex cards anyway - AMEX have a terrible reputation and name with merchants because of their bad payment and other factors and I strongly suspect that none of the Tobago car rental outlets, including Thrifty (an agency we no longer recommend or support) are 'licenced'.
Steve Wooler
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

i think most banks here dont accept amex, so the businesses with credit card machine just can't. anyone knows a tobago bank that takes amex?
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steph

You are right, of course. I think that the only people who accept Amex are a couple of the big hotels who having banking facilities outside T&T.
Steve Wooler
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

thought so...thanks.
with travellers cheques it is different, some banks take only AMEX cheques and others only VISA...anything to make it more difficult :wink:
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Ben W

Post by Ben W »

Hi

Just to update, we did go with Thrifty in the end, as the Agency was right by the Hotel and they did take AMEX. We called AMEX before leaving and they confirmed that T&T was covered by their policy.

The service from Thrifty was perfectly adequate, the staff we encountered were polite and efficient and there was no hard selling for any additional coverage etc. The price was competitive with quotes from other agencies (via YES toursim's web site) when the CDW was covered by AMEX.

The Car wasn't the best (Mitsubishi Lancer), it wasn't bad in anyway but could have done with a bit more ooomf! But from other reports sounds like what you get on Tobago.

Ben

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”