Will I need a 4X4?

Transport-related questions and comment
Wanda F

Will I need a 4X4?

Post by Wanda F »

We will be staying in Tobago in December at Kapinjala. (Steve I know you thought we had decided on another villa and I do like the other villa but the rest of the bunch wanted to stay at Kapinjala. I think the arrival dinner and provisioning was the thing that tilted the scales.) Anyway, my question is do you think we need a 4X4 for that location and to do island sightseeing (no off road stuff)? There will be six of us, three couples, and we are trying to decide if we should get 2 smaller vehicles or 1 larger one. If we get 2 then while some are off at the beach the others can hang around the villa but not feel stranded if they decide to venture out. On the other hand if we get the larger vehicle we can all go together out to eat or sightseeing. Has anyone been in this situation and what worked best for you? We know since in the US we drive on the right side and the driver's seat is on the left side that we have to have an auto transmission. No way we can shift gears with our left hand, not and have the people of Tobago feel safe. :) Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Wanda
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Re: Will I need a 4X4?

Post by David Watkins »

Wanda,you won,t need a 4x4,and I am not sure if you can hire a 6 plus seater,although I do recall KCNN
having a small mini bus a couple of years ago.Give them a try. Otherwise I would go for two smaller vehicles.Most hire firms offer manual and auto options.
David
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

there are some " serenas" and little busses for rent, but I don't know who got them... on the other hand two vehicles make it possible to splitt up sometimes and do different things...
anyway
have fun driving
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Wanda,

a 4x4 just gives you a rougher ride and makes longer trips rather tiring.
Almost all roads in T'go can be used by normal cars, especially in the dry season (provided we have one this year :roll: )
Take two Mitsubishi Lancer or NISSAN Almera or similar. They normally come with automatic transmission and air conditioner and are available in most of the car rental places.
As for the 6-seater Mini-Bus, i remember renting one some years ago from Sherman's.
Don't know if they still have one.

Greetings from Trini

Andy

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”