Taxi Rates

Transport-related questions and comment
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Taxi Rates

Post by Steve Wooler »

If you are likely to be using taxis in Tobago, even if only for the airport transfer to and from your hotel or villa, you will find it useful to have some pre-knowledge of the correct fair. The Tobago Taxi Cab Co-Op. Society publish a list of tariffs to major places and hotels. We have reproduced this list, with other hopefully useful information, at http://www.myTobago.info/taxis.php
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Sat May 27, 2006 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Stuart

Taxi Rates

Post by Stuart »

Are the taxi rates quoted per person or per trip?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stuart

I assume you are referring to the list of fares on our Taxis (Menus: Tobago/Getting Around/Taxis) page, in which case the rates are as shown at the top of the list:
The following prices are for 1-4 passengers and are quoted in US$. These are daytime rates – costs always increase at night. Do not be afraid to haggle.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Mon May 29, 2006 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Wooler
Stuart H

Taxi Rates & Car Hire

Post by Stuart H »

In August 2004 we were frequently quoted and charged at 45TT (£4.50) for any single trip around Crown Point to Bon Accord area - a distance of around one mile. Makes London look cheap !

THE Best Taxi driver we found was Hinsdale McEwan from Airport Taxis - brilliant, efficient, punctual, and a thoroughly nice chap driving a 1968 Holden ! His kindness and reliability ensured him business for the whole of our stay and enhanced our stay in Tobago.

The worst driver, without naming names, upped the agreed fare by 20% on arrival. Needless to say he did not get any more business from our party in the remaining 12 days of the holiday. A rather short sighted approach to business which was not unique to this driver.

A car hire firm quoted us 155U$ for a car for 6 people with full collision waiver, we went through Yes Tourism and got a similar one from the same company for 90U$. Yes! Tourism are excellent, when you call ask for Tanja
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Stuart,
It’s nice to know Hinsdale and his Holden are still going, we were down at Crown Point a couple of years ago and he took us on a tour of the Island. Really knowledgeable guy, very informative with a very pleasant way about him.

Regards
Kevin
S Burls

Post by S Burls »

Just returned from Tobago and I have to say our experience with the taxis varied wildly! Taxis booked from the hotel were as, if not more, expensive than London. 'Proper' taxis picked up on the road, i.e. those NOT with a 'P' plate were much cheaper. We travelled from Scarborough back to our resort at the Grafton Beach in Black Rock for just 20TT$ - £2! The car was new and air-conditioned. A lot of the cars on the road just about seem to keep going and certainly wouldn't pass an M.O.T.!

We booked this same driver to take us out for the whole day to visit Charlotteville and Speyside in the north. He was lovely and took us also to Fort George and Pirates Bay for swimming, plus of course Jemma's Kitchen for lunch. He also made a point of taking different routes so that we could see some of the island, including some of the residential areas. We'd been out the night before so were quite tired and both fell asleep on the way back. As we'd missed out on that bit of sight-seeing he offered to take us out again on another day, (for free), to repeat that bit as he felt he hadn't given us full value! Unfortunately we were leaving a couple of days after that so didn't have the time. We were out from 10am to 5:45pm and only got back then because we had a dinner appointment in the evening. Otherwise we would have been back even later. All this for 500TT$. The driver's name is Shem Mapp. If you come across him I'd highly recommend him!!

We had considered hiring a car but decided in the end to take taxis etc and having seen the roads out there I'm glad we did. The quality of the roads isn't good and drivers tend to drive in the middle of the road to avoid potholes, playing 'chicken' with each other when facing an oncoming car to see who'll move over first! Also, whilst there aren't that many roads a junction can be confusing as a 'main' road will look pretty similar to a smaller road and signs are scarce.
H Strindberg

H for Hustle

Post by H Strindberg »

I must say that my overall experience with H-plated taxis are that they stand for Hustle. All the H-plated we took asked for like 5-10 times the price a P-plated car. And also the drivers with the P-plates were much much friendlier than the H's. (Maybe we took too few rides to generalize, but this was our experience)

Also, many P-plates just offered us a lift without expecting any money from us - this is why Tobago beats the south east asia (where pretty much everyone wants to get as much money off you as possible) Go Tobago!

And a short warning. One taxi that operates in the crown point area is a an old red american car with a taxi-sign on the roof. He, of course didnt have any change, which left the bill at TT$ 60 from Penny Savers to Bucco junction.
John Fox

Post by John Fox »

I would strongly recommend to anyone NOT to take a paid for ride in a P plate vehicle. The driver's insurance, assuming he/she has any, will be invalid as he will be uninsured for hire and reward and could mean a great financial loss to you if an accident occurs resulting in injury or worse. :cry:

This advice applies to anywhere in the world. Only ever take a paid for ride in a vehicle licensed for that purpose.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Another tip when flagging H taxis down-if it has occupants it is a route taxi which is considerably cheaper than stand taxis,Penny Savers to Buccoo would be about $TT6-8 per person!Also ask the driver if he is a route taxi and in any case if you are not sure ask the fare before getting in also if he/she quotes in US$ look elsewhere!!!!!!
David(doesn't get caught anymore).
Ps Look out for maxi taxis also,they run on similar fixed routes as the busses but are usually a dollar or two more expensive.
Mikael A

Post by Mikael A »

Yeah did use taxis alot on my trip, and it was a big history itself.

I went in new fresh and nice cars for very good prices. Crown point - new mall, 20 tt for 3 persons, back home 15 tt for 3 persons, "an that was a pick up". But this was P marked cars that picked us up.

At the same time i payed 40 tt from sandy point to pancacke house... That was H car.

To scaourburg we payed 18 tt toghter for 3 persons from airport. Back with a H marked car we payed 40 tt. But as said, Ask before really.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

May I please endorse and stress John's advice, above. Apart from the insurance angle, getting into a stranger's P-rivate care is simply asking for problems. Who are they. It may well be just someone try to make a dollar, but then again, it may be......
Steve Wooler

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”