Holiday cash

70 room 4* All-Inclusive resort at Stonehaven Bay (listing)
Colin Smith

Holiday cash

Post by Colin Smith »

Steve

Now I'm all booked up to go to Le Grand this Sat 7th I have been deliberating on the best mix of currencies to take with me. Thanks for your updated exchange rate posted on the site of £1 = 11.42TTD but this is the official bank exchange rate, not the common tourist money exchange rate which is obtainable here in the UK. The best rate available for cash notes is 10.667TTD to the pound commission free through TravelEx (online); order online and pick up at their Gatwick South Terminal outlet. May I ask you (and anyone else who is reading) what currencies you personally took to Tobago, i.e. cash or travellers cheques or mixture, TTD or US$ or both. I was initially planning to take cash in TTD plus some US$ for reserve (can always use them on trip later in year to New England). Views MUCH appreciated.

Colin 8)
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Hi Colin
I haven't actually been to Tobago yet - (25 days and counting) - but I don't think that there's any point in taking US$, it just means you have paid two exchange rates. UK£ to US$ to TT$. From what I've read here it's as easy to change UK£ in Tobago as it is to change US$.
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Hi Colin
We took some $TT for the first few days and from then on we used our VISA cashpoint card to get $TT for the rest of the holiday, the exchange rate was very good. If you are going to take travellers cheques then take pound sterling as they are exchangeable in the banks and you get a better rate than if you simply exchange cash.
Have a great holiday.
Wanda
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Colin

Yes, the rates vary so much from bank to bank that the only rough indicator I can provide is the official rates.

Julia is spot on - forget US. Yes, if you have some left over from another trip, then they're a useful backup. To be honest, I never take anything except the TT$ I might have left over from the last trip. On arrival, I simply go to the nearest cash point and draw out a couple of hundred quid.

If you're going to the LGC you are going to need very little cash. I accept that using cash machines is not the most cost effective method, but it is for me. Going in to our local bank to collect currency is the best part of an hour's round trip for me. That's a cost that should be factored in as far as I'm concerned. To be frank, I reckon I'm quids in after the couple of quid ATM charge.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Colin,I agree don't bother withUS$,take aminimum of TT$(say£100)and draw the rest against your cards(always take two in case one gets"eaten")and/or stirling TC's.The exchange rate at the banks in Tobago is far better than here and charges/commission are negligible.Have a good time,
David(131 days and counting) :D :D :D
Colin Smith

Post by Colin Smith »

Thanks Folks! Just TT$ going with me then!

3 days to go now and getting in a well laid back mood ready to "lime" when I get there! Showed my friend the forums yesterday for the first time and she was well impressed! She really is keen to let you all know how we get on at LGC next week.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

Happy hols!

Colin
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just don't exchange at the hotel.

At the Rex in Jan the rate to stirling was 8.4 compared to the rate on Yahoo around 11.5. I saw the boards at other hotels around the same.

I know they want a cut for convenience etc but that difference is just silly/greedy.

Return to “Le Grand Courlan Resort & Spa”