LGC Visit report 10-18 July 2005

70 room 4* All-Inclusive resort at Stonehaven Bay (listing)
Martin Pavey

LGC Visit report 10-18 July 2005

Post by Martin Pavey »

This was our first visit to Tobago and the first time we have stayed at an AI hotel. We are very experienced travellers and we hope not to find things the same wherever we travel, it is all part of the enjoyment and experience of visiting foreign parts. LGC was around 30% occupied during our stay and this I am sure made it all the more enjoyable.

Hotel: The hotel was kept tidy and although in places was looking a little tired, for example the pool tiling, it was clean and functional. Our room was good, very comfortable bed, bathroom was fine, and the only problem being the bathroom extractor did not work. The hot water system worked well and there were copious quantities at any time of the day. The A/C worked but we turned that off and used the ceiling fan and opened the patio doors to acclimatise us to the outside temperature.

Staff: The experience of staying at a hotel can be made or marred by the attitude of the staff. I am very happy to report that the staff at LGC were very friendly, helpful, and courteous during our stay. Their attitude was one of helpful friendliness and I have nothing but thanks and praise for them.

Location. The hotel is located on Stonehaven Bay and access to the beach is from a hotel gate, which closes at 6pm. The beach was nearly deserted whenever we went down, and is ideal for a quiet stroll. Be aware however of the Aloe and mango sellers who pester you whenever you set foot on the beach. A useful hint is to immediately turn right on leaving the hotel gate, walk along the road 50m to the bar, and then go onto the beach (after stopping for a drink which is included as part of your hotel deal). The sellers seem to congregate at the beach entrance opposite the hotel gate. Someone who was staying at LGC made the mistake of giving the mango seller some money, and then they couldn't get rid of him whenever they went down to the beach. If you get pestered like that, report it to the hotel.

Drinks: LGC is an AI resort and that means all drinks, apart from champagne and bottles of wine are included. The wine they were serving was good at the start of our stay, and was served from the bottle, but deteriorated later in the week when it was being served from bags. The bagged wine was very poor in our opinion. Spirits are top quality branded and cocktails are made using the same. Beer is the local Carib, which is fine, especially on a hot day. The beach bar did serve up some odd tasting beer, and I never found out why as we only drank there once.

Meals: We both are veggie, which usually doesn't cause us any problems as we enjoy most vegetables and are happy simply by not having the meat or fish. However, the food at LGC was, in our opinion, quite poor and following our usual technique meant we were eating potatoes, pasta or rice plus cauliflower or broccoli and carrots or brussel sprouts and peas every day for lunch and dinner. These vegetables were tasteless and clearly from frozen as they were exactly the same size, colour and shape every meal. We made friends with the cook on our first night there and she kindly made us a sauce from cheese or tomato, to go on our veggies whenever she could, but after a week we really wanted better than that. One night they had a veggie pasta dish on the menu, but the soup, and all the starters, were non-veggie. The pasta dish was horrible. The pasta was boiled to death, and the sparse sauce was virtually tasteless. We really had expected hot, spicy Caribbean sauces, but unfortunately did not get served anything with any real flavour at all. What might have been the best meal for us, a variety of curry dishes was served for lunch one day when we were out on a trip, so we missed that.

Breakfast was probably the best meal for us highlighted by the delightful small birds coming down to drink unguarded orange juices left on tables while the guests were off getting more food. The easy way to stop the birds getting at the juice is to put your coffee cup on top of the glass. The fruit juices tasted like they were made from concentrate, were very sweet, and had little flavour. The cheese served was mostly processed and flavourless, though they sometimes served Camembert, which was better. The fresh fruit, something you might expect on a tropical island, was not however good quality and was mostly hard and tasteless.

So all in all we found the food at LGC disappointing, and clearly made from low cost ingredients. This was underlined after we had lunch one day at Castara Beach and were served a superb veggie dish with a host of spicy veggies.

The Caribbean Bistro always serves buffet style meals but be careful that the temperature of the food is kept high enough to prevent bacteria multiplication. I suffered the squits after eating rice there one day, probably not a good choice given the possibly poor temperature control. Other times the food there was quite hot.

So all in all we found this not a great dining experience. We did have contact with the meat and fish when we got some for the cats, however it looked a rather unappetising grey colour and smelt strongly after a few hours in our room fridge.

Spa: As there were a low number of guests we had no trouble rescheduling our treatments and enjoyed the experience. My toenails are still shining!!

In conclusion, and despite our disappointment with the food quality, we had a great time at LGC, and carnivores may view the menu differently.
Jeanette Brown

Planned visit to LGC

Post by Jeanette Brown »

Many thanks for your travel report - it was extremely useful (I was eagerly awaiting your verdict). I have booked to go to LGC in December with my sister and like many others have been very confused about the quality of the hotel. I have been fortunate to travel extensively with my husband but this will by my sister's first holiday of this kind so I obviously don't want her to be disasppointed. Hayes & Jarvis have agreed to move us to the Coco Reef (at a cost) but I must admit I am still confused as to whether to stick with the LGC. :?

Jeanette
Guildford.
Martin Pavey

Post by Martin Pavey »

Hello Jeanette,

Fortunately for us, we hadn't spent a lot of time looking at the hotel reports before booking our holiday, indeed if we had seen all the conflicting reports I fear it may possibly have dissuaded us from travelling to Tobago which would have been a real shame as the island is superb and the people are so very friendly.

This was our first AI experience, and given our preference for veggie food, probably something we will not repeat. We have travelled extensively to most parts of the world staying mainly in B&B or self catering, and I think this would be just brilliant on Tobago giving more flexibility, something an AI stay doesn't give you unless you pay again to dine out on top of what you have already paid for the hotel.

The reason we booked LGC was the "adults only" policy and the fantastic price we got booking just 7 days before we went. As I indicated before, the hotel was around 30% occupied, so no wonder we got a good deal.

We enjoyed our stay on Tobago, ok the hotel food was not what we had hoped for, but everything else was great, we had a brilliant time.

Martin
Also in Guildford.
Jeanette Brown

LGC visit

Post by Jeanette Brown »

Hello Martin

The food side of things does bother me as my preference is veggie too and definitely not the bland overcooked variety. We got a reasonable deal for the holiday but it will still be a lot of money if we come away with that 'never again' feeling! We selected the hotel based on the no kids criteria and thought 4* would be a safe option...

Can you also confirm if bottles of water are included in the AI deal?

Would you say that the other concerns mentioned such as state of repair (especially bathrooms), noisy air con, dodgy / unclean pool area / dodgy sunbeds etc are unfounded?

It sounds like the staff are OK so that would make a big difference.

Many thanks
Jeanette
Martin Pavey

Post by Martin Pavey »

Hello again Jeanette,

Water was always available from the LGC bar, they had cool water dispensers, but we didn't find bottled water available, but didn't feel we needed it.. Tobago has clean water that may be drunk straight from the tap, and I admit it tasted fresh and clean to me. On an AI stay, the tendency is to drink more refined liquids!!!!!!

Our bathroom was clean and functional, apart from the extractor not working. Our air-con worked fine and was not too noisy but we didn't use it as the weather was quite hot and humid and having the air-con continually running we feel makes it a shock to the system when you go outside. In hot and humid conditions we prefer to keep a ceiling fan running with windows open at night. The ceiling fan was silent and kept a gentle air current moving round the room. We never once felt over heated during our week there despite not running the air-con.

The pool is large sized, 6'0" deep in the deep section, with a swim up bar at one end. We were very lucky as mostly it would only be us in the pool, or at worse, 2 or 3 other people. The technique is to get in the pool, swim up to the bar, partake of your favourite cocktail, relax for a few minutes, swim 2 lengths, and repeat. The pool is showing some signs of wear and tear, some tiles are missing or have been grouted over in places, but the water was very clean with little signs of debris even after the hurricane brushed by. Considering the pool has quite a few trees and bushes nearby, there was a huge potential for leaves etc.. to find their way into the water so I guess some early morning work is done to keep the pool clean. The water didn't taste overtly chemical, and it certainly didn't make my eyes sore, which swimming in the sea did, and so, apart from a few small untidy areas, was very good.

The sunbeds looked good, I didn't see any that were damaged, and I suspect they all have been, or at least the cushions, replaced fairly recently.

So it's down to the food. I wonder if the busier months like December may see better food provision than we encountered recently. It really is quite difficult as what I may find acceptable someone else may deem as awful, and vice versa, a difficult area to quantify and describe. Having looked at the LGC reviews since our return, I sometimes thought I stayed in a different hotel both from a "it was never that bad" and also from a "it was never that good" point of view. Of course this doesn't help you and I fear that there may not be a way for you to really know before you get there.

It would be quite useful, for you, and for my own interest, to have someone who really thought the food was great during their visit to join in with this conversation so we can see what differences there might be during various times of the year etc.. My belief is that with a hotel 30% full, the food provision is not going to be as good as when the hotel is full. OK I didn't have the long queues and delays, but I guess the majority of the kitchen staff also weren't there, so food preparation will be made much simpler and easier. This is born of the predominance of buffet meals during our stay.

I have tried to be realistic in my description of what we found, especially the food, but as I indicated earlier, different peoples expectations, of the food especially, makes it difficult to equate your own expectations to those described, especially when the descriptions vary so much.

Best regards,

Martin
Guildford.
Claire Walne

I feel I have to disagree.

Post by Claire Walne »

My husband and I stayed at LCG from the 7th of July to the 22nd and we had a wonderful time.

I am afraid I have to disagree with much of what Martin has said. Obviously he is expressing his opinion and thus is entitled but I can't help but feel the need to step in here and give a contrasting view.

Hotel:

If you are expecting a European type Hilton style hotel then you have booked the wrong holiday. LCG is 12 years old and yes, in some minor areas, it could use a 'lick of paint'. However the hotel in general is exceptionally clean and tastefully decorated. We had the oppertunity to stay in two rooms while we were there and found both rooms to be large and comfortable with beautiful views of the beach.
The pool is clean and well maintained. I personally did not notice any wear and tear but then I wasn't being particularly scrutinising in my view.
The service at the pool bar is always pleasant, friendly and helpful. An added delight is the evening canape service which occurs around 6pm every evening.
Cold water is always available and bottled drinking water (if you wish it) can be bought in the hotel shop for a reasonable price.
The evening ice and beach towels service was also greatly appreciated!
While we were there the hotel was about 70% occupied although towards the end of the holiday it was possibly only 50% occupied.

Food:
I personally didn't have a problem with the food served in the hotel.

There was a great degree of variety and the additional fact that LCG has chosen not to operate a buffet style meal every evening (as is found in many AI resorts) was an added delight.

As Martin has mentioned the traditionally British veg - Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower were of the frozen variety - I don't really think anything else can be expected as none of the above veg are traditional in Carribean cooking and I doubt they are grown on the island.

We loved the breakfasts as the fresh fruit was delicious- sweet and juicy and totally unlike the bland manufactured food you will find at home.

The various squash,lentil, bean and spicy veg dishes (such as the roti) that were frequesntly served as part of lunch were all delicious and tasty.

I would agree that as a vegetarian at times you might struggle to find a meal in the evenings - but it has to be remembered that the Carribean diet highly features meat and seafood and the hotel is attempting to offer guests a flavour of local foods. I asked the hotel management about this issue and they said that if guests inform them in advance they will do their best to accomodate specific dietary requirements.

I have to add that in the week of the 10th-18th of July hurricane Emily arrived and although the hotel itself did not sustain any damage their suppliers did.

Many of the hotels in Tobago rely on supplies coming from Trinidad. Hurricane Emily effectively halted these supply routes for a number of days. This meant that the hotel ran short on some items of food and drink. Personally I didn't actually notice and thought the whole situation was handled very well but I did have the misfortune of overhearing other guests complaining about certain things having run out and I was deeply embarrassed.

The beach:

My husband and I enjoyed many a walk on the beach and spent quite a few hours swimming in the beautifully warm sea. My husband was even taught to 'bodysurf' by one of the barmen on his day off. I have to say that at no point were we harrassed by people selling anything despite being there most days. The cove at the end of the beach is generally very calm and a good place for nervous swimmers.

The drinks policy:
We found this to be extremely flexible. On a few occassions my husband and I decided to retire to our room ( I had hurt my ankle on the rainforest excursion). In order to save my husband going back and forth between the room and the bar we were given a number of bottles of our chosen mixer and a plastic cup full of our chosen spirits and told to 'relax and enjoy' by the bar staff. What more could you ask for?

I hope that some of what I have said has put your mind at rest Jeanette.

We had such a good time in Tobago that we considered staying for a third week at LCG. It's not out-of-this-world luxury but it is a lovely hotel. The staff are obliging and friendly and will happily chat away about things to do and places to go and see.

I must recommend the trips to Little Tobago and The Rainforest Excursion- both of these were fantastic. We regret not getting the chance to go on a few more trips but hurricanes and twisted ankles got in the way!
The hotel offer a booking service for most trips- this is free and very easy to use. Their prices are competitive and the service is excellent.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend LCG based solely on the quality of service, the staff and the truly relaxing atmosphere.

If you can fit it in I would recommend the hour long swedish massage in the spa- true bliss.
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

Claire,
Cauliflower is grown in T&T. http://www.guardian.co.tt/archives/2003 ... ness1.html

On our first visit, staying at the Blue Waters, I remember being surprised that my fish was accompanied by carrots, cabbage, and cauliflower -- all fresh. I can tell frozen, as I have freezer full. I had thought that those crops were cool-weather vegetables, but obviously they thrive in the tropics, too. I can't remember seeing a brussels sprout. I might have seen a broccoli ... but I'm not sure.
Martin Pavey

Post by Martin Pavey »

Hello Claire,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your husband while we were at LGC, and despite our differences in opinion over the quality of the food; it appears we both think much the same about the hotel, the facilities and its staff, which we found all very good.

I cannot think of a way to give Jeanette an idea of what her stay will be like apart from her reading all the reports, and then evaluating the comments based on what is most important for her during a holiday. As we can see, everyone is different and what one finds excellent another may find poor. What would be great is for a recognised authority, eg. Raymond Blanc, to give their opinion, but I guess that is unlikely to happen so we only have a range of disparate views from guests on which to base our expectations. Clearly everyone’s “home” lifestyle is different, the foods they eat, the entertainment they seek, and the company they enjoy, and it is upon this “norm” that comparisons with the holiday will naturally be based.

Don’t get me wrong about our experience at LGC in Tobago, we had a brilliant time, and although we wouldn’t want to go AI again, are keen to go back and further explore the beautiful island of Tobago.

Martin
Guildford
Jeanette Brown

LGC - to go or not to go!

Post by Jeanette Brown »

Firstly, thankyou so much Martin & Claire for your very descriptive comments - they have really helped and I actually think that my mind has been put at rest and my expectations have been managed on food etc. Will definitely try the swim / cocktail break / swim routine and the swedish massage!

Decision day will be by 1st October but unless there are any more really adverse comments (such as the one with the photos earlier this year) then LGC here we come!

Jeanette - Guildford (Burpham!)
Martin Pavey

Post by Martin Pavey »

Jeanette,

I don't know if you will be wanting to go on some excursions while on Tobago, but here are some links to the messages on this site about the things we did.

http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2736 - 4x4Tour
http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2731 - Catamaran cruise
http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2575 - Rainforest Birdwatch

I don't know if you are interested in wildlife and birds, but there is a small bird sanctuary a few minutes walk from LGC where at 8:00am and 4:00pm every day the warden feeds the wild birds. They have nectar feeders for small birds and hummingbirds, and the larger birds are given grain/seed etc. Alfred Hitchcock had nothing on this, hundreds of birds suddenly descended from the trees when the feed was put out, a most amazing thing to see.

After feeding, you can accompany the warden as he walks around the sanctuary where he will point out the birds and flora. If you are at all interested in birds, you must do this, the birds on Tobago are simply stunning in variety and interest. On the same topic we saw hummingbirds feeding on the flowering shrubs in the grounds of LGC.

I took plenty of video of the places we visited on our trip, including the hotel. If you want a pre-visit taste of what you might see there, drop me an email (button at end of this message) and I'll send you a CD.

I bet you are getting excited about your trip!!!!

Martin
Guildford
Tracey Harrison

Post by Tracey Harrison »

Martin, did the warden have his gorgeous dog with him still? When we were there, he had the cutest dog with him, tan and white and long haired. It was so mischievous, kept putting its head down lizard holes to try to sniff them out!
Martin Pavey

Post by Martin Pavey »

Hi Tracey,

I have to hold my hand up and say I can't really remember. I think the warden we met had 2 mid sized black dogs with him. They were around when we arrived but didn't mix with the visitors or accompany us on the walk and were waiting back at the sanctuary when we returned. I think if one of them had been the dog you describe, I would have remembered him (and wanted to bring him home).

Regards,
Martin
Guildford

Return to “Le Grand Courlan Resort & Spa”