Guest Report

200 room resort at Lowlands (listing)
Craig Gardner

Guest Report

Post by Craig Gardner »

Myself, my wife and our two boys aged 6 and 13 stayed at MG for two weeks in mid to late July.

Very beautiful setting, calm, peaceful, cool with the Atlantic breeze and only a short distance from the airport of approximately 20 minutes by cab. The food overall was very good indeed. Breakfast was fresh with a wide selection and eggs / omelettes to order. Lunch? well what a choice, we liked to eat at Salaka Grill and watch the Pelicans diving for fish. Dinner was either in the buffet in Pembois or a la carte in Kalina which would give many Michelin Star restaurants a run for their money. Beverages were a little disappointing as the house red and white wasn’t very good and the cocktails and juices were mostly from puree, however if you just drank beer or spirits all was good (-: The overall quality of the hotel was also very good and certainly deserves its 4 stars if not more. Extensive grounds planting and maintenance were in evidence and all in all the gardens are coming on very nicely. The rooms are also nice with neutral colours, freshly decorated, comfy big beds and balconies out almost onto the beach. We had a 2 bed suite and 2 of the 3 bathrooms needed maintenance as they leaked very badly and the Jacuzzi didn’t work but again was promptly repaired. Small things but they should have been checked. Now this is the Caribbean so let’s be real about service. The majority of staff we met were lovely and would always engage in a chat if you made the effort. There were a few who were downright surly and rude but if you address this at the time as I did then it’s not a big issue. We had a lovely time and our kids (very well behaved and polite) didn’t stay still for 5 minutes. We were also lucky enough to watch a giant leatherback laying eggs which made our holiday. If you want a superb guide ask at reception for Wagon, he’s a hoot and very knowledgeable about the island and takes you to the faraway places. Went to the gym most days and it was empty! Would we go back, yes. Definitely recommend it for a family vacation with the only real downside being the constant signing of bills even when on all inclusive.

Return to “Magdalena Grand Beach Resort”