bar prices

200 room resort at Lowlands (listing)
Alan Weightman
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

bar prices

Post by Alan Weightman »

we will be staying at the resort on a half board basis. I have been told that drinks prices are high. Is this the case and if so are there any other bars / restaurants near by that would be more reasonable and worth a visit . We will not have our own transport. Flying out next week. cant wait.
alan
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: bar prices

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Alan

It is true that drink prices in any of the big hotels are likely to be very much higher than in local bars. Apart from anything else, the hotels have an extra 10% Hotel Tax to charge.

If you have a self-drive car, then you will have no problem getting out to smaller local bars where you can enjoy reduced prices. The hotel is too far from any bars to consider walking. The nearest that I could recommend would be Cafe Mia (see our Tobago > Maps & Regions - Cafe Mia is the first marker north-west of the hotel) - about a mile and a half in walking terms.

If you haven't got a hire car, then you have no option, I'm afraid - the cost of a taxi would far exceed the higher price of drinks.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Alan Weightman
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Alan Weightman »

thanks steve dont mind paying brit prices but dont want to be ripped off. alan
Murray
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Murray »

Alan,

Bar prices in the Magdalena are certainly higher than average. A beer (1/2 pint bottle) of Carib or Stag will cost around 27TT (£2.70) + tax in the hotel, probably almost twice the price that you'd pay in many of the restaurants around the island. Not outlandish by UK standards, but higher than is really necessary. As Steve says, there is nowhere else within walking distance as the Clubhouse at the golf course is currently closed for "renovations", I'm afraid.

Return to “Magdalena Grand Beach Resort”