Starfish resort (Turtle Beach) Review wanted

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Brad
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Starfish resort (Turtle Beach) Review wanted

Post by Brad »

I was just wondering if anyone has any new information on the Starfish resort run by Sunwing.

We are two couples coming from Canada early this year and have been sorting our way through
many reviews . Lots and lots . Many bogus .

Since following this site I have noticed that you do a great job responding to, and helping out
where you can . Your honesty and ability to post warnings for the public caught my eye. Thanks to
all that work on ,and for this site.

We have already booked our trip , but are looking for an upfront review on any upgrades or
downfalls to be aware of since Sunwings possession .
Planning to make the best of it . Also very excited for our first time to Tobago. Seems like a great
place . Can t wait.
Brad
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Starfish resort (Turtle Beach) Review wanted

Post by Steve Wooler »

Welcome aboard, Brad, and thanks for your kind comments. :D

I wish I could tell you more. Unfortunately, like Rex Resorts before them, Sunwings seem to take a very peculiar attitude towards the press/media. In other words: ignore them and they might go away. We have written to them several times trying to make contact with the Tobago management and get news of what's going on there, but have never even had the courtesy of a reply. They seem to take the same attitude towards the rest of the Tobago business community and appear to operate in a bubble far removed from the rest of the island community.

The last time I went past the hotel (March 2019), I'm afraid the exterior was looking dreadfully in need of TLC. Hopefully they've at least given it a lick of paint since then. Still, the hotel has always been great value for money.

Don't worry, I'm sure that you will have a wonderful holiday on Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Greyson366
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Greyson366 »

This was our first visit to Tobago and we couldn't have chosen better.

The best thing about Starfish is the staff. Lovely location, quiet, secluded beach good choice of food in a perfect setting on the beachside. , friendly, professional. There was a good selection for lunch, either going to the buffet restaurant or to D Bay grill, which was my favorite, being open-air and between the gardens and beach and had a good selection of salads, burgers, fish, pizza or sandwiches.
Brad
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Brad »

Thank you Greyson366 . This information is great . It confirms our judgement from other sites without having to wonder if they are fake reviews.
Steve . Thank you for your quick response . I am not surprised of the " Bubble " attitude . It seems to me in general, that most of the bigger resorts anywhere want to keep all the tours , trips , and bookings going through them, so as to get their cut of as much as possible .We decided to go this way for our first trip to Tobago , but who knows where this will lead us. We are just so excited to see this wonderful sounding island .
Thank you again.
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

for those familiar with the old turtle beach hotel not much seems to have changed, at least on the outside. refurbishment seems to be radiating outwards from the pool area but not at great pace. communal areas are largely unchanged

i often go strolling on turtle beach and have taken to stopping at the beach cafe/bar/snack shop - good service, pleasant staff and very reasonably priced i think. will continue to make a stop there when i'm in the area, coffee is tasty and i get 3 cups from a pot !

not much around you so plan carefully if looking to do any form of shopping etc. you will need a rental vehicle if looking to explore independently. there is a selection of small locally oriented stores in black rock and a little cluster of eateries, bars etc just a little further along (around stonehaven bay). there's even an ATM there now. erm, and a pizza place (chain, not artisan !)

that coast has precious little shade away from the built environment so take great care if venturing out of the grounds and onto the beach proper - the sun does a real number on the beaches up there. dont underestimate the "real feel" heat if out and about on foot, especially away from the coastal breezes.

paul
Brad
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Brad »

Thanks to all for your tips and reviews. We have arrived back in Canada after a great week in Tobago. Yes the improvements are moving slow
but the staff make up for any tiredness in the resort. Everything was clean and comfortable including rooms and beds .There was a good variety of food , and we always found enough that we liked . Went for a great tour of the island and loved it . The people of Tobago are proud of their island, and this reflects in the way they do their everyday tasks and how they treat [newbies] like us . We had a great time and can't wait to go back .
Richard B
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Richard B »

We visited Turtle Beach 3 times so became Gold Returners which would of allowed us to qualify as returners at any Rex resort.

What I can say is that slow pace pretty much sums up Tobago. They still hadn't fully cleared the last major hurricane to hit in our last visit in 2004 and the hurricane was (I think) 1966 or so.

The location was what made the place for us and the ability to get a room on leaving day until departure time so you can enjoy the beach then wash off before the flight home but being the only hotel on that beach - wow. Never really used the pool as the sea was so nice.

We would love to go back, we honeymooned in 2001 but I was ill so flown out to Miami for treatment so we went back in 2002 to do it properly. We found a great local church who prayed with us including that we would have children so returned in 2004 to show off our 11 month baby boy. He had an instant fan club with the staff. Now the children are older and we could go back without them :P.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”