Gardens

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Marc Jones

Gardens

Post by Marc Jones »

They grown back yet (since the pool work)?

Just curious, I'll see for myself in 2 weeks :lol:

Here's hoping I get a room facing the beach along from the pool!
iansmithofotley
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Marc,

All of the rooms face on to the beach and are along from the pool. Rooms are accessed from the 'road' side of the hotel and go through to look towards the sea. All of the rooms are in blocks which are almost in one long line overlooking the beach.The width of the beach varies slightly and the thickness and height of the trees varied before the new building work was carried out. Also, your view will be affected depending on whether you are in a ground floor room or a first floor room.

Ian.
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Having just returned from the Rex Turtle Beach yesterday, I feel fairly qualified to answer this one. We have not visited before, so cannot comment if the gardens are better or worse than before, but we found the gardens lovely. There were a variety of plants and some in full bloom. We didn't feel that the gardens were 'not established' as someone here had once said, they just looked neat & tidy. The new pool that has taken some of the gardens away is great.

With regard to the rooms - we were in room 245 which has a good view. It is quite a walk to reception, restaurant & pool, but it was worth it for the spectacular view. We particularly wanted to be away from the pool and the children that were there (having left our own at home). Our friends stayed in room 348 and that was an even better view (as long as you don't mind the stairs), but was obscured to the left by a wall. So next time, we are going to ask for room 347 - we feel that this room as the best view - although next year the beetle nut trees may have grown to obscure the brilliant view !
The ground floor rooms are nice, but do not get the same view as the beach slopes quite steeply to the sea and therefore, you cannot see the waves coming in.

Hope you have a great time and say hello to the wonderful friendly staff for us - I'm just going to surf the web now to book for next year!
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

I'm just keen to avoid looking out at the pool. I've tried emailing the Rex to ask for this as I assume once I arrive that's that.

I'd love to be able to go back but it's unlikely, waited 8 years for this (ie no holiday at all!) and it really will be trip of a lifetime, hence the desire for a beautiful view as soon as I wake up!

On that note, is it possible to watch the sun rise at the Rex? Or would I have to take a trip elsewhere? Sorry if that's a daft question!
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Not a daft question Marc, but the sun rises on the Atlantic side of the island. You will be staying on the Caribbean side (and the most beautiful) and you will see some fantastic sunsets.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

OK. My girlfriend wants to see a sunrise, anyone got any good places to do so? I'll have a jeep for the two weeks so transport is not a problem!

Thanks for the help. You gotta love this place!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Marc

Like sunset, it's always hit and miss. Most of the rain falls overnight in Tobago, so it's quite normal to find that it's somewhat cloudy first thing in the morning. By 8-9am the sun is up and burns off the early morning cloud, but it means that nice sunrises are not as predictable as sunsets. With the weather the way it has been of late, you would have to be particularly keen to get up before 5am to be in position.

Anyway, I think you're staying at the Rex Turtle Beach aren't you? In that case, my personal suggestion would be Tobago Plantations - basically Little Rockly Bay, between the Hilton and Lambeau.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Brilliant. Many thanks for the info.

Will see how I get on!

(praying for the rain to disappear soon!)

Return to “Starfish Tobago”