First Time - advice please!

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Debs

Post by Debs »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 11 February 2003

Hi, Can anyone please help me out a bit! I am going to Tobago for the first time on Feb 22nd, for 1 week - all inclusive - to the Rex Turtle Beach, which from the brochure looks wonderful. Since booking, I have heard since heard some negative things about the hotel, saying that the food isn't great, its shabby, the swimming pool is not suitable for swimming and if you go onto the beach you will be badly pestered by beggars - Has anyone been and can you tell me if this is true?

Secondly - I looked on the foreign office website, and was concerned to find that they say crime against tourists remains a problem, and that you should avoid isolated beaches and always travel by taxi at night. I must admit I was looking forward to isolated beaches and going out at night, especially to Sunday School - again can anyone please tell me how safe is safe? Do you really have to be 'that careful'?

Lastly - I was going to hire a jeep or car for a couple of days, but have heard some bad things - like road standards, accidents, damaged/unreliable vehicles, then on top of that you should only go anwhere with a registered guide. Again can anyone give me the truth?

Sorry for the lengthy note, but as they say - if you don't ask! Thanks in advance.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

First time - advice please!

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Debs.

Fear not – you’re going to have a wonderful holiday. Plenty has been said about the Rex Turtle Beach here during the past couple of weeks and I particularly recommend Michelle Edward’s post “Rex Turtle Beach – My View” posted on 6th February. From everything I’ve seen and heard, this is a 100% accurate assessment of the hotel. As I said to someone else just the other day - yes, it could do with a slap of paint but who’s going to be looking at the hotel when you’re on one of the best beaches on the island.

Yes, the pool is very small and like everywhere else, there are a few beach vendors that make the rounds – but in that respect the island suffers nowhere near the problems of every other destination I’ve visited in recent years. Most beach vendors will wander on, without ill humour, if you politely, but firmly, say ‘no’. Watch out for Mr Blue – an elderly local guy who wanders around with a small guitar. Before you can say a word, he will start serenading you and appear to be making up a rhyme saying how lovely your eyes are, etc. Once he starts it’s difficult to stop him, but if he finishes he will demand a ‘blue’ – a TT$100 (£10/US$16). He never becomes aggressive, but he can leave you feeling like a cheat and it’s highly embarrassing. Also watch out for Aloe Vera ladies. Claudia on Grafton beach is the worst. They try to massage you with soothing pure Aloe Vera – but once they’ve laid a hand on you they will demand payment. These people really are the exception in Tobago - which is why it is so easy to identify and name them.

With regard to security, have a look at the main Information pages of myTobago.info and the Security section in particular. I truly believe that Tobago is the safest island in the Caribbean and a 100 times safer than London, for example. Yes, crime is on the increase – as everywhere. You must be careful on isolated beaches – petty thieves can hide in bushes and shrubbery at the back of quiet beaches and steal valuables whilst you are swimming. Yes, beach bums (gigolos) might try to pick you up at Sunday School (even if you’re with your partner), but it’s always good-humoured and I bet you go away with more of a smile on your face that annoyance. Simply apply common sense. Don’t carry a lot of money and certainly don’t wear flashy jewellery – all the same precautions you would follow at home.

The Foreign Office are over-reacting because they screwed up over Bali. You certainly don’t need a guide. Totally ignore the advise of tour reps on this subject – they are simply trying to sell you guided tours etc. Kuoni seem to be the worst at this – I’ve had four emails on the subject since someone named and shamed them in the forum last week.

Yes, road standards are not like home. The roads are awful, but have improved considerably in recent years. The driving here is a joke – I don’t think I’ve seen a turn indicator in four weeks and they think nothing of stopping, without warning, right in the middle of the road. There’s a speed limit of 50Kph (around 30mph) and to be frank, you can seldom exceed that, so accidents tend to be minor. Finally, my feelings about car hire (and those of others) are well-documented in this forum. It is by far the BEST way to get the maximum out Tobago but if your first visit, you should really consider a full island tour to get a better understanding of the island and its layout.

One way or the other, follow he advice of readers in this forum and I guarantee you’ll have a brilliant holiday and that this will be your first visit of many. Let us know how you get on, please.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Debs

Post by Debs »

Thanks so much for the reply. I had read so many conflicting things I was beginning to think I was going crazy! My confidence has been fully restored and I can honestly say I can't wait to get there. I am really looking forward to the rain forest trips I have been reading about, lots of sunshine, plenty of rest and generaly forgetting about the everyday things London has to offer. Sorry to keep asking lots of different things, but do you know what the rain forest trips entail and how long they are? I know its something I don't want to miss out on, regardless! Thanks again.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Debs,

you won't have any problems in Tobago if you are sensible - my wife and I have visited about 10 times in the last few years, satying in different places, and have never been robbed, or even felt threatened, despite visiting quiet beaches (there is almost always at least one other couple and an ice cream or drink vendor knocking about anyway, so stay within sight). We loved Sunday School, my wife danced with several friendly local guys who were perfect gents. You can pre-book taxis for the return trip - use your hotel firm. There are police down there anyway, and bouncers at the Hendrix Bar (worth a visit), but never any aggression and plenty of tourists mixing in with the local vibe.

Rain-forest trips need not be a major expedition - some of the best waterfalls are 10-30 minute gentle hikes off the roads, where there are carparks and licensed guides (eg Argyle - stunning). However, if you are more adventurous you could go on an organised hike into the forests or alone with a guide - the choice is yours. There is also a jeep safari, but it ain't the Masai Mara! By the way, Turtle Beach is stunning, and the staff are renowned for being a lot more friendly than any of the staff in the posher hotels (I ended up employing an ex cook and an ex gardener from there, nice people).

Have a great trip,
Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Debs

Post by Debs »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 12 February 2003

Thanks for this reply too - I can't wait to get there now. I must admit that the reports I had read about the food at the hotel being 'rationed', stray dogs being on someone's patio and dirty bed linen coupled with the Foreign Office saying crime remaining a problem, had made me wonder if I was doing the right thing! Roll on 22nd!
Michelle Edwards

Post by Michelle Edwards »

The Rex is a great place to stay and relax with the added bonus of being in one of the best locations on the island. I am returning to Great Courland beach for Xmas and New Year and although not stopping at the Rex this time I would thoroughly reccommend it. If I am very honest there are a couple of dogs and they are no problem at all. If you ignore them they ignore you and to be honest you do not see much of them as they are tuked away in the shade. Sre tehy Strays!!?? I don't think so......taking advantage of a few softies at the hotel who feed them more likely and certainly no bother. I truly recommend a walk along the beach before breakfast, it makes you feel better when you 'pig out' on the 'Full English', cereals, fruit, toast and pastries. I wish you a truly wonderful holiday on the best island in the Carribean.
Steve Wooler

First time - advice please!

Post by Steve Wooler »

Seriously, Debs - forget all the stories, you're in for a great holiday. Just a note for everyone - please don't feed the stray dogs. Sad to say, once you are kind to them they will not leave you alone. You may be happy to feed them, but what about the people adjacent or who come after you? I say this as a dog lover. However, feeding the local strays does create a problem for others. They are also flea-ridden, so watch out!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Debs

Post by Debs »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 13 February 2003

Thanks again to everyone for their replies. I am so grateful. I can't wait to get there now - I even pulled the dusty suitcase out of the basement last night! Thanks again everyone, I'll write a report when I get back on everything I managed to fit into my week.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”