Anyone just returned from Rex Turtle Beach?

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Anna Blackman

Anyone just returned from Rex Turtle Beach?

Post by Anna Blackman »

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has recently returned from staying at the Rex Turtle Beach??

My Husband & I are going for 2 weeks in March & and I am slightly concerned about the reviews I have been reading about the hotel.

We are going mainly to scuba dive so dont suppose we will spend a great deal of time at the hotel but my parents are joining us & may well spend more time there than us.

Any comments greatly appreciated - its our first time to Tobago and hope it wont be the last!!

Thanks
Anna
LynnEvans

Post by LynnEvans »

I have posted a personal reply to Anna and am writing this as I feel Franco really should shut up and stop going back to the my tobago website as he obviously hates the place so much. I am sorry for him as he obviously has nothing better to do with his time but moan and upset other people.
I was really worried before I went to Tobago to the rex back in October, mainly due to comments made by this man way back then.

In truth, My husband and I had a fanfastic holiday in an unspolied island paradise which had an abundance of fresh fruit and coconuts growing everywhere.
All I can say is to anyone else worried, please do loads of research, know what to expect and what you want from your holiday and go with the flow!

Lynn
Ian Miles

Rex Turtle Beach

Post by Ian Miles »

Hi
Have a look at the pictures in "hello everybody" in the General Questions and Comment forum.

Ian
Bill And Kate

Post by Bill And Kate »

Hello There,
We returned from a week at "The Rex" on 2/1/05. It was our first visit to Tobago, and definately won't be our last. It is fantastic, an island paradise.
The hotel we found, was excellent. The quantity and variety of food was excellent too. We were a little concerned before we left after reading some reviews regarding the food and the staff. Honestly both are fine.
We were greeted on the hotel steps with a cool towel and a rum punch, which was most welcome after an awful flight thanks to Excel Airways (more about that another time). Our luggage was taken to our room for us, which was very spacious, well equipped and very clean.
Every member of staff we encounted were really friendly.

We also had three diving trips whilst there, I can recommend "Ecodives" they're in the next beach down the coast (Fort Bennet) We were picked up from the hotel by them and dropped off at the end too. Let me know if you want there phone number. Say hello to Andrew the owner and Doyle(007) from Bill & Kate if you go with them, we saw turtles, rays, seahorses and everything !!!

Have a good holiday, I know you will.

P.S If you get chance, go and see "Engine Bobb" on the bach near the hotel. He works out of a tiny shack on the beach carving Kalabash. Well worth a visit and a chat. You can't me him, he's 7 foot tall with 5 foot long dreadlocks !!

Cheers

Bill & Kate
Dave Martin

Feedback on the RTB

Post by Dave Martin »

:D
Hi.
Myself and my wife are both experienced divers and have spent a week diving from the RTB in both 2003 and 2004 and massively enjoyed both trips. Happy to share our opinions for what they are worth. I will give an overview but feel free to contact me if you want more detail. Can forward some photos if of any interest (above and under water).
Critics in this forum are quite correct that for the perfect hotel go to Dubai, reef: the sudan, beach the Maldives, rainforest Brazil....but if you want a unique and unrushed, unspoiled package of the lot then you will find Tobago hard to beat.
We have stayed at the hotel before and since the new pool and it does feel more balanced now albeit a bit less unusual. The food is very good but not wonderful, the service is more than adequate and always friendly, the rooms are spacious and clean but low on gadgets and frills but who cares(we requested far end of the complex on the ground floor as best for closeness to the beach, away from the pool and access at night for the turtles). We saw turtles aplenty on both trips right up close and very personal. Dont be put off by the concerns about beach vendors who react politely to a firm 'No thank you'. Do grab a trip early in your stay with one of the local guides. We went twice with Woody and he was great. I would recommend a round islad day. Again no frills but he picked us fresh mangoes from a hidden orchard in the forest and we ate them in the sea. He will sell his wares on the beach or you could contact him on his web site in advance. Dont be afraid as he is honest and great value for money. I have heard the same of others such as Frankie. I think they are actually cousins.
We hired a car for a couple of days and I would recommend that.
As for Sunday School my view is go along. Dont expect Mardis Gras or Notting Hill. Its fun but not world class. We went once by taxi and once drove ourselves. Whatever, dont get suckered into paying a penny for a guide. It feels as safe as houses and I have never heard of trouble. Just be sensible.
With regard to diving we dove with both SAS and Tobago Dive Experience and both were great fun. Not the slickest Ive ever experienced but safe and conscientious. My advice would be go for the one at the hotel and get a deal on a package. It cuts out a lot of the hassle and SAS are a great bunch. Will elaborate if asked. Reef is pretty lively, vis variable, Maverick worth a trip, Speyside a must and the Sisters worth considering. Didnt see any large Pelagics but didnt go believing the hype. Others were luckier but I see that as a bonus. Nurse and reef sharks, sea horses, morays of all colours, turtles, tarpon, rays etc etc .
I could go on for pages as I love the place and the people as a whole package. No one bit is a world beater but the combination is a one off. Some clearly hate it and from some of the comparisons you can see why. Nobody delivers Tobago to you, you have to go out and get it. Go with Woody for the day and you will be enthused. If you are looking for fault you will find it, if you are prepared to accept a limited but not significant absence of sophistication I have no doubt that you will have a ball.
Drop me an e-mail if you wsant any more info that you feel we may have that is of interest.
Dave
Dave Martin

Post by Dave Martin »

:shock:
Hi. For anyone who takes notice of the experience of others in making their decisions I would counsel caution with regard choice of dive operators in Tobago. In my last message I shared my experience of certain operators which was largely positive. Certainly I would advise future visitors to consider the more broad based conclusions contained in the ratings on the My Tobago divers site. It sounds like I was lucky.
Dave.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

I came back a month ago (my second visit to the Rex last year), wish I was still there.

Great as a base, breakfast buffet good way to start the day, pool great.

Beach not fantastic, vendors slightly annoying but not aggressive and all it needs is a polite "no thanks" early on to be left alone.

I'll go back one day, would have no hesitation using the Rex if I was going to a hotel (more likely to go to apartments next time).

You'll be fine as long as you are not planning to stay in the room other than to change/shower/sleep and IMO don't eat there other than for breakfast.
Mhairi Mercer

Post by Mhairi Mercer »

Hi
Just returned 11/1/05 from two weeks at the RTB. We had a super time the hotel is not the best that I have ever stayed in but they are working very hard to up-grade and tidy up the existing facilities. We were a large group, 6 adults, 3 teenagers and two little people but we all enjoyed our time and would love to go back one day. The boys dived from the Blue Waters Hotel at Speyside and were very impressed perhaps you may like to try it. Hope you enjoy Tobago as much as we did.
Mhairi Mercer
Sabina

Post by Sabina »

My friend and I just returned from two weeks at the RTB on Tuesday 11th Jan and we both had a wonderful, wonderful time there. The hotel is certainly not the Hilton but it does have everthing you need. The accomodation is basic but adequate. Anyway, how much time do you spend in your room when outside you have blazing sunshine, beautiful beaches, lush tropical rainforest and amazing people?! Our room was cleaned and we had fresh towels every day, the beds were really comfy and the shower worked -that's all I needed.
After reading some of the more negative reviews and listening to some comments whilst there, it seems to me that some people are missing the point altogether. If all you want from a holiday is hot weather and some souless, safe-bet hotel of US standard then you might well be missing out on the real Caribbean. Incidentally, we visited the Hilton one evening and yes, it's a beautiful hotel, but I wouldn't have swapped it for the world.
The food at the RTB is absolutely fine, again not the best, but absolutely fine and plentiful. They have a good, newly built pool and evening entertainment if you fancy it.
But for us, what really made the place was the people. What ever you do, don't pass up on the opportunity of speaking to some of the people who work on the beach. They all so chilled out they'd happily sit and chat all afternoon with you and not make any sales! We didn't find them bothersome at all although the ones that did approach us responded well to a 'no thanks'. In fact it was these people who for us really added the colour to our experience at the resort.
So please don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. It's like anything, if you go looking for problems, you'll find them. Just concentrate on relaxing into the Caribbean rhythm and you'll never want to leave! I really hope you enjoy your holiday as much as I did.
Kind Regards, Sabina xx
Kylie

Post by Kylie »

Go with an open mind, it is fine:

http://mytobago.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1843
Pat Cavanagh

Turtle Beach late Jan - early Feb

Post by Pat Cavanagh »

I have just returned from a very pleasant 2 weeks at TB (Virgin Holidays, AI option). Our room was fine - fridge, twin beds and kettle on request. The buffet food was also pretty good with plenty of choice and local dishes. Service was also good once you realised you had to mellow out and wait for a waitress to come to you in her own good (normally not too long) time. One disappointment was that the sea was rough, exacerbated by the very steeply sloping beach and undertow. In fact there was an accident in the sea while we were there (details unclear). I was told that the Atlantic side is calmer at this time of year, which I did not at first believe, but this did appear to be the case, so as one of our party was not a confident swimmer we took to driving to Granby Point to swim. I was interested to read the comment about the moon - I didn't notice what it was doing. Highlight was an osprey fishing in the bay. Overall I would say good value for money and I would definitely go back to that hotel.
Peter Hedges.

Rex Turtle Beach

Post by Peter Hedges. »

Anna

Having just returned from RTB 22nd. Feb to snow at Gatwick we wanted to turn around and go straight back again.
We had a wonderful week (not long enough) the hotel was comfortable and welcoming, the staff very friendly and no problems with the food which was plentiful. There was always too much choice with a variety of meat and vegetables along with local dishes such as breadfruit, crab pie and creole dishes.
We managed 2 trips to the rain forest and waterfralls along with a relaxing day on board 'Island Girl' a 40ft. catermaran based at Mt Irvine Bay.
One of the trips was with local man Simon McLetchie who took just the two of us on a great trip into the rain forest, it soon became clear that he knew all there was to know about the plants and wildlife of this wonderful island. On our return home we found his web site http://www.tobago-adventure.com and would thoroughly recommend him.
The beach vendors at the hotel are no problem at all, in fact they only add colour to the whole experience. We made friends with many of them, notably 'Reuben' (the wood carver), and there was nothing they liked more than passing the time of day, even if you didn't want to buy anything.
I'm sure that you will have a great time and you should be at the right time to see the turtles.

Steve,
Simon McLetchie mentioned that the goverment were in the process of negotiating a price to buy back Pidgeon Point from the existing owner, and so return it to the people of Tobago. Did you hear any inside info on your visit ?
Phil P

Rex Turtle Beach

Post by Phil P »

We returned from RTB two weeks ago having had a superb holiday. The hotel was relaxing, comfortable and friendly and as a couple of fairly independent low 40-somethings, it suited us perfectly.

The rooms were clean and the proximity to the beach exceptional. I would say however that it is looking a little tired in places (eg bit of rust around the bath). But this is minor and certainly not worth making a fuss about. The rooms were cleaned daily, the aircon worked and the shower was excellent - hot and wet.

For our first week we stayed around the hotel, just escaping for Carnival and the rainforest and I must admit I was starting to climb the walls (something to do with a distaste of communal dining and half term holidays). We were only staying B&B but found ourselves in the restaurant most evenings. The food was more than competant but choice was limited unless we wanted the £18 buffet option (not worth it if your appetite slips in warm weather). The breakfast options were excellent with plenty of fresh fruit, croissants, bread, cereals and artery clogging full English fry ups if that's the bag you're into.

In the second we had a car and were able to get out and about. Here the hotel scored high for its location. Castara (wonderful) just 45 mins up the road, a petrol station in Plymouth (10 mins - go in the morning, no queues), Scarborough (hustle & bustle) and Crown Point (OK for restaurants, but a bit of a dump) only 20 minutes away. It was a perfect base to explore the island from and was a good shelter to return to.

There is entertainment most nights. This included a steel band, steel solo, a singer, limbo dancing and........... karaoke. I know some like it, but it was awful and time for a wander along the beach. I found also that the audience response to the steel band was so patronising I felt guilty being there. Too, too colonial.

Don't buy bottled rum from the hotel shop, wander up to Black Rock (20 min walk) and get it from the "Superette" - it is about half the price and put your money into the local community.

If you get the chance take part in the weekly staff vs guests cricket match. Great fun!

One down side on the beach was the constant steam of reps trying to get you sign up for tours. Pain in the neck but the good ones will get the message and just stop for a chat after a couple of rebuttals. Go and have a chat with Lorna (one of the jewellery/sarong sellers - found on the beach just before the 3 storey section). She is a really helpful lady and a good source of local information and advice.

Before I disappear into a full travelogue (I'm boring people at home) let me just say that the hotel was more than adequate and we would have no problem returning. Don't do AI, enjoy the island and spend your money in the local community, they need it more than the hotel chains.

There is so much more to Tobago, just get out and see it.

Oh, and look out for the amazing James Curtis and his 4x4, reggae thumping, ice cream truck. He tours the Caribbean beaches each day so you are bound to see him - the coconut & cherry ice cream is to die for.

Phil

Return to “Starfish Tobago”