Turtle Beach Standard Room size ok for family of 4?

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Hi All,

I'm looking at going to the RTB next May. We were looking to book a standard room, for 2 adults and 2 small children as I believe (from the brochures I've looked at) this wouls be ok for beds and space. I've just spoken to one tour operator, who advises aginst this, and would only supply us a family room, which is 2 bedroom but of course much more money.

I would be very grateful for any advice on anyone who has stayed there, and to get your thoughts on whether a standard/superior room would be ok for 2 adults and 2 small children (8 and 6)?

Thanks in advance
Anne Sykes

Post by Anne Sykes »

Hi Gary

The two of us stayed at the RTB in May this year and we had a Standard Room. Some of these rooms have one huge bed like we did and others have two double beds, so make sure you get the right one!!! (Mmmm?! the four of you in one bed...cosy!!!...)

I would have thought that a Standard Room will you give you adequate space. The rooms are a good size and there is a seperate 'dressing area' by the bathroom with loads of hanging space, shelves and drawers and also space to shove your luggage - however, you may want to bring extra coat-hangers. The bathroom also has quite a large shelf for the storage of toiletries as well as a long dresser with small drawers in the bedroom. As your kids are so young, I wouldn't have thought a Standard Room would pose a problem size wise - unless you are planning some romance for the two of you and would like some privacy?!?!? :wink:

We had taken loads of stuff with us - mainly fishing rods (about 10 of them) that actually took up half of my husbands baggage allowance, but we were able to tuck them away in the room and weren't tripping over them. Plus, if you get a ground floor room you will have a huge patio that can house lilos and pool toys etc

Save your money, and stand your ground. No need to pay for a bigger room when I personally think that you won't need it. At the end of the day, you only sleep in your room so you won't need a load of space for that!!

Happy holidays!!!

Anne
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Thanks Anne,

We've booked it now, so roll on next May :D

You said that your husband fished, can he recommend a fishing trip for 2 amateurs?

Thanks
Anne Sykes

Post by Anne Sykes »

Hello Gary

Fishing trips can turn out quite expensive. Frankie's Tours will charge about $250US for half a day but he will have all the gear on board a proper boat and he will look after you. Tuna-Man 'Stumpy' can often be found moored up on the beach and he'll charge around $50US per hour - his boat is a lot more basic though... They all carry life vests.

Why not try the pier at the end of the beach? Early mornings around daybreak and late afternoons around 5-6pm are the best times. There are loads of fish both big and small off there - huge tarpon (good luck if you get one of them on - my husband never did, much to his dismay and they roll and top all around you teasing!!!) but there are also jacks and many other type of fish that you will definitely catch. Chris had a barracuda on one day - but then he had to be helped into a dinghy by one of the locals so that he could retrieve his gear which ended up wrapped around the pier - they fight!! He lost it to say no more. But we did all laugh!!!

The locals fish off the pier along with their kids so your two will probably have a great time on there!! Take plugs and spinners with you. The beach is not good for fishing - Chris never caught a thing off there. Whether you smoke or not I would take some ciggies with you when you go to the pier. The locals are always asking for them but then again they will see you right and probably provide you with small live bait fish for your trouble.

Something else. Early mornings, the local fishermen are on the beach bringing in their nets from the nights cast and guests go down to help them pull their nets in. They get loads of fish and it's quite a sight what with the frigate birds and pelicans zooming in to take their fill.

Keep thinking of things. The Turtles. Your kids will be amazed by the size of them - as will you. May is a great time to go - you are guaranteed to see loads of them come to the beach to lay their eggs. They'll come up at night and can be up to about 8-9 feet long.

And the pool will be great for all of you. Only 3 foot deep all around with a swim up bar and a Jacuzzi in the middle.

Think that's about it for now! I'm telling you all this as I'm assuming that you've not been before.

You will love it!!!
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Hi,
We stayed at RTB in June 2004 and had a standard room with two very comfortable double beds,there were 2 adults and 2 children and it worked out very well indeed,enjoy!
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Thanks Andy, that puts my mind at rest, can't wait now, although we've got to wait until next May......

Thanks for the info Anne, where abouts is the pier, near RTB?

Yes this will be our first visit, would you know if you need any jabs before going out, I hope not I'm a right wimp when it comes to needles :cry:

Also whats the best currency to use US$ or TT$?

Can you see a good sunset from RTB?

Thanks.
Tracey Harrison

Post by Tracey Harrison »

Hello Gary,

We found we got a much better return by taking travellers cheques in sterling.
Anne Sykes

Post by Anne Sykes »

Hi there Gary

The pier is just a short 5 minute walk up the beach, as you face the sea it's on your right. Depending on the rain and the tide, you may have to paddle through a river outlet (not dangerous) and then climb over some rocks to get there (again not dangerous). Another thought. If you turn left and go up the other end of the beach, there are rock pools - loads of little fish in those!!

As with all tropical places, jabs are recommended. To be honest we had them before we took our first trip, but neglected them this time round.

I'd agree that Sterling travellers cheques are a good idea and we took TT$ with us too. Shops etc all take both US$ and TT$. I would stick to one currency, it gets complicated otherwise - as you can imagine...

GOOD SUNSETS????

Well, all the rooms face the sea and that is where the sun sets!!!! It seems to get dark very quickly around 6.30pm - 7.00pm but image fishing off that pier as the sun goes down! Take your camera with you not just for piccies of the fish you'll catch but also the sunsets. We saw some super ones that made the sea go all golden and iredescent. Lovely!!! Or sitting by the bar over looking the sea with a Carib or a glass of wine or a rum in your hand watching that sunset...
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Thanks Anne,

Tobago just sounds better and Better :D

I hope you don't mind but I have a couple more questions...

How did you find the mozzy's out there? Can you recommend any sprays/creams?

How did you find the food at the RTB?

Did you find plenty of sunbeds with shade on the beach or round the pool or were these being snapped up early?

Were planning on hiring a boar for half a day, and going out deep sea fishing, can you recommend anyone?

Did you catch many fish off the pier? Any tips?

Thanks.
Sandra Daniel
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Sandra Daniel »

Hi Gary
Glad to see that you chose RTB. We stayed there in May and personally found no probs with mossies although we stayed in Grenada the year before in May and they were terrible.

Sunbeds were snapped up pretty early ( usually by Anne and myself - only joking Anne !!! ) I don't mean 6am but it was quite busy by 10ish. There were plenty of beds to choose from, sunshades were a little less plentiful but pool bar made nice, cool, shady area to relax in.

I personally enjoyed the food. We only had lunch a couple of times as we were still full from breakfast. The children used to order a takeaway menu for lunch and ate with us round the pool. Sundays were my favourite evenings as we tucked in to the biggest yorkshire puddings I have ever seen.!

This post makes me sound like a typical English woman eating English food and saving sunbeds at the crack of dawn ! There were plenty of sunbeds ( brand new ) we didn,t always get our same pitch every day but there were plenty of other positions to sit in around the pool. The food was lovely and my three boys always ate well.

We are going back in May next year so we might say Hi as long as you don,t " steal" our best sunbeds !!!!

All the best

Sandra
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Thanks Sandra,

Were going to be out there from 18th May for 2 weeks, what about yourself?

What was Grenada like, and how did that compare to Tobago?

Did you go on any excursions that you can recommend?

Cheers,

Gary
Sandra Daniel
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Sandra Daniel »

Hi Gary

We go out on 11th May for three weeks, can't wait. Grenada was very pretty but there is just something special about Tobago.

We went fishing with Stumpy the Tuna Man and spent the rest of the time chilling. We really must do more trips next time, you can't lounge by the pool and beach for three weeks ..... can you....???

Sandra
Anne Sykes

Post by Anne Sykes »

Hello there Gary

I think Sandra has summed it up beautifully!!! Sandra - hope you are well?!?

I don't normally get bothered by mozzies but the little critters got me a few times this year. It's the time just after sundown, just before going back to your room when they tend to get you. Try Autan Active Insect Repellent. It's in a yellow spray with a red lid and logo. It doesn't smell too bad and certainly nothing like the horrid lemonee airfreshener fly killer sprays that you can get!! Made me sneeze after spraying though!!!

As for fishing trips, I don't think you will go far wrong with either of those on my last posting. Frankie's is probably the best as he has a powerful deep sea boat and he'll take you out trolling for stuff like marlin, barracuda, shark, tuna etc - big stuff. Michael (Frankie) is a keen fisherman himself, so he has loads of rods and lures on board as well as life vests. As he's so keen he'll want to catch fish too so he will take you to some good spots. Having said that, he will spend time with you and give you tips and advice. For a trip he'll probably have refreshments too. Good for kids if they have good sea legs!!!

Tunaman's boat is more basic. But, I'm not sure that he actually has a compass on board...? but he does have life vests(!). Chris had gone out with him one rainy morning a couple of years ago and they got caught in a storm out at sea. WHERE IS LAND????!!! I was watching from the hotel. If it's good weather then Tunaman will probably be okay. He's also keen on fishing himself so he knows good places to go, just not so sure about his boat. Chris went with both of them again this year and I think Sandra also went out with him and her kids and they were fine. All caught fish and we brought ours back to the hotel for the chef to cook for dinner that night. Jack Creval I think it was called, we also had Striped Tuna for dinner on the beach from a plam leaf - joy!!!

Frankie's also does trips. Buccoo Reef Tour is a good one. Glass bottom boat to the reef and Coral Garden, snorkelling, Nylon Pool followed by a rum punch party on No Man's Land with limbo dancing, BBQ and drinks - costs about $50US for all day. Nice day out!!! And the rain forest of course. Well worth going. The first time we went - it rained. Heavily!!! The second time was soooo hot and humid. Both times came back wet through!!!

Another guy to recommend is Woody's tours. They all do pretty much the same thing and they are regularly around the hotel pool so you won't miss them. Especially New Arrival Day!!! I woudn't bother booking through your rep, they are often more expensive and it's nice to keep the local trade going instead of the corporate big boys.

As for the pier, even if you just have just a bamboo rod and a net, you will catch loads of fish. Chris had Snook, Trevalli, Jacks, Small Snapper not to mention that Barracuda!!

Ahh this is making me think about our wonderful time there all over again. In fact I feel as if I am there now!!!
Anne Sykes

Post by Anne Sykes »

Gary - hello again, only me with some more info for you...

... you might want to hire a car. Get around the island and explore. You'll probably only need it for one day, but you can get to places like Castara and Englishman's Bay - both are wonderfully unspoilt beaches - you could also take your fishing rods!! Get an automatic - oooh those hills and potholes!!!

We hired ours from guess where? Frankie's!!! Cost approx £35-40per day. Nothing!!! Delivered and picked up.

You will be able to drive around the whole island in one day and stop off at those lush beaches (and we took in the Rain Forest too!!!) All in one day. The people are so friendly, don't be alarmed if they jump out waving at you while you're driving, they are only saying hello. Wave back and bip your horn, they'll love it!!! Respect!!!

Sunday School. Up to you, but probably just for you adults. Your kids would love it but it will be a rather loud and late night - boozy if you wish!!!

If I come up with more, I'll be back, if you want to know more, just come back yourself!!!
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Anne/Sandra,

Thanks you both so much for your all your posts, much appreciated. roll on next May :D

Gary
Lou W

Post by Lou W »

Hi Gary,

Quick tip, with regards to money you get a better exchange rate going to a cash machine over there. The hotel offers about 8.5 tt to the pound where as the cash machine are around 11 tt to the pound but there is a £1.25 charge for using them.

As for the sunset's, i think they are ace. I have so many pictures of them, one even came out good enough to be made into a poster.

Oh and try avon's skin so soft for the mozzies, my mum used it and didn't get bit. I also got told that mozzies love chocolate so not to eat it and they dont like tonic water, alcohol or nicotine. But they still bit me. I must just be tasty!!

Lou W
(93 days to go)
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Thanks Lou, thats sounds like a good idea, I think I'll use the ATM machines then. Are they many on the Island? Where's the nearest machine to RTB?

Gary
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gary

Information on ATM machines is available in the Miscellaneous/Money Matters/ABM Cash Machines section. The nearest to the RTB is at Pleasant Prospect. Not really within walking distance, unless you're pretty fit.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lou W

Post by Lou W »

Steve is right, you need to be quite fit to walk there but me and a friend did walk all the way. It took us 45 mins there and back, up hill going. There is a shop next door so can get refreshments for the way back, (the green giant ice pops are delicious). If you do decide to walk there do not do what i did. My friends jus wanted a shop for some cigs and we passed a fair few that we could have gone in but i had to use a cash machine. Got there and jus keyed in 100.00, got the money and walked back to the rex. Only later that evening did i realised i walked an hour and half to draw a tenner out of the bank!!! Remember they are in local currency!!!!
Still got some excercise and is an experiance.

Lou W

Return to “Starfish Tobago”