Guest Report

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
JackieP

Guest Report

Post by JackieP »

We visited the rex as a family of 6 from the 7th to 21st August. Was kind of worried by some of the negative views around, but decided to keep an open mind, I was not disappointed. No it's not 5 star but neither did I expect it to be. Yes the rooms, well most of them do need to be upgraded, but they were cleaned everyday,the beds were fine, the air conditioning worked,which were the main things. The rooms though are right on the beach,perfect.

The pool area and the beach are wonderful, and the beach is nearly always empty. Great to see the fisherman with their catch. The kids loved watching this. Also great to see two of the local guys, some of you may call them vendors, protecting the turtles caught in the net by the fisherman. Both Daryl & smithy chasing a guy trying to steal a turtle caught in the net.

We found everyone to be really friendly, all the other guests ,with whom we made friends, & am still in contact with a couple & many of the hotel staff.

We were fortunate enough to see a large leatherback turtle laying her eggs, thanks to Dexter waking us at 3.30am one morning, by banging on our patio doors. We also saw around 150 hatchlings. Amazing.
Many thank to the SOS turtles guys for this, especially Daryl, Grant & Akel.
Did several of the trips around the island. Use Peter Cox or Kelton for the bird watching/Rainforest tour, they are both brilliant. For the fun tours with the kids on the boats to nylon pool/ Buccoo Reef we used Daryl from Top Notch tours, who we got to know well on the holiday. Hes great fun, will take great care of you & the kids love him.A seriously nice & genuine guy. Look out for him on the beach. Woody is also a friendly guy & his tours are good too.
Would definately return, loved everything about Tobago. Next time will try to see the rest of the island & try some of the local restaurants.
Must search for that really long lead for my husband to tie me to, just got on with too many people.
Neil & Lesley

Re: rex turtle beach

Post by Neil & Lesley »

Hi,

We were there at the same time as you, 10th Aug - 25th Aug, did we meet? Totally agree with your comments on the hotel. Our room was clean and functional, although a bit dated. Problems with the A/C unit and missing towels were dealt with almost immediately and the staff were most welcoming.

For the coastal tour & island tour, we used Tour Tobago, located in the hotel reception area. For my fishing trips, Smithy was the man, although the fish were few and far between :roll:

There's not much I can add to what's already been said about the RTB exceptfor this little tip: When sitting around in the airport restaurants etc, fill your pockets with as many salt sachets as you can. Due to the humidity and the fact that the kissadee restaurant is open to the elements, the salt thingys don't work that well.

Dexter, what a guy!!

Regards
JackieP

Re: rex turtle beach

Post by JackieP »

hi neil & lesley. Yes, I do know you. My 2 eldest sons Ben & Alex went fishing with you on the boat with Smitty, now that was a funny story re the 1st trip. You were friends with the other Neil & Debbie. I was friends with Heather, Maureen & phil & sue & tony as well.jackie. :

Return to “Starfish Tobago”