Hotel Tropikist

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Melissa Mcneilly

Hotel Tropikist

Post by Melissa Mcneilly »

My boyfriend and I have just booked our holiday to Tobago landing there on September 1st. We have scoured many websites for information on both the island and the hotel we chose to stay at – Hotel Tropikist. I’m not sure when you wrote your review about the hotel but I am now slightly concerned as the comments you put were not complimentary.

As with all our holidays, we firstly checked the trip advisor and holiday watchdog websites and whilst we are under no illusion that it is not a 5 * hotel, there were some glowing reviews noted from people who stayed there as recently as March.

I am simply interested in finding out when your website made these comments as if it was a while ago, then they may have changed hands in between then?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Melissa

Welcome aboard! :lol:

We have not reviewed the Tropikist - and are unlikely to do so as we feel that the standards fall short of those required for inclusion in our "Reviewed & Recommended" lists.

I suspect you are referring to the summary information on the Overview page of our listing for the hotel. Those editorial comments are reviewed on a continuous basis, as and when new information comes to light. I last reviewed all these editorial summaries just last month.

Check our our Reader Reports for the Tropikist - you can see them either here in the forum, or in the "Reports" tab of the hotel listing. Judge the hotel by the comments of others who have stayed there.

It would appear that substantial improvements have been made at the Tropikist since we first condemned them five years ago. However, I confess that I still have severe concerns about the attitude of the Trinidadian owners/management. However, that is not to say that you wouldn't have a brilliant holiday based at the hotel. Just don't expect too much. Virtually all complaints - and our concerns about the hotel - have resulted from management/staff attitude after guests complained about anything and/or from the catering at the hotel. Eat out and don't complain and you will probably find the hotel ideal.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Melissa Mcneilly

Re: Hotel Tropikist

Thanks for your help Steve,#

I have previously stayed in hotels around the world not written about favourably but luckily they have all (barring one) been very pleasant.
I have no doubt we will have a fantastic time in Tobago and fingers crossed we will only come across the happier members of staff at The Hotel Tropikist!

I'll drop a note back to you when we return

Melissa
Nick Bristow

Post by Nick Bristow »

Hi Melissa,
I agree with Steve re eating out. I stayed at the Tropikist a couple of years ago. The room was fine,the hotel pool was good, and the staff were in the main friendly but the downside is the food it wasn't good. The upside to this is that in that area there are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants so eating out isn't a problem.
Melissa Mcneilly

Re: Hotel Tropikist

Thank you all for your help. We will take everything on board!

If you have any other suggestions for us on our week in Tobago please do drop me a line

Thanks Again
Melissa
Nick Bristow

Post by Nick Bristow »

Melissa,
Do what I did before my first visit, spend some time browsing this site. It gave me loads of ideas and the contributors are usually spot on in their views.

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”