Guest Report

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Kate Collier

Guest Report

Post by Kate Collier »

Before booking this hotel I was a little worried, as I had read the negative comments on this website and others. However, I decided to take the chance as it appeared that in recent years it had improved, and I was offered a bargain deal.

I travelled with my boyfriend, and we booked room only. This was as we wanted the hotel as a base to see the island and did not really want to be eating in the hotel a lot, especially considering all the bad reviews seemed to focus on the food. Consequently, this review only rates this hotel on a room only basis, as we did not eat there once during our stay, although this does not reflect our impression of the food, just the fact we were out a lot and had so much to choose from in Crown Point.

Overall, the Tropikist was perfect for us. We were upgraded on arrival, and our room was huge, with a beautiful sea view and spacious balcony. It was cleaned daily, with fresh towels, and the cleaning staff were always friendly and courteous, a comment that applies to all the staff we encountered at the Tropikist.

The main pool was amazing, very pretty with the waterfall and tropical plants, and the second more traditional square pool was good for if you wanted a proper swim. The Jacuzzi was also very picturesque, looking out to the sea and surrounded by foliage. I personally observed the pools being cleaned every day, and they were always pristine, apart from the occasional leaf or flower that inevitably dropped in from the surrounding plants. The beach, although not suitable for swimming, was pretty enough, and due to the rocks excellent for spotting crabs!!!

Another major advantage of the Tropikist is the location. We could not hire a car as we were too young, but did not find this a problem due to the central position of the hotel. I have previously stayed at the Toucan Inn, and found this hotel far more convenient for amenities. We regularly walked to Pigeon Point, and I think this was probably the furthest touristy attraction the area. Store bay was a mere meander away, as well as many restaurants. We managed to get a taxi too and from Sunday school for both of us for 100TT, less than £10, and found it easy to access Scarborough, and the Fort James hospital as was necessary!! We also went on a fabulous jeep safari from the hotel, which I booked before going, which I will fully review in the forum.

There have been comments previously about security, and although there was not a safe in the room, we paid for one at reception for the duration of our stay, which was probably safer anyway.

Overall the Tropikist was an excellent base for us, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would recommend it to any one in our position. Please ignore the old negative comments!!!!

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”