Guest Report

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Ryan Ali

Guest Report

Post by Ryan Ali »

My wife and I decided to get away to Tobago for a quick weekend of rest and relaxation. We never stayed at Tropikist before but the website seemed comprehensive and attractive enough. We arrived on a Saturday so I guess that hotel operations were in full swing. Check-in was quick and the front staff friendly. We went to our rooms (the deluxe suites) and apart from the furniture being a bit old, frayed linen and tarnished fittings, everything was as expected and comfortable enough. We quickly changed into our beach wear and journeyed to the pool. It was clean and the view of the coastline magnificent. It was a really enjoyable day and I couldn't wait to sink my mouth into some all-inclusive goodness since we arrived after lunch and were starving by now. A quick shower and a couple of hours later we were seated in the restaurant awaiting our scrumptious meals. What happened next simply amazing.

The waitress in the restaurant should be given the Tobago hoteliers award for absolutely worst customer service representative on the entire island. She went above and beyond the call of duty to completely ruin what promised to be a wonderful experience. To compound matters, the manager stood idly by and simply couldn't be bothered by the fact that we had waited almost half hour to be served. When the food finally arrived apparently the concept of tasty island food or at least seasoning escaped the chef. Hospital food beats this hands down. There were three servers attempting to cater to an entire hotel filled on a Saturday night. We had to literally beg to have some soft drinks which never came and we eventually decided that it would be much better if we left and ventured elsewhere for 'food'.

The next morning my wife and friends decided that they would check out the breakfast servings. I knew better! This is the first hotel I have ever been to that has a communal container of butter for everyone to share. Imagine the nerve of someone to actually put this thing out there and expect people to accept this. The only thing funny about this entire episode was the completely priceless expressions of the other hotel guest when they saw the breakfast menu.

If you have to stay at Tropikist, make provisions to eat outside. The facility has a lot of potential and the management should desist from hoodwinking guests into believing that this is an all-inclusive destination. This is completely far from what the accepted standard is for an all-inclusive package and someone from the hoteliers association should step-in soon to rectify this false claim soon or else risk further damage to your tourism product. They've got an extremely great potential here like so many other locations on the island. I think that the management should visit antigua, barbados etc. to understand more about the tourism product or else they would continue to wonder why there continues to be a constant decline in visitor arrivals and more importantly repeat customers. Get serious or your entire industry will perish sooner rather than later.

Hats off to Colours Restaunrant (best tasting food on the island, absolutely wicked pepper sauce), Chef's (most reliable and consistent) and Steak and Lobster Grill (sublime dinner- make sure joyce serves you). You guys redeemed local cuisine and happily filled our bellies. YUM!

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”