Guest Report

55-room luxury boutique hotel in Bacolet (listing)
Julian Scott

Guest Report

Post by Julian Scott »

The hotel is in a lovely position with excellent views, a fantastic beach and easily reached from the airport.

Good points: The room ( a junior suite), very clean, good size and smartly decorated and furnished, comfortable beds, effective air con and/or ceiling fan for those who want it, nicely arranged, wonderful views.

The staff: very pleasant helpful and well presented. The restaurant manager particularly so.

Slight detractors: some paintwork flaking off the balcony handrails - can end up on the bedroom floor as it sticks to your hands. Evidence of rust coming through some of the stair railings and other metalwork. Some paint/rendering flaking off the main building walls. Whilst these are small issues it does make the external appearance of the building appear a little faded - but I'm sure this could be easily rectified.

Some culinary irritations: The beach bar service had a "moment" when a Saga tour group (of around 16) all arrived at the same time. Lunch orders for the group another family and us were delivered sequentially over a 90 minute period - which is a little too long to wait for a snack lunch - my wife's lunch arrived 40 minutes before mine - which had transformed from a simple light fish and fries into a substantial fish, potatoes and vegetables.

Coffee: This was instant for both breakfast and dinner which I'm not sure is acceptable in a hotel of this standing (particularly as Trinidad is a coffee producer) I did request real coffee and the restaurant manager sourced some beans but this was foxed when no one was able to use the only coffee machine in the bar area.

Wine: The hotel has a reasonable wine list and on our first night we enjoyed a Montes Chardonnay - excellent just as it should be. On the second night I requested an Argentinian Malbec - unfortunately this and 3 alternative choices were not available. I eventually settled for a wine that at tasting was "off". The restaurant manager immediately replaced it with another suggestion a Chilean merlot - unfortunately I wasn't able to catch the vintage (2005) until it was opened - otherwise I'd have gone for something more recent - tropical heat and wine age don't mix.

The wine wasn't sour as such but had lost all it's fruit and was verging on the undrinkable. Had I complained I'm sure this issue would have been addressed so this isn't a complaint about service but just an unfortunate issue with wine non availability and quality.

In conclusion great hotel, pleasant helpful staff just a few niggles taking the edge off what was a lovely stay which is reflected in my 5 rating.

Return to “Blue Haven Hotel”