Guest Report

55-room luxury boutique hotel in Bacolet (listing)
Jon Taylor

Guest Report

Post by Jon Taylor »

A very disappointing hotel

This hotel seems to get some good reviews, but during our ten day stay there was little to explain why.

Some members of the staff were friendly and helpful. However others just weren’t, some to the point of rudeness.

The food is expensive but poor, and the service was often slapdash.

The mini bars were never serviced, and the room not always cleaned to a good standard. Even getting sachets of coffee in our rooms was clearly beyond them. After a few days of asking we bought our own in a supermarket.

There is little of a Caribbean welcome here. We were made to feel unwelcome in the bar after 10 PM, when the staff wanted to close and go home. It seems to be aimed at package tours of older people. We were often the last people in the restaurant at 8.00pm.

The 2005 Rough Guide claims they have a gym – but rather typically it is actually a building site and was described as “a work in progress”.

A real shame as the location is good, but is simply not worth going to. You only get a couple of holidays a year it would be a real shame to waste it feeling unwelcome and badly fed. There are far better places to stay. And for less money.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Wow! What a dissapointment, Jon. And what a shame that the charm of this lovely hotel totally bypassed you. I'm guessing, but I imagine that this was your first visit to Tobago. I also guess you were hoping/expecting somewhere far livelier than the Blue Haven - correction, far livelier than Tobago.

As you say, most people only get a couple of holidays a year and so it is always such a shame when it falls short of expectation.

We had five days at the Blue Haven last month. Our experience couldn't have been more different from you own - in fact almost exactly the opposite. I would admit that I can appreciate your comment about the bar closing at 10pm. That is typical for Tobago I'm afraid. I suspect your problem was the choice of destination more than the choice of hotel. Sorry - it still makes it a naff holiday and that's a crying shame, but it does stress the importance of using site's like myTobago to research your destination/holiday BEFORE making reservations.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Blue Haven Hotel”