Arnos Vale

29 room 3* hotel located on the Arnos Vale plantation
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Rod,

I was there two weeks ago, and as the sea was a little rough, the staff let me and my son swim in the pool (we were visitors, not residents). No-one else was using it anyway, and the water seemed pretty clean to me, though there were some small bits of leaves blown in, which you have to expect. I think that some of the other reports may be a little exagerated, apart from those about security, which is currently very tight unless you are a resident or have made a lunch booking.

Have a great holiday, and don't get too distressed (or your wife), as it will probably be fine. If not, complain loudly whilst there, and here on your return if they don't do anything about it!

Steve F. 8)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I am wondering again (as I do) about this.

As I said before, there must be a logical explanation.

For instance, could there have been any recent security breaches that have led to the resort taking these measures?

We have to respect the Arnos Vale Resort's measures if there is a reasonable explanation behind this ... perhaps such an explanation or clarification of the position will be forthcoming in due course?

However, if it is possible to enter the resort by prior arrangement then that's fine ... I see nothing unreasonable about that.

Cheers
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Hi Paul,

I think that it is quite simple, and just related to the number of residents and capacity of the beach. As you know, it is a fairly small beach, and at high tide, the waves almost reach the beach bar, and the beach is constantly changing shape. I guess that there is not space for more than 20 or so on the remaining space when this happens. If I was paying for a room, I guess that I would be dissapointed to find the beach crowded, so I expect that by keeping better security, the exclusivity for the residents is better preserved. I would also guess that Arnos Vale is becoming more frequented by visitors as result of our own posts about about the good snorkelling etc. :oops:

It is ironic that the locals don't even bother with the main gate, and use the track to the left, hence they have access to the beach whenever they like, even for a game of football.

The unfortunate side effect is that casual visitor who might otherwise wish to book a room for a following year, are almost certainly put off returning by the rather rude welcome that they get, and I do get the impression that numbers are beginning to fall at Arnos Vale these days - perhaps this is one of the reasons?

Steve F. 8)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Steve

When I have been there, it has always been January or February which is the high season.

On these occasions I can typically recall maybe one other couple using the restuarant by the beach for lunch and maybe about 6 to 8 people on the beach ... plus a few couples sitting in their beachfront balconies smiling at us.

The waitresses/barstaff would be chatting away and otherwise there would be total peace and tranquility.

Occasionally, a fishing boat would arrive in the Bay with tourists for snorkelling but none of them came on the beach.

I am trying to recall the size of the beach ... judging by the numbers I have seen on the beach I am wondering (as I do) if there is a capacity problem.

Tell you what mate ... there is definitely something fishy going on here :?

Cheers
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Sally T

Post by Sally T »

Hi Doreen
Please don't get too worried about some of the reports - apart from the (slight) reservations I mentioned in my posting above, we had a very nice stay 1st week of January. We weren't aware (at the time) of any restrictions on the beach, non-residents were coming in to have tea with the birds, (and we think using the beach), people were using the pool - which looked very clean, and the gardens were full of flowers. I tend to agree with Paul and Steve re: the beach - the waves were coming right up to the edge of the buildings at high tide and there wasn't much room.

We were in a standard room and had a fridge which was restocked about every other day - I'm sure they would have done it daily if we'd asked - a kettle, teabags and coffee sachets. Bath towels were changed daily and beach towels were provided in the room.

It sounds as you are going to have much better weather than us - hope you have a great time. Sally.
DoreenV

Post by DoreenV »

Hi Sally,

Thanks very much for your reply. Nice to hear good things and I am pleased to hear you had a good time, I am sure we will too.

Thanks about the info about the room. Did you notice if there was a hairdryer. Also is it better to get supplies of bottled water and soft drinks from the hotel or is there somewhere nearby to get them from.

Thanks again, Doreen
Sally T

Post by Sally T »

Doreen,

There wasn't a hairdryer in the standard room - don't know about the suites. There were always a couple of bottles of beer, water, and soft drinks in the fridge. I think you'll always find that it's cheaper to buy water and soft drinks at a supermarket. We bought our water at Penny Savers when we were down visiting Bon Accord. There are stores fairly close by in Arnos Vale and Plymouth, but we didn't use them so not sure what they stock.

We've been reading everyone's postings about the wonderful weather and just wishing we were back there right now! Sally

Return to “Arnos Vale Hotel”