Guest Report

29 room 3* hotel located on the Arnos Vale plantation
Cassie Shorey

Guest Report

Post by Cassie Shorey »

Having re-read some of the reviews of Arnos Vale hotel, in both the accommodation section and other strands on this site, I feel I must say how much we enjoyed our stay this summer. We stayed in the beachfront suite - it was lovely, big bedroom with gorgeous colonial style furniture, very classy furnishings and linens, very spacious sitting room, balcony to each room, 2 bathrooms. Great! Despite being close to the dive centre , the bar and the pool, it was very peaceful. Any reqests for service, sundries etc were always dealt with in such a friendly way. Sometimes it took a little time, but this was always apologised for. We looked at other rooms (poolside) and suites (hillside)- they all looked fine. Even the standard rooms seem very good value for money and we got a fantastic rate for low season suites.
The hotel was quiet with few guests and therefore staffing was minimal - but everyone (reception, bar, housekeeping, resturant, security guard etc) was very, very friendly and helpful, in a typically laid back, somewhat restrained Tobagan way. Lovely, lovely people.
We ate in the restaurant every night (night journeys for other restaurants are long and not for the faint hearted!!) - enjoyed every meal. Yes, limited choice, but quite ambitious menu and very well prepared and presented. Breakfast great, lunches a bit basic - fish sandwich, burger etc. Great cocktails - yummy!! We also ate at the nearby Arnos Waterwheel - sadly being overwhelmed by the forest and looking rather neglected - but SO atmospheric and other worldly. They cooked especially for us and as usual we were the only diners. Delicious.
As others have said, birdwatching is sublime (even for non-birders) and the snorkling was the best we had on the island. We will return and try scuba next time.
Set in one of the prettiest bays on the island, very quiet. It is a real treat to watch the locals playing football on the sand on sunday afternoons (23 a side!)
The hotel is well located for trips south to Sunday School, Pidgeon point, Scarboro' etc and north to Castara, Parletouvier, Engishman's Bay etc.
A bit of general 'stuff'. We also stayed at Seahorse - OK, rather basic but good value, good location, good (although I feel overrated) food; and Blue Waters - wonderful location, great snorkling, lunches good but for evenings, eat in Speyside (Birdwatchers is GREAT or Gemmas. We stayed in the 1 bed self catering - really lovely.As usual Sheppey looked after us really well with the car rental. Rainy season low rates were excellent value and weather was fine, even with a couple of hurricanes passing close by.
Obviously some people have had negative experiences at this hotel, but we had a truly wonderful stay. Sorry to have waffled on so long, but we had such a great time at Arnos Vale, I wanted to post something positive
Can't wait to return to Tobago
Cassie

Return to “Arnos Vale Hotel”