Guest Report

29 room 3* hotel located on the Arnos Vale plantation
Margaret Moyle

Guest Report

Post by Margaret Moyle »

After staying in Arnos Vale Hotel in March, 2000, we were fairly satisfied with the Italian proprieters and the hotel itself, although other guests we met staying there had told us it was getting run down and not the quality it had been.
Upon returning in November 2007 we were so very dissappointed with what has happened to the once lovely hotel. The lease was up for the Italians and now it is Indian run and in bad, bad, shape. If the prices had been cheaper, I would have understood, but the room prices do NOT reflect the quality of Arnos Vale. It is a dump now. When talking to the locals, they consider it a poor excuse for a resort and know that the beach is infested with chiggar mites, which ate me alive. The rooms were dirty with poor quality remodeling in an attempt to update. Every room needed paint badly and dirt was apparant on the walls, doors, floors. Our friends were staying in another room where the toilet leaked. The towels were theadbare and gray. The pool was so disgustingly dirty one couldn't even see down in the water past a couple inches. No one ever went in the pool. There was a dog hanging around the dining room that was so infected with scabies mites that it's hair was falling out and it scratched constantly around the dining area while we ate. The birds no longer come around there as the cats have taken over the bird viewing area. The flower boxes along the dining area were just dirt, no flowers or plants in them and I saw one of the cats using it as a litter box while I ate my dinner. Disgusting!
The groundskeeper was only one very overwieght,lazy and complaining black man who was also the so called security for the grounds. He told us how he had to smoke a splief before "working". The bartender was seldom around and it was like pulling teeth to get a drink at the bar.
I think the worst of it was when at check out time we had a discepancy with the bill and the Indian weasel proprietor would not come out of his office to address the issue of being overcharged for a prepaid siute many months in advance and were given a standard room when they knew well in advance that the beach suite we had reserved had been out of commission for many months, not being used at all. They would not give us a refund for the difference that we overpaid. A totally unethical business is conspiring here. I will NEVER go back there again, except to visit the bay that still has fantastic snorkeling since the Indian proprietor couldn't screw that up. I noticed many snorkelers and divers parking there and leaving when they were done, not buying anything, but still using the beach showers and parking areas. They are the smart ones. I was not.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Dirty, Unethical, a Sad Shame

Post by Steve Wooler »

Margaret

Your comments about the general conditions at the Arnos Vale Hotel are appreciated and, sadly, reflect everything I have heard about the hotel - and seen for myself - in recent years.

Despite that, I think that many readers will join me in condemning the apparently racist tone of some of your comments. If your words reflect your feelings, then may I respectfully suggest that you mind be happier taking future holidays in your home State of Colorado, USA.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Roel le Pair
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Roel le Pair »

Margaret Moyle wrote: . . . Disgusting! . . .
is that what you saw, Margaret, standing in front of the mirrors there, at least they look clean enough to show brightly your character
Roel le Pair
Sherwood Park Apartments
www.sherwood-park.com

My photos: http://gallery.mac.com/roellepair
Roger D.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Roger D. »

I read this post few days ago and thought to myself "Am I the only one that detects a racist tone with this post." Thanks Steve for your oh so eloquent response. =D>
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Am I the only one to detect that Margaret has posted a glowing report of another hotel in Tobago?
And that Margaret obviously feels seriously let down and cheated out of a substantial amount of money as well since she didn´t receive her suite and not her money back as well? And is it not true that the Arnos Vale establishment has changed managers? I agree that it is unimportant what colour or creed the new manager has but I think it is important for us readers to get the information of what has happened. I am not at all sure that Margaret has any interest in projecting racial slurs or that she wants us to think less of the manager because he is indian-but I do think that she wants to inform us about his job skills. Surely that is not racism as such? She is also a first timer to this medium. Sadly, I do not think she will ever post another report here after this reception. How was it now in the great Book?
"Those without any blame should throw the first stone?"
I do not condone racism in any form which I hope Brian, brian and Sheppy will attest but I do not believe in crying "witch" when seeing an old lady, albeit if she wears a pointed hat. Now if she had a broom as well, that is another matter...
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Roger,I also thought that on reading it,but thought I may have been over-reacting because of my feelings towards 'Bago.I am glad I am not the only one who had doubts.
David
Roger D.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Roger D. »

Hey Dave a.k.a The Castara Kid :lol: I really thought to myself at time while reading the post, Am I really that paranoid? But thankfully not ! - these kind of comments have no place here, I was shocked, I must have read it three times - But, be that as it may - I'll meet you in Castara for a few Caribs...hmmm...how about Saturday ? :-({|=
I'm really tempted to get away from this shopping madness and spend Christmas sitting on the beach having a few...how does that sound :?:
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Dear Roger, David and Steve. I might be totally out on a limb here, but, if You change Margaret´s two nationalities mentioned around, e g from "Indian" to "Italian"- would You have reacted in the same way?
Would ANY of You have liked to experience what Margaret did? Can You not even imagine that she wants to project her sadness? And inform us so we do not choose Arnos Vale? I believe Steve agrees with all the fundamental facts? I am seriouly afraid we will shut up people in this forum if we condemn them that easily-and that will mean fewer negative posts. To me, the negative posts are the most important ones. I do not mind glowing reports of fabulous villas, but I do want to avoid the less desirable places. I have visited Arnos Vale (on visits) every time when I have been on the island. It had a tremendous reputation before, and as many probably know princess Margaret spent some time there-so there´s one for any royalist. I even have contemplated staying there after having spoken with the previous management. Now I will of course stay away. I would however be very sad if the condemnation of a new member of the forum results in people getting silent.
When I was robbed in my rented villa I took the liberty of mentioning that the perpetrators were local.
I am not altogether sure I would have dared to do that today after reading Your responses. Is this what You want? I agree that the tone of Margarets message is aggressive towards her "caregivers"-but I still think that MAY be because of her dreadful experience, especially in the light of her other review, where she (of course) doesn´t mention any races, colours or creeds of the owners. Am I so totally wrong and gullible here? :cry:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Stefan,that is the point,she doesn't mention colour race or creed in her second review.In her review of Arnos Vale she talks about the "Indian manager" not the manager and refers to the groundskeeper as"an overweight,lazy complaining blackman" who must "have a spliff before work"----her words not mine.
David.
ps.I do agree that Arnos has been badly mismanaged and become very run down.D.
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Dear David, I understand how You see it and of course, if one sees "Indian" as a negative racial epithet that may project an image of racism, and I would happily agree with You if she didn´t mention Italian as well. I still think there might be a possibility that she simply wants to point out the change of guard at Arnos Vale. Surely it isn´t forbidden to mention that anyone is Indian?
I agree that it is bad form to call anyone lazy and compaining and I might be considered overweight too. Putting "black" in the context is of course bad form especially if one wants to taint by association e g that black should in any way be associated with the other assets of said pot smoking individual. Nevertheless, it is possible that the gentleman encountered by Margaret was exactly as described, and therefore not an asset to her holiday.
Which-gentlemen, brings up what to me is the main problem-that Arnos Vale is seroiusly run down, and that i firmly believe that negative posts MUST be allowed and that, perhaps, one could teach new members what is considered good or bad form using less vitriol, and with a bit of understanding ove what a ruined holiday actually means.
I myself get three weeks off per year and have to work to pay my bills for the rest of the 4 weeks of holiday I am entitled to. I plan my vacations minutely. I would have been devastated after Margarets experience. I see Your side of the coin. Do You really not see any of my side? [-o<
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Stefan,indeed I do.I don't blame her for broadcasting her experience,we have all at sometime experienced similar(my first long term stay in Castara started off as an absolute disaster,and I complained),and If I had been her,and was that unhappy I would have left!
I also agree with you that prejudice is a personal thing that one cannot generalise.
David
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Thank You, David. I rest my case and feel reassured enough to stay on and offer a tot if and when we meet.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stefan

The wording of my original response were carefully measured. You will note that I totally endorsed this woman’s report on the general state of play at the Arnos Vale Hotel. I totally agree with you that these comments need to be aired. For all too long the Arnos Vale has relied on the support of an ever-decreasing group of long-time repeat customers who have largely not commented in public on the sad state of affairs at the hotel. So, in that respect I am delighted that Margaret has spoken out.

Although I was not surprised by the overall contents of the report, I was very taken aback by the clearly racist tone. Like others, I thought I was being over-sensitive. I couldn’t decided whether to react or not. Family illness and pressure of work means that time is short at the moment. As a result, I took the easy way out and decided to worry about it later, if and when somebody complained.

The emails I have received since the post prompted me into action. I could not allow the public to feel that racism has any place on this site. Margaret was NOT taken to task for criticising the hotel – that was made PERFECTLY clear. However, her constant remarks about the ethnicity (colour) of the manager (and gardener) have undoubtedly caused great offence, particularly to readers of Indian extraction.

You say that Margaret feels seriously let down. There no question – SHE HAS BEEN. This hotel should be closed. It brings great shame on Tobago. But, think how much credibility and support could have been given to her report without the overt racism.
Steve Wooler
Roger D.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Roger D. »

Hi Stefan - It was not what Margaret said about the Hotel itself - I would want to know, there is nothing wrong with the sharing your bad experiences along with the good, Nowhere is going to be perfect - but the racial undertones that were implied " The lease was up for the Italians and now it is Indian run and in bad, bad, shape" or the "very lazy overwight black grounds keeper" . Why not identify the folks involved as The Hotel Manager and the Grounds keeper without bringing someone's race or national identity into it? It should not matter what the race of someone is, but the skill and qualitiy of the individual themselves and the ability to get the job done? This is the way I see it, it was not done tastefully.

I lived in New York for 16+ Years and believe me, New Yorkers have a name for everyone and some of 'em are not so nice, in other words, I would have had the same reaction if there were derogatory statements made based on someone's race or national origin, whether they be Irish, English, Swede etc.....

This is going to be an interesting thread - Debate is good for the soul. Would you like to join David and myself for a couple of Caribs in Castara?
Roger %*}
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

=D> =D> =D>
As usual verywell put Mr Wooler sir(knuckling forehead)Are you sure you weren't in the Diplomatic Corps?
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Dear Roger. I have never been accused of missing an opportunity for beer and look fwd to that. I totally endorse that You have the right to view Margarets response as in Your eyes racist. I do not feel altogether comfortable in continuing this thread because of the risk of "guilt by association".
Let us just end with the fact that I have laid forth my view and You Yours and that I have given a new member the benefit of the doubt whether she is racist or just bloody mad over a ruined holiday.
I seem to recall that I myself sometimes swear and yell and, even, at times say things I might regret when really angry in real life. My fiancee seems to forgive me most of the time. Perhaps we can all forgive Margaret her unfortunate expressions, give her the benefit of the doubt of being a racist or not, and wish her a much better stay next time, perhaps with Brian or Adam in Castara? Instead of telling her to rot in Colorado? Unless she truly is a member of the John Birch Society...

Dear Steve. I might be blind, but I have never during my years here seen this forum as a haven for racists. I am very much for civilized conduct and trust You implicitly in running Your excellent forum. I have noted, however, that all three of You have been vacillating over Your response to Margaret´s original posting. Surely that means that You as well didn´t know what to make of it first. Sadly, I think we will never know if Margaret truly is a racist, white supremacist or just a very sad one time guest to Tobago AND MyTobago after the responses she received. I, for one, will NOT continue this sad thread. I think there is too much politicizing in the world. In my personal Tobago, I will want information about righ left and centre, but only on a map! And I do not look on the map only from a right hand view either. Can´t we keep Tobagó a paradise and leave our personal politics outside and endorse our right to personal opinions instead? With less instant condemnation?
My personal reply to Margaret would have been:
"Dear Margaret, it saddens me to hear Your dreadful story. Mismanagement is always painful to experience, irrespectively of where the provider might come from. Surely You do not have anything against being served by people of colour, going to the Caribbean? We thank You for Your information and suggest You browse the forum and discover all the fantastic places Tobago abounds in for Your next, no doubt much more successful stay"
But I am, of course no diplomat-just a country doctor trapped in a crumbling country pile.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stefan

Fair comment! Let's just accept that none of us are diplomats (thank God!)
Steve Wooler
Roger D.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Roger D. »

Let's all have a Beer :D
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

You are all three welcome to the wine cellar of Maryholme, stocked to the brim with, among other interesting thingies to get drunk on, 20 varieties of Christmas ale and a Demerara rum aged in Laphroaig casks. How would that be instead of Your bush rum, David? And, even if the Cellar keeps ale deliciously cool, I may even heat it up for You dyed-in-the-wool brits. Or is David a pict? Or celt? See how deliciously complicated even a simple invitation may be...
Chrs everyone and do get into the spirit of the Festive season. :)
Roger D.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Roger D. »

Looking up flights on SAS to Stockholm. :lol:

Return to “Arnos Vale Hotel”