Arnos Vale Hotel ceases trading

29 room 3* hotel located on the Arnos Vale plantation
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Arnos Vale Hotel ceases trading

Post by Steve Wooler »

I have heard a number of different reports over the past week or two saying that the Arnos Vale Hotel has now closed for good. I passed there two nights ago and can confirm that the gates were closed and securely locked with chain and heavy padlocks, so it looks as if the reports are correct.

This does not surprise me - I just feel that the Bronte family that own the place should be prosecuted for such gross mismanagement of one of Tobago's most beautiful and historic sites.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Arnos Vale Hotel ceases trading

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

My last dealings with Mrs Bronte ended up in her point blank refusal to pay me approx $2,500 for booking commissions back in 2008 (after she had enjoyed the bookings). I never saw that payment in spite of appeals to Mr Bronte and a complaint to the Hotel association (of which we were both members) with their backing, and like a lot of her tourism agents, simply ceased to place bookings at the hotel, after several years worth of good business.

Shortly afterwards her best team member departed after some years and the whole hotel continued its inexorable slide to this ultimate fate.

It is a classic case of under-investment/"cheap & nasty management" = deterioration of staff and premises = fewer bookings = less investment and meaner management and so on, the classic death spiral.

And to think that back in 73 she was every mans' dream: http://www.touristsadvice.com/sintra-br ... oster.html

Let us hope for a buyer with plenty of money and business sense to come in soon.
Roel le Pair
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Roel le Pair »

Can anyone update on possibilities to access the wonderful beach at Arnos Vale Bay ?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Roel
No problem – you can still get to the beach, I’m sure.

Although not officially confirmed, I have heard rumours that the Arnos Vale Hotel opened again last week. So, visitors may be able to park at the hotel and gain access to the beach - but they should expect to be charged for the privilege if they do. However, the hotel is clearly in terminal decline and is sure to close again before long, so it's worth being aware of the options....

There are two ways to gain access to the beach. The second of the two is the easier, but does require a little more of a walk – although not materially any further than walking from the old hotel’s car park.

1) When approaching Plymouth from the south (i.e. anywhere except from Les Cotteaux, Culloden, Moriah, etc), take the first turning right onto the Arnos Vale Road, rather than continuing into Plymouth itself. After 0.5Km take the second turning left, towards Plymouth (next left after passing Pharjoes bar on the right). After 125m, just as the road starts to curve left, take the right turn, forking left after a further 50m. Follow this road for some 0.8Km. Most of the latter half was un-surfaced the last time I went along it, but perfectly okay for cars. It eventually comes to an end, just a few metres from Arnos Vale beach.

2) As above, turn right onto the Arnos Vale Road, but continue the 1.5-2Km towards Arnos Vale, then turn left onto the unmade Mot Mot Trail. The hotel entrance is just 20m down this trail. Park anywhere you can in this area. You will then need to walk back to the main road. Notice the drainage ditch on your right? Well, a path runs parallel to the Mot Mot Trail, on the other side of that ditch. So, walk back to the main road, turn right and within 5m after crossing the ‘bridge’ over the drainage ditch, you will see a footpath running down the other bank of the ditch, heading back towards the hotel. Follow this footpath around the wire fence around the hotel. It will take you directly to Arnos Vale beach.

Then, enjoy!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Arnos Vale Hotel”