Guest Report

5 guest rooms about Sharon & Pheb's Restaurant in Charlotteville (listing)
Tom Taussik

Guest Report

Post by Tom Taussik »

It is what it is. My wife and I came to Tobago to do some bird watching and get a feel for the place. If we had wanted luxury accommodation and to sit on a beach, we would have picked one of the island's resort hotels. As it was recommended by Newton George (our excellent guide found through a My Tobago recommendation) we booked at The Big Fish Prestige Suite. It more than served our needs. The owners George and Sharon, and their colleague Rita, were friendly and helpful, and provided all that we required. The room itself had everything we needed - a comfortable bed, a good shower, a fridge and microwave and adequate storage space. On the landing outside of the room there was a communal gas stove, a kettle and toaster, washing-up material and plates, cutlery, etc. Rita organised for us to do a washing machine load of dirty clothes. The wifi down on the terrace worked well and the bar / restaurant served good drinks and meals at reasonable prices.

As we were out most days doing tours, The Big Fish was an ideal place as a base. Newton George arranged for our transport to Charlotteville from the airport and picked us up for our excursions. He also picked up people from some of the luxury hotels around the island, so I compared prices - we were paying a fifth of the price of the cheapest room at Blue Waters and we slept just as well as the guests there.

Charlotteville itself is an interesting town with a small public beach and around the bay from better beaches. There are a few small shops selling provisions which meant that self-catering was a possibility (we didn't bother to do cooking for ourselves). If staying there, make sure to have lunch at the Suckhole, but allow all afternoon for the experience - we are not talking fast-food here.

All in all, I can highly recommend The Big Fish for travellers who want reasonable accommodation and are careful with their cash.

Return to “The Big Fish Prestige Suite”