Guest Report

2 studio apartments in central Castara (listing)
Ken Fabbi

Guest Report

Post by Ken Fabbi »

I came to Castara without booking a place. I was looking for simple living; with just a room, sun shine, the quiet environment and meals place. When I got off the bus form Scarborough, I went to the first little orange colored shop I saw called DJ's Mini Mart and asked the man if he Knew of any rooms. He Suggested across the street at Marvin's.

Marvin is a nice young gentleman. He Showed me around and I was amazed. It was far beyond what I was looking for - a bed with bathroom privileges, would have been fine. I saw it as a gift from the Lord. It was off season and we came to a price and I think both of us were blessed. There are two studio apartments with balcony above his trendy little bar called T 'Keyah's Place.

How is you're Trinidadian - T 'Keyah's Place'de Bess Lime'. Each unit is about 24 x 15 ft and has it's own attached three piece bathroom with shower. The units come with one very comfortable king bed and a kitchenette with sink, frig, oven and burners, toaster, electric kettle, cutlery and dishes with. There is even the iron with ironing board just in case you miss home.

What is there to the in Castara? Nothing but lay back - chill! It is a quiet little village with few amenities. There is beach, sand and a beautiful view. Roosters wake you in the morning. There are a number of eating places but do not expect them to operate on western standards of time. They open sometimes, some days on Tobago / Trinidad time. You get used to it (throw the watch in the suitcase).

From my veranda above T 'Keyah's Place, Marvin's trendy bar, you can see down Castara Bay Road to the beach Approximately 100 meters. There is a school and a number of little shops with the Community Health center across the street. You can also see up the coastal road to many residences tucked in the palm trees and place. Beautiful. Everything is built on the hillside, so everything is up and down. Good walking shoes are recommended if you are into walking. I walked one hour to the next beach called Englishman's Bay. It is a good workout. The bay is pristine with only one little store front.

What strikes me the the key flavor here in Castara is That It is very quiet and laid back. It is a great escape from the business of Canadian / North American life.

Let me tell you about the buses! I got here from Scarborough by airconditioned bus. They do not have a schedule and they do not have a bus depot in Scarborough. They begin at 4 am and run off and on - at least morning and evening. It is cheap $ 4 one way Ttd, which is about 80 cents Canadian. Waiting at bus stops is a nice way to meet locals. Often you get picked up by locals who know the frailty of the bus system and are happy to take you along.

As you can see I enjoyed Castera. I recommend you give Marvin a call and stay for a while getting into the flow of this place. It will give you rest and rejuvenate your soul.

Return to “C & K Apartments”