Tipping and Gifts

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Diane
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Tipping and Gifts

Post by Diane »

I will be visiting Tobago for my first time in a few months.
I have looked at your information about tipping, and had a few questions.

Many other large hotels, I have visited on other Islands in the Caribbean now actively discourage tipping staff, and will punish those staff who do accept tips - is this happening in Tobago or should I be tipping.

Where I have not been able to tip, and also to show appreciation, I have often given little gifts that I have bought over from the UK. I know especially in St Lucia, the females go crazy for make up and magazine gifts. Is this something I can do, if so what would be the most appropriate things to bring?

Really looking forward to exploring this beautiful Island.

Thank you all for any advice / help.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Tipping and Gifts

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Diane

Welcome aboard! :)

Well, there's a question that could open a can of worms. It's a subject that I feel very strongly about; so strongly that I would be in danger of insulting our cousins on the other side of the pond if I were to express them here. Trouble is, my opinions are based on an ideal scenario and life isn't like that, so we have to think about it from the point of the poor souls who are most likely to be the recipients of your largesse.

Yes, I have heard of attempts to curb the scurge of tipping in islands not dominated by the American market, but I haven't heard of any such moves by All-Inclusive hotels on Tobago. So, no problem with tipping - but please keep it discrete. Whether you SHOULD be tipping is another matter. Firstly, check the terms of your package if you've booked through a package/tour operator. If it says that gratuities are included, then assume that they are. Clearly there may be individual members of staff that you want to give that little extra to; in which case I personally would favour your suggestion of a gift, perhaps with an approriate local bank note included. St Lucia is very similar to Tobago in many ways, so use your experience there to judge the most suitable gifts.

In truth, there will be a huge range of opinion on this subject so go with your own conscience, not what I suggest. At what point in the chain does a genuine gesture of appreciation become a personal insult? I spent 3-4 years in a role where I was a regular recipient of gratuities, a few years back, as customer's often did not appreciate that I owned the business. The experience I gained at that time was useful and I came to the conclusion that you could invariably tell the difference between the genuine customer who truly wanted to show appreciation for your services and those who were simply 'buying you' in anticipation of favoured status and better service; or the even worst culprits - those who were simply making a grand public gesture and letting everyone within earshot know of their assumed superiority and size of wallet. Call me an old cynic!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Danno
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Danno »

Diane wrote:I will be visiting Tobago for my first time in a few months.
I have looked at your information about tipping, and had a few questions.

Many other large hotels, I have visited on other Islands in the Caribbean now actively discourage tipping staff, and will punish those staff who do accept tips - is this happening in Tobago or should I be tipping.

Where I have not been able to tip, and also to show appreciation, I have often given little gifts that I have bought over from the UK. I know especially in St Lucia, the females go crazy for make up and magazine gifts. Is this something I can do, if so what would be the most appropriate things to bring?

Really looking forward to exploring this beautiful Island.

Thank you all for any advice / help.
During our recent trip, I made a habit of tipping in restaurants the same way I do at home. (10-15%)
This seemed to be well accepted and appreciated, although I certainly did not make a big deal about it.
I also tipped the maid who cleaned our condo every other day. She seemed genuinely surprised and said it was not necessary, but did accept it very graciously. She brought us a gift before we left for home to express her appreciation of our kindness. I do not believe that she was offended.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Danno

Spot on! That is exactly what I do - and most people do I think. I would always tip the housekeeper at the end of our stay in a villa or other self-catering property. I am surprised that maid seemed surprised but would suggest that is more a sign of the embarassment that these lovely people feel when faced with this situation - and her response in bringing you a gift is something I hear of and have experienced many times.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Diane
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Diane »

Thank you Steve and Danno for the advice,

so as I would normally, discrete and with true meaning of an appreciation of a job well done, and for those extra special people a little something special.

Looking forward to going, and thanks for the mytobago site, has really helped.
Pedros
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Pedros »

We did not tip the restaurants as rule.. but did tip the cleaners, bar staff, etc who went out of their way to make our stay memorable. It seemed to work for us!!

Return to “General Questions & Comment”