prepaid digicel micro sim card

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Cindy W
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

prepaid digicel micro sim card

Post by Cindy W »

Hi,

I have for sale a prepaid Digicel micro SD sim card with Tobago number. The card only cost me about $7US but it still has about $22US airtime on it and worked perfectly in my Droid Motorola RazzrM. Free shipping and can pay by PayPal, I'm only asking $15.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: prepaid digicel micro sim card available

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Cindy

I'm interested and am following up by email.

A couple of general question for everyone regarding prepaid Digicell SIM cards.

1) Are they still deactivating these cards if not used for 6 months? If so, can they be reactivated. You used to be able to get them reactivated by going into TSTT, but I've had a couple of reports saying that you can no longer do that and have to get a new card.

2) Is roaming/use abroad possible on these cards? In other words, would it be possible to use the card here in the UK to make a quick call to keep the card active - and assuming one had enough credit of course.

Cheers, Guys & Gals
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: prepaid digicel micro sim card available

Post by Andy K »

Steve,

i am not sure about micro SIMs.

Normal DIGICEL SIMs now expire after 30 days. At least this is what i was told at the DIGICEL outlet
in West Mall, Trinidad. The card cannot be reactivated after 3 months, meaning within 2 months after
it expired.
Quite often it is difficult to get a replacement at the DIGICEL outlets, as they have very limited
numbers of cards for sale unless you but a new phone with it.

You may roam with a DIGICEL prepaid SIM, but make sure international roaming service is activated, before you
leave Trinidad & Tobago.

TSTT cannot activate or reactivate DIGICEL SIMs. TSTT / BMOBILE is a completely different provider company.

Cheers,

Andy
Steve Wooler

Re: prepaid digicel micro sim card

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Andy

Thanks for that - but I've had a bit of an update directly from Digicell, who have given a very full and helpful reply to an email explaining use of their prepaid SIM cards. They say:
We wish to advise that a new sim card has a life span of 30 days from the date of activation. To activate a prepaid sim card, customers are required to make a call from the number. Once the account has been topped up, the life span is extended for 180 days from the date of top up. The expiry date can be seen when doing a balance enquiry, the following message will appear on the screen of the phone: Your main account balance is $ x.xx and expires on month/day/year.

Online tops can be done while out of the country to ensure that the sim card remains active. You do have the option to select the automatic option where top up amount are added at a specified date set by our customers. To do this, you firstly have to register for the service on our website: www.digiceltt.com. The top up credit on the account will be available for usage while within Trinidad and Tobago as well as while roaming.
So, all of this seems fine and a big improvement on the old days. It means you can use their automatic online top-up facility to put a minimal payment in every 180 days and keep your SIM card active - ideal for people like myself and the many villa owners who only spend limited amounts of time on Tobago but who want/need/would like a local cellphone.

Thanks for the point about TSTT - my original number was with Bmobile, who are owned by TSTT, and in those days there were no cellphone outlets and you could only get the phones reactivated at the TSTT office in Wilson Road. It's all changed since those days, thank heavens!
Steve Wooler
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

I sincerely hope DIGICEL handles prepaid accounts as outlined above.
BMOBILE DOESN'T ! Even if you keep topping up and your credit has not expired, the account will
be terminated after 3 months, because you did not USE it, i.e. you have not been spending money.
This happened to me just 2 month ago after an unplanned 4 months stay abroad. How i argued with
the BMOBILE customer service (?) rep, it didn't help. Even though i had TT$ 85.00 VALID credit on the
account, the account had still been terminated due to lack of use. Beware, it is not enough to call
your other phone and let it ring a few times ! You have to ANSWER the call and use up some money.
Otherwise ... you will be screwed (see above).

I would not be surprised if DIGICEL does the same thing. Would be worth a clarification in writing from DIGICEL ...
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Andy

I was quoting from a very helpful and comprehensive email from Digicel and they assure me that it is no problem keeping your phone active, even if you are abroad.
Steve Wooler

Return to “General Questions & Comment”