Contacts needed in Tobago!

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Dan_Turner
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Contacts needed in Tobago!

Post by Dan_Turner »

Hi. i'm new to the forum, although been using the website for years, and was a regular visit to the Island between 2005-2009.

I'm coming back to Tobago in July to make a feature film! Something Ive wanted to do ever since I first visited and fell in love with it.
The film is a real passion project for me. (which generally equates to little money! haha). anyway... I'm going to be in Tobago with a small cast and crew, and wondered if anybody would be up for helping us out a little?
Nothing really heavy, just maybe suggesting a few contacts out there and a few locations, that kind of thing.

Since I was last there Ive been fortunate to have a movie distributed in cinemas in the UK and have finally made a bit of a name for myself, so anyone getting involved would be sure to get a good credit and much kudos!
However, as i said, its a passion project, rather than a big commercial one, and something I need to do at this time of my life. (i.e. I'm getting older :) )

We will be in Tobago for a month, but it would be great to chat to people based out there now and make contacts and see whats possible, and maybe find some folk who fancy being in the film itself!

Maybe you can let me know if you'd be "our man/woman in Tobago?" that sounds very glam!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this email, its much appreciated.

i can't wait to get back to Tobago!

Dan
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Contacts needed in Tobago!

Post by Hugh S »

Hey Dan,

I sent a PM.

Hugh 8)
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Dan

I have done some film of Tobago.

If you give me your address I will happily send some DVD's over to you ... I am an amateur but if my films are of any help to you in seeking locations and getting the right people to take you there I hope I can be of assistance.

Steve Wooler can give you my email address if you ask him ... he has my authority.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Dan_Turner
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Dan_Turner »

Hey Paul

Not sure who Steve Wooler is, but have sent a PM to you.

best

Dan
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well Paul, nobody could say you've scrimped on your research - particularly given you opening comments above that you've used this site for years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, just for the record, Steve Wooler is the founder, owner, administrator, editor and chief bottle-washer of this website. :roll:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Love it ... HaHaHa :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Dan_Turner
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Dan_Turner »

Ah! thank you for clarifying Steve.

Please feel free to PM me any contact details.

All gratefully received :)
GillMathews
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by GillMathews »

Hi Dan,
I have sent you a PM.
Regards Gill.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Same here ... I sent it a week ago.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Dan maybe you should contact the TT film festival people?
[email protected]
They hold regular viewings here & would be able to help you get in touch with the right people if you wish you use any TT locations commercially ?
Chris Runciman
Production Manager
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

The post from Chris reminded me, Dan. You will need to contact the Trinidad & Tobago Film Company as you will need a licence to film and a temporary import licence for your equipment. Email [email protected] and they will send you the necessary information and forms.

We have to go through it on every visit because the customs officers are like bees to honey when they see our equipment flight cases. You have to submit a form listing all the equipment you are bringing in. On arrival, Customs check (well, sometimes) the serials numbers listed. They are then supposed to check the equipment on departure, to ensure that you are taking it all back out of the country.

When we arrived in Tobago two months ago, we went straight through the red channel, bypassing the dreaded queues for the scanner. Our cases had come off quickly and we were hopefully of being one of the first out of the airport. Sadly, customs hadn't received the necessary form from Head Office in Trinidad.

Earlier that day, I had received an email from the Film Company confirming that all the necessary paperwork had been done and the licence/permit issued. This wasn’t good enough for the Customs Officer. He said we could leave with our normal luggage, but the flight cases would have to remain at the airport until we produced the necessary forms. As it happened, I did have several hard copies of the form. However, he wouldn’t accept these because “they hadn’t come from the right source”. Chicken and egg!

Much frustrated, I telephoned the Film Company from the Customs Hall. They contacted customs Head Office, who relayed a message to the officer via myself and the Film Company, telling him to get someone to answer their office telephone and to switch on their fax machine. They had been trying to contact send the form all day, but couldn't get a reply. So, the officer (local head of department) went and switched on the fax personally. Ten minutes later, he came back with two blank pieces of paper. I put money on it that the toner had run out. So, he telephoned Head Office, who told him to manually list the make, model and serial numbers of every piece of equipment in the flight cases. Sense prevailed; he agreed to use the original copy of the form that I had sent to the Film Company and which he should have received via his Head Office. He never even looked at the equipment, but just stamped the form and gave me a copy which we were supposed to present for checking on departure. That’s another story for another day.
A couple of beastly cold Stags later, I had cooled down enough to laugh about the situation. It was just SO Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Ahh, business as usual!
Dan_Turner
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Dan_Turner »

Thanks for this info Steve. only just checked back today. I will make sure we get on to this pronto. i suspect you've just saved us a very major headache!

Return to “General Questions & Comment”