Need help choosing a town...

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Farrbrecka
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Need help choosing a town...

Post by Farrbrecka »

Hi all,
Looking for some good info about where I could live on island for about 3-6 months, maybe longer... It's been quite challenging finding town descriptions. I would love any recommendations based on my preferences. Super Thanks!!
- I would like to rent a furnished, cost efficient apartment within 10-15min walking distance from beach, town and entertainment.
- I will not have a vehicle.
- I really want a town with great nightlife and friendly locals.
I'll be arriving before the end of August. Please please offer up any town suggestions :) Many thanks!!
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Need help choosing a town...

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Farrbrecka

Tobago's towns are very different from USA towns, more like villages in comparison. I would recommend that you look for rentals in an area with a high concentration of tourists, rather than a remote village or part of one of the small towns where everyone is local, as you will attract too much attention and not always invited.

So find some holiday apartment owners and email them and ask for long term rates. Besides, local apartments aimed at residents and working people are highly sought after and short in supply, and are rarely if ever advertised as word of mouth quickly fills them.

Meanwhile, how do you propose to obtain permission from the immigration officers to live in Tobago, assuming you have a US passport? If you have a T&T passport through ancestry this will obviously not be an issue. Remember that T&T were once British run islands and are not in the US empire or sphere of influence, hence a US passport will get you nothing (apart from lots of marriage proposals) :)
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

When you arrive you will get a 3 month visa.
If you wish to extend your stay you have to make an appointment with the immigration office in Scarborough to apply and account for why you want an extension.
Last time we did it I think it was $100TT. Dress up for the interview!
For nightlife etc then you are looking at Crown point area, if you want real Tobago life then go up country!
May be too quiet for you though?
Castara, Charlotteville, Black Rock etc, ( all are right on the beach ) they have all seen a white person before Glynn and will make you feel at home!
A 3 month let, you will have no problem, it depends on what level of accommodation you are looking for how much and what facilities you get. n Crown Point you can rent a bike and it is all flat around there.
Maybe take a few days going around the island until you find the right place for YOU !
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Chris, we have no idea what colour skin he or she has, and it had no relevance to my point - a US citizen of any colour will stand out by a country mile, and (unlike short term tourists who stay in guest apartments with a watchful hotelier or owner keeping an eye etc), will easily fall victim to scammers, burglars, courtiers or anyone else who might need or want something. But in a long term "locals" rental, there will usually be nobody to keep an eye on the tenant, no fears of any bad mention on Trip Advisor etc - the person will literally be on his or her own-some.

Having lived in 2 Tobago villages/town-lets, we can confirm that expat residents can be treated very differently by both locals and the local police, than tourists in hotels. Hence my note of caution - should he or she go stay in, say, a residential apartment in Darrel Spring road in Scarborough Town, or some dodgy back street in Buccoo/Plymouth etc in your opinion?
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Hello all,

The only area to find both beach and nightlife without a car is the Crown Point area.

The best advice I have heard so far is to spend a few days or a week deciding if you really want to stay for up to 6 months.

Please study this website carefully - do your homework and most of your questions will be answered.

Hugh 8)

Return to “General Questions & Comment”