Mount Irvin beach

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Sjaak En Marieke
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Mount Irvin beach

Post by Sjaak En Marieke »

Is Mount Irvin a publicatie beach? I think it is but I read that some people must leave the beach!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Mount Irvin beach

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Sjaak

By law, ALL beaches are public on Tobago. However, that does not give you the right to cross private land in order to get to the beach. So, if a beach is surrounded by someone's land, it is almost a private beach - although there's nothing to prevent you swimming or coming into the beach by boat.

There are two section to Mount Irvine beach; one opposite the hotel and the other adjacent to the beach facilities and café. Now, it is just possible that the road leading down to the 'hotel' beach belongs to the hotel and they therefore have the right to prevent public access. However, I haven't heard of them applying any restrictions, so don't know what/where you've heard of problems. Even if they do prevent access and parking down their road, you can still access the beach from the public road or from the car park at the beach facilities area. So, there shouldn't be a problem.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

As Steve say, there are two beaches, and the one oppisite the hotel has own restaurant/café s there, so I guess that they did build the road too. And if too many comes by car, that road will be totally blocked, so they do have right to tell peoples to move away.

I´ve been there many times, walking down from the main road, never had any problems with that. So it might be so that the cars gave some peoples problem, or it might be someone who did put down their items, towles and so on, too close to the buildings.

And for the restaurant/café, the hotel is the owner of that land of course, but not the beach itself and not the part of the area closer to the sea.
If I remember right, there´s a law wich say that a hotel can not be the owner of the land all the way down to the sea, but I don´t remember how big the public land must be.
The problem is that there´s NO sign (at least I haven´t seen anyone) that say "Prvate land start here".
GervaisAlkins
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by GervaisAlkins »

The law Ronald is referring to is called the 'Three Chains Act". Basically it means that all land with three metres of the high-tide mark belongs to the public. Interesting part with that is the high tide mark has been rising throughout the years but that's entirely a different matter.
My father worked at Mt Irvine Hotel for a number of years plus I also lived there and don't event recall him saying that road is private. I don't think it's private. There's another old law (it may be also be part of the Three Chains Act) that states that if there is public access to a beach a landowner cannot block off that access because it's passing through his/her land. If they do block access, they have to create another way to for the public to get to the beach.
I believe this is the case of beaches like Arnos Vale beach and Pigeon Point. The one exception is Coco Reef's beach because it's man made.
WendyMay
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by WendyMay »

Myself and family visit this beach (the hotel one) very often, during our visits to Tobago. It's one of our favourites as one can hire a sunbed and have lunch and drinks, at the bar. The oldies hire a sunbed and relax while the men snorkel and the kids play on the sand and in the sea. It's usually quiet and very relaxed. Magic!
The staff there are really nice and friendly and always seem pleased to see us. We have never had a problem. We park on the side road, if there is room, otherwise on the road and walk.
Wish I was there now.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Mount Irvine Beach is always a favourite for chilling and the sea is very calm at the Hotel end.

Yes, the road does get a bit congested but the Hotel staff there make you feel welcome. They greet me every year.

The only rules are ... don't go into the restaurant area with sand on your feet otherwise you will upset the sunbed man. If you buy drinks and food (at reasonable prices) you will be well cared for.

This beach is also very safe as there are security guards employed by the hotel watching at a discreet distance. On some days you can have a massage.

There are also excellent ladies and gents facilities and although they are sometimes locked you can just go ask. I have been privileged visit the beach and be provided with the shower room facilities (at their discretion) as my last stop before I board the plane for my depressing flights home.

Nice place.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “General Questions & Comment”