Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Saethon
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

ATM in Castara

Post by Saethon »

Hi,
Hopefully last ? before I come to Tobago #-o
Just read a post somewhere that said the ATM machine in Castara is not accepting European cards????

Anyone there right now (or recently) who can confirm/refute this?

If true, I hope the one at the airport is full :lol:

Thanks........
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

ATM machine in Castara ( and elsewhere ! )

Post by Chris Runciman »

I will check again this morning ,15th March,but:
Alas in spite of repeated calls and letters to 1st Citizen Bank NONE of their ATM machines accept overseas cards.
#ATM machines belonging to other banks, Scotia, RBC etc do accept cards! #
We advise guests coming to Castara to obtain local currency when they arrive at the airport or bring enough for a few days with them.
Local stores, bars or restaurants, tour operators , almost without exception , operate on a cash only basis.
This has caused both visitors and locals a lot of problems.
All ATM machines in the north, Plymouth, Castara, Roxborough, are operated by 1st Citizens Bank.
Pennysavers Supermarket , which is often visitors first port of call, does take overseas cards.
NOTE: Always inform your card issuer that you are going to overseas(Tobago) so that unusual cash withdrawals are not 'red flagged' by their security systems!
Saethon
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Re: ATM in Castara

Post by Saethon »

Thanks so much, Chris, even though it was not the *best* news.
Do you think there wil be funds available at the airport ATMs given that many in the same position as myself can only get TTs there?

Also, I seem to recall you mentioned, in a post from some time ago, that there is a bar or restaurant or somewhere in Castara who would cash a credit card, albeit for "small" amounts?

Unfortunately, here in DE it's just not possible to find TTs :roll:
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Saethon

You should have no problem at the airport and/or in the banks near the airport - most of those are with other banks, not First Citizen. Best to have a look at our ATM page (menu: Information > Money Matters > ATMs - http://www.mytobago.info/cashmachines.php ) where we posted this warning some time ago and where we list the location (and associated bank) of all the ATMs I know about.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Florian Jeschke
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Florian Jeschke »

Hello,

the ATM in castara accepted my german VISA-Card last year, and the "EC"-Card from a friend of mine.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Alas Florian that was last year and yes the machine did then accept overseas cards but that was last year. As of December 2015 FCB ATMs do not accept them !
At 09.48 . 15.03.16, local time the First Citizen Bank ATM machine in Castara still not recognising overseas cards
( My Lloyds Bank Mastercard ). "Withdrawal exceeds limit" unquote........................!
Phone number for problems ( err?) is (868) 678-7339 . If you have the patience .....................
I am calling David Oliviere 678 7339 ( the man supposed to be dealing with is..........) again,
I call several times a week from different phones as my mobile he will not accept calls from?
Saethon
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Saethon »

Thanks both Steve & Chris for the info.
I just hope I can find a "serviceable" (as in "working" with money!) machine by the airport or supermarket.

By the way, Chris - I notice you have an additional title now? Not just 'Professor" but now 'Proposer'???? ;) ;)
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The ATM in the south are well serviced ! We should be "in town" tomorrow so will be able to confirm......
Not sure if I like the latter title, was that a spell check error? From where did that come?
Saethon
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Saethon »

TA - CD review
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

The ATM by the Airport is often empty or there´s something wrong.
Royal Banks ATM is OK but they add an amount for using their ATM.
Republic Banks ATM is also OK and they do not add extras when using their ATM.
There´s also a new one, don´t remember which banks, by these new buildings nearby the junction, but it was not workíng the last time I tried that ATM.
Next ATM is Republic Banks ATM by Penny Savers in Bon Accord/Canaan
The last one down here is First Citicen´s ATM, also in Bon Accord/Canaan, after you pass Penny Savers

If they are all empty, you have ATM´s at Republic Banks Head Office by the big round-about on the way to Scarborough, so you have quite many to choose between.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The issue is with First Citizen Bank ATMs only !
Saethon
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Saethon »

Thanks so much, Chris.

Is the one you mention by Pennysavers reliable? And is that the same Pennysavers we normally would stop at on the way from the airport? Just so our driver knows......
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

If you mean the PenneSavers in Bon Accord/Canaan, yep.
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

i'd err on the side of caution i think and use one available within Crown Point - RBTT (2 machines although unless you know it you'd miss the 2nd - it's a drive through to the left of the building) or Republic - other side of the road occupying most of Pelican Plaza)

i think, but i've not been on that side of the building recently, that Scotiabank at the mall have a drive through as well (although most of their ATMs are in the main body of the bank unfortunately)

Blue Machine at Pennysavers working impeccably over the last few weeks - is there one at the Carnbee branch?

Paul
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Paul

Good to read you back on the forum. Yes, I totally agree with everything you say and yes, there is a Blue Machine at PenyySavers Carnbee - on the front left side corner of the building (houses Drug Doves pharmacy, etc) in front of the supermarket.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi All,
Yes, there is an ATM at the Carnbee Pennysaver...however it is quite often empty. But you are close enough to try the ATM at the new main Republic Bank at the round about. One word of caution...try to avoid using on the first/second day of the month....it probably will be empty and you will have to join 50 thousand other people lined up in the bank. Why they can have money at the tellers, but cannot take the time to fill up the ATM is a mystery!@#. Almost forgot, there is also an ATM (Republic) at the Orange Hill gas station....can be iffy. luck of the draw if full.
Cheers, Carol
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

sometimes i think they just pretend to be empty or lie to you about the state of your finances.

i have often found that a refusal to pay me out what i first request can be swerved by asking it for a lesser sum. and then just repeat until i get the amount i need. RBTT at Crown Point regularly catches me out with this one.

also - fridays is payday for many people and it's much more likely for machines to be over-subscribed from about 14.00

paul
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Paul,
So true...I remember a time when an ATM only had 20TT's...I was stashing wads in my pockets and hoped the wind didn't pick up. People behind me, were not happy!!
Cheers, Carol
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

The ATM now accepts overseas cards !!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Not worked over the last week but I have had trouble with most ATM's and it seems that different ATM's have preference to different Cards ... still sussing which card is right for which ATM.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Return to “General Questions & Comment”