another "what's this about then?" question

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

another "what's this about then?" question

Post by Paul Makin »

on lambeau beach approx half way to the hilton, there's what to all intents and purposes seems to be a big chunk of a commercial airliner's tail fin propped in the sand.

some of the ID is missing so can't google the 'plane itself. there's some other markings visible but they're in an eastern script which is just squiggles to me.

i suspect it's a chunk of scrap that's been washed overboard and ended up in the bay but interested to have any info

regards
paul
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: another "what's this about then?" question

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Paul

How interesting! I haven't heard anything about it and it would be fascinating to hear if anyone knows anything about it. I would agree with your thoughts. My mind immediately went to the missing Malaysian Airlines flight, but I can't envisage that the sea currents could take debris all the way down and around the tip of South America and then up.

I shall be spending a week at the Magdalena in about 5 weeks time, so I will look forward to having a look at that.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

just heard from a friend who lives over there that "we" think it's part of a failed Indian satellite launch. i may recall seeing G-SA... on it and the pedia of Wiki's suggests that a number of these have failed either on launch or failure to achieve orbit.

would certainly account for what you can see of the construction and internal structures/materials

paul
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

How did I miss this two weeks ago? (I even drove by there twice!)
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

'cos you need to be well on the way to hilton in order to see it, you have no chance of spotting it from the road. today we stuck some big bamboo behind it and now it really does look like it just "landed" there.

i am technologically incompetent but my partner has a photograph of it on something called an i-phone. if anyone can tell us how we'll post it up. she has i-phone 5SE and i have windows 7.

i really do mean step by step instructions, none of your IT skills here i'm afraid. like how do i connect her phone to my computer - i really have no clue

paul
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Go to the Photo in the iphone.

in the bottom left corner is a box with an arrow pointing upwards ... tab it.

The photo has a 'ticked box' and below you have options ... tab the mail option.

Next up you enter the email address (i.e.; your email address).

Then send.

Go to your PC with Windows 7 and open the email, open the attached photo and save it somewhere.

I don't know how to upload the photo here so maybe Steve Wooler can help or, alternatively, send it to Steve and he will post it here.

Hope this is detailed enough.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in responding but we arrived in Tobago just a couple of hours before Paul's post and it's taken me this time to get myself sorted and my laptop out of the bag. Incidentally, Paul, the weather couldn't be nicer here at the moment. Very settled; almost cloudless skies and a really comfortable warm 29 degrees or so. Fabulous. Hope I'm making you sick :mrgreen:

Anyway, adding photos to posts couldn't be eaier. When adding or replying to a post, just checkout the page immediately beneath the post/your reply. You will see two tabs - one entitled 'Options' and the other 'Upload Attachment'. Click on this latter button. Use the 'choose file' button to locate/identify the photo you want to show the click on 'Add the file'. The image will upload and you can then 'Submit' your post. Easy, peasy! :D
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

As the sea at Mount Irvine this afternoon was about as filthy as the London Thames in the old days, there was little else to do but chat and I elicited a good description of the mystery debris from a very reliable aeronautically minded witness who will have to remain anonymous as I didn't ask his permission to mention his name globally.

This led me, at his suggestion, to Google 'iGSAT'. In October 2016 an Indian GSAT was successfully launched from Kourou, French Guiana. I would suspect that this might be part of an early stage from the spacecraft. Apparently the fragment has 'Indian' writing on it as well, further leaning towards this connection.

However, if it has been there since before October 2016, there will have to be another explanation. Failed launches would seem more likely to dump random pieces of debris and I would be surprised at an early section of the spacecraft carrying the name of what might be only part of the overall payload.

Hopefully we will see a picture soon.

Frank
Last edited by Frank and Mina on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

think this must be it. it definitely wasn't on the beach in december but it's probably taken this long to get here.

working on the photos

paul
Frank and Mina
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Frank and Mina »

Hi Paul.

What we need to know in order to be certain of the event is any number shown after GSAT. The successful one in October 2016 was 18. Sod's law if it broke in the wrong place or never carried a number.

If I get a chance I will go and have a look, although our month here is rapidly coming to an end what with Carnival taking a chunk out of what remains. I'm enjoying this scientific mystery, nevertheless.

Frank
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

unfortunately the numbers are the missing bit (along with whatever else may be left of the craft) !

it definitely has "G-SA......" so i think mystery solved.

paul

Return to “General Questions & Comment”