Handicap accessibility

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Ann-Marie54
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Handicap accessibility

Post by Ann-Marie54 »

Hi. We are heading to Tobago in January for 2 weeks. We have rented a car, because just a 1/2 mile walk for me is very difficult. I was wondering if when we go into Scarborough or other busy areas, is there somewhere to park for disabled patrons? I do have a handicap parking tag, but it probably won't do me any good in Tobago. Thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Handicap accessibility

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ann-Marie

I regret to say that you will find the situation regarding disabled parking very different to what you expect at home (as in most Caribbean destinations) . To be honest, I can't actually remember seeing disabled slots anywhere - but then being able-bodied, perhaps I just haven't noticed them. I strongly suspect that the only dedicated disabled parking will be outside the new government buildings (and even there, only at a push).

However, fear not! You have done the right thing in hiring a car - it is by far the best way to get the most out of your time in Tobago (as long as you remember to drive on the right - sorry left - side of the road :lol: ). Parking in Scarborough can be a nightmare, but as a tourist, I can't think of any reason why you would want to visit Scarborough anyway. The beauty of Tobago is its coast and interior and there you will seldom find that parking is an issue. Just do what the locals do and park anywhere (often in the middle of the road) and nobody will bat an eyelid. Joking aside, you are unlikely to find parking an issue anywhere except Scarborough.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

Like you Steve, something i've not noticed much - maybe because i don't "see" or look for them.

there are certainly two at store bay but i don't recall any others on recent journeys. I suspect that the mall must have reserved some but the car park is so infrequently full it wouldn't matter - drive around to the south side and there is a ramp by the pharmacy which may assist entry although it's all low level even with steps to the main entrance.

will see what i can find today and report back !!

paul
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Good man!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

quick update but i haven't been north of shirvan road today !

RBC - nope. and this may be an issue if RBC is your bank of choice. very limited parking and you need to joust with the launderette and pizza place customers for space.

RBTT - definitely not at pelican plaza. park where you like and shrug off the complaints. other blue machines are better in this respect - suggest the new HQ at the intersection with the highway and the buccoo road for real ease.

milford plaza - nope but no crush for spaces. likewise the collesium

shirvan plaza - nope and very busy at most times of the day. nothing much there anyway so no loss !

pigeon point - dropped in today to check the trailer and it seems that you can drop off no problem at the jetty. there are no parking spaces as such so just do what works !!

Mt irvine bay - nope but easy access to beach from car park. rarely totally full

i doubt that i'll get into scarborough before i head to the UK for a week or two - personally, i wouldn't say it,s a must. drive through and carry on. you won't miss much !!!! if you do visit then i guess the fort will be on your list - drive up fort street and ignore the first car park. head uphill and drive through the fort/hospital (you have no choice, it's the way the road goes) and park on tip of Mt St George, by the lighthouse. this car park will be almost empty and you can check all you need to see from here without having to climb the (very) steep pathway from the new (lower) car park

paul
Ann-Marie54
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Ann-Marie54 »

Thank you so much for all your concerns and replies. I guess if it appears that parking will be a distance away from where we need to be, my husband will drop me off. Sometimes I don't like to do that as I am always worried that my husband remembers correctly where he parked!
PaulMakin
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by PaulMakin »

don't overthink it though - most of the places you may wish to attend will be fine with a drop by their entrance and the driver then going to park.

when shopping remember that pennysavers in carnbee are upgrading their car park and spaces are at a premium. the canaan branch has much better parking and always lots of space the further in to it that you go. entrance is not a long way from anywhere on the site. moreshead's (gourmet foods) is easy to park and only a very short walk to the entrance but not a paved surface

paul

Return to “General Questions & Comment”