Mother - daughter trip help

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
HelenaWG
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Mother - daughter trip help

Post by HelenaWG »

Hello!
I am planning a trip to Tobago with my 14-year old daughter. We will stay for two months, january 15-mars15 2020. Scince i didn´t know anything about Tobago before I have done some research. We are looking at staying in Castara. We want to find a place that is not too crowded with tourists. We want ta have walking distance to the beach (we might not rent a car for the entire stay) and there should also be walking distance to buy groceries. I read somewhere on this site that Castara can be noicy from music-entertainment som nights. So now I want to know if Castara would be a good choice for us or can someone help me with other suggestions?

Best regards

Helena
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Mother - daughter trip help

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Helena

Welcome aboard! =D>

You are in for a real treat and I am confident that both you and your daughter will love Tobago and that you will be sure to return. With two months on the island, you will really get to know the place and the people well, and that will truly enhance the experience.

Your choice of Castara is a good one. Noise is a fact of life in most Caribbean islands. If you are near the sea, you will always have the sound of the waves breaking on the shore. If you're away from the beach, there is the never-ending bird calls. Then, if you are in a village, there will ALWAYS be the sound of music, car horns, dogs barking, cockerels crowing. And yet, you will find nowhere on earth where you can relax better than Tobago. It is a contradiction, I know, and even though I have been visiting the island for almost 60 years, I am still perplexed at this mystery. I live in a wonderfully quiet rural location. Even the slightest man-made noise tends to make me look up in annoyance. Yes, I relish the sounds of Tobago.

Yes, there are the occasional late-night music events from a couple of establishments in the village. They can sometimes go on until the early hours. However, most end before midnight.

Pretty much anywhere in Castara is going to be within walking distance of the beaches and shopping. You certainly won't need to hire a car other than for occasional days out touring the island - something that I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending for two ladies. There is a good car hire service (Taylor's) in Little Bay and they rent cars and SUVs by the day. In fact, Little Bay would be the best choice to stay. The Boathouse Restaurant has a drum music night once a week. That can sometimes go on until after 11pm, but despite my own distaste of noise, I have never been kept awake and actually find it really nice to drift off to the sound of decent Caribbean music. If the property is very close to the beach, the sound of surf breaking is going to drown out most music anyway.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
HelenaWG
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by HelenaWG »

Hello Steve!
Thank you very much for your information!! It was really helpful:-)
/Helena
HelenaWG
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by HelenaWG »

Steve!
Do you have any suggestion for accommodation in Lilltle bay? We need wifi and kitchen.
/Helena
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Helena

The two nicest accommodations in Little Bay are undoubtedly Alibaba's SeaBreeze and The Beach House. I suspect that you will have difficulty booking either of these for two months next year though as they both have very high levels of repeat business. Still, they are the best in Castara, being literally beside the beach.

If you don't mind a short walk up the hill out of Little Bay, two properties worth considering are Castara Villas and Carpe Diem. Both of these are just a 5-minute walk from the beach, but shielded from the louder noises of the village and could be a good choice for you. Full details of all these properties are available in our Accommodation section. If you go to our interactive map (menu: Information > Maps & Regions > Location Map) and scroll and zoom in to Castara, you will be able to see the exact location of every Castara accommodation property and where it is in relation to the beaches, etc.
Steve Wooler
HelenaWG
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by HelenaWG »

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will check those out:-)

/Helena
HelenaWG
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by HelenaWG »

Steve!
Sorry for bothering you again:-/
Do you have any experience of Cottage Mango?
/Helena
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Helena

No, not personally. However, it is owned by 'Taylor' who also owns the best local car rental service. Its a new property, so should be in good condition and I trust and like Taylor, so you will be in good hands. It is on the edge of the village and a much longer (10 minute) walk from the beaches and shops, but at least the location will be very much quieter than more central properties.
Steve Wooler

Return to “General Questions & Comment”