Just back from 12 days in Tobago December 2019

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Mallory
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Just back from 12 days in Tobago December 2019

Post by Mallory »

We arrive in Trinidad on November 29, 2019. It was raining. Flew to Tobago, had stopped raining. Took a taxi to Plantation Beach Villas. We are a very active retired couple who love to travel - based in USA Flew from Charlotte, NC to Miami, Miami to Trinidan via American Airlines. Caribbean Air to Tobago. All went very well, except we did not realize that T and T are in a different time zone. We thought we had 2 hours in Trinidad, when we only had one hour. The next day Sheppy's brought us our rental car to the villa - very professional I must say. Explained the contract, all very straightforward. They do not take AMEX, so cannot use the AMEX insurance we usually get - but we knew this.

We arrived on Nov 29 and left Dec 12, 2019. Weather was spectacular the whole time. We were at Blackrock area. The beach is wonderful, and we swam every day. You really need to go to the end of the beach, where the cliffs are, as it is much calmer, and you will enjoy it. We shopped at PennySaver, the Gourmet Grocer, the 24-hour store (cannot remember the name), and the little shop at the top of the hill next to the Fish Pot. I like the Gourmet Store the best - one of us is from the UK originally, and enjoyed the selection of British foodstuffs, which a lot of is not available in the UK. No fresh milk anywhere. To make half-and-half we bought full cream milk, and bought a small box of cooking cream, and added it to the milk. We had good luck with eggs, bacon, oatmeal, yogurt, cheese, wine, beer, etc. Most of the meat is frozen. Some of the ground meat/mince is a bit strange.

We went to the Fish Pot sever times, The Wave and the Seahorse. All within walking distance from Plantation Villas, even thought we used the rental car. It is after all a bit hilly. Plantation Beach Villas are gorgeous, you will not want to leave. We had a huge veranda, and a partial view of the sea. There is a lovely swimming pool down by the beach, with a beach bar. Very nice. We had a great relaxing time, especially since the weather was kind to us. BTW it started raining when we left, and our first flight was cancelled. No matter, we had plenty of time, and got to Trinidad in good time. Just be prepared.

The cons. Well the roads are deplorable. When I say pot holes - I mean crevasses. We drove up the road past Englishman's Bay, which is really beautiful, but very slow going, and a bit nerve wracking when you meet other cars, with so many holes in the roads. We had a Nissan Tilda - a Jeep would be much better. The restaurant meals are quite expensive - line with going to an upscale restaurant in the US. The food at all the restaurants was excellent. We mostly ate fish and shrimp. Great service too.

There are mosquitoes, so be prepared. Slightly annoying at times. The bird population is very interesting. We are not birdwatchers per se, but we really enjoyed watching them. Loved the chicken population too.

All in all we had a great time. It is unusually quiet there at the moment, a bit like a ghost town, as I think the Thomas Cook bankruptcy has made a big hit on the island. I saw no Germans and only a few Brits. A few Canadians about. There is not much to do for younger people - we are retired so not looking for night life. All in all, we really enjoyed. I would give Plantation Beach Villas a five star rating - they villas are gorgeous, and the staff are the best. The rental car was fine, and Sheppy's took us back to the airport. We also went to Pigeon Point, which was very nice.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Just back from 12 days in Tobago December 2019

Post by Hugh S »

Excellent and informative review! Thanks.

Hugh 8)

Return to “General Questions & Comment”