Banned Users

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Banned Users

Post by Steve Wooler »

Over the past few days, half a dozen forum users have reported receiving warning messages stating that their forum account has been permanently banned from the board. In fact, I received the message myself yesterday. You can imagine my panic as I am the only 'administrator' of the board and so if I can't get into the control panel, we have a real problem. :evil:

My sincere apologies to everyone for the inconvenience - and particularly to those who were immediately worried that their account had been hacked and/or otherwise put to nefarious purpose. NO - your account was NOT hacked, banned or in any way compromised.

In recent days, we have been upgrading our server software. I hadn't appreciated that some of the upgrades would affect the IP address information reported to the website by the server. I have now rectified the problem to ensure that the website receives the correct IP address of the user.

As an additional precaution, I have also completely purged our library of banned IP addresses. So, in theory, nobody can/should be prevented from logging in or accessing the forum. I am sorry that it is necessary to ban IP addresses and server networks, but the fact is that for every genuine forum registration, we receive about a dozen 'bogus' registrations that subsequently turn out to be spammers.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “General Questions & Comment”