myTobago Visitor MEETING Board

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:02 pm

Anyone going to be at RTB (Turtle Beach) between 3 and 17 May?

Anyone going to Sunday School 6 or 13 May and want to say hi to me??

Caragh :P

Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams » Mon May 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Am staying at Turtle Beach 30 June to 14 July with my boyfriend Lee. Anyone out there the same time who fancies meeting up for some roti?

Henry Prempeh

Roti

Post by Henry Prempeh » Fri May 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Nisha Williams wrote:Am staying at Turtle Beach 30 June to 14 July with my boyfriend Lee. Anyone out there the same time who fancies meeting up for some roti?
Hi Nisha,
My wife our two munchkins and I will be at our villa from 30th June for 4 glorious weeks (we hope). It would be great to meet up for a roti, or maybe some doubles from the lass opposite Pizza Boys!
\:D/

Henry

Jolene A

Post by Jolene A » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Hey all, me and my boyfriend will be heading out this Thursday, and will be in Tobago for 2 weeks staying at the Coco Reef if anyone fancies meeting up. It would be nice to meet some fellow travellers and enjoy a rum or two! :P

Jo

Judith Prater

Post by Judith Prater » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi Anyone staying at the Coco Reef Resort between 18th October - 1st November 2007 or have been this time of year

Jonathan Richards

Post by Jonathan Richards » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Judith Prater wrote:Hi Anyone staying at the Coco Reef Resort between 18th October - 1st November 2007 or have been this time of year
Hi Judith, and hello to the board - I've been lurking here for a while now!

We shall be arriving just as you are leaving, on the 1st November 2007 for a fortnight at the Coco Reef. It's our first visit to Tobago (and my first visit to the Caribbean anywhere) so I'm really grateful for all the information shared here. It's a great resource, and a great asset to Tobago. Let me know if there's anyone else escaping from the gloom of an English November.

Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi Jonathan

Welcome aboard! Its always great to convert a lurker. :lol:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Judith Prater

Post by Judith Prater » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi Jonathen,

Yes it is a brilliant website I am totally addicted, have also learnt lots of very useful info which I am sure will go a long way to making that 'perfect holiday'.

Have a lovely time

Jude

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy
Cornwall

Post by David Watkins » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:17 am

Is 'lurker' a new category? :roll:

Steve Wooler
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:23 am

Hi David

The term refers to users who visit forums on a regular or frequent basis but who do not post messages or contribute to the discussions. Our forum attracts an average of more than 1200 human lurkers per day - although its impossible to accurately tell how many of these are returning readers as opposed to first timers.

Today seems to be my date for quoting Wikipedia...
The term dates back to the mid-1980s, when most people did not have access to the Internet, but used BBS chat rooms and message boards instead.

Because BBSs were often accessed by a single phone line (frequently in someone's home), there was an expectation that all who used a bulletin board would contribute to its content by uploading files and posting comments. Lurkers were viewed negatively, and might be barred from access by the sysop, if they did not contribute anything but kept the phone line tied up for extended periods.

Many Internet communities advise newbies to lurk for some time to get a feel for the specific culture and etiquette of the community, lest they make an inappropriate or redundant comment, ask a Frequently Asked Question, or incite a flame war. This leads to the tongue-in-cheek command to "lurk more". The verb to "de-lurk" means to start contributing actively to a community having been a lurker previously.

There are also some who lurk on a forum habitually, and rarely, if ever, contribute. It is generally difficult to guess how many such lurkers are present, due to their silence.
The term is no longer derogatory. As Wikipedia says, users are recommended/advised to lurk and get the "feel" of a board for some time before diving in and posting. Think how often - and how exaperating it is for the regulars - when someone barges straight in, asking the most obvious questions, the answers to which would have been found with less than a minute or two's searching through the main menus, or which have been answered hundreds of times by forum members.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler

Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Great Britain

Post by Tony G » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:31 am

I used to be a lurker.

Tony

Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Brian Taylor » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:24 am

are you going to open a group for "lurkers anonymous" now...
:wink:

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy
Cornwall

Post by David Watkins » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Steph,good idea,however might we be plagued with such as the(shortened for form of Miss Merline?).Heavens forbid!!!
Am on da way woman!!!!!!

Carole Ward

Post by Carole Ward » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:13 pm

I lurked for a while too, but couldn't resist!! I'm still discovering things on this forum though, there is so much to read.

So have just discovered this meeting board which is great, well me and my boyfriend will be in Tobago from 17th January for 2 weeks, staying in Castara, I know David and Tony will be there, so hope to meet you both and Steph of course.

Anyone else going to be there??

Carole :D

Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru
Canada

admitted lurker

Post by Jennifer C » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:47 pm

I will admit that I am 'lurker' and have essentially been one since 2005 :lol: . However I have learned so much in that time that I feel part of the community.

Steve Wooler
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi Jennifer

With 25 posts to your credit, you are far from a 'lurker' - although like most forum members, you probably started off as a lurking but not posting.
Steve Wooler

Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru
Canada

off today

Post by Jennifer C » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Whew! Thank goodness I no longer qualify as a 'lurker'.
Wish me luck I am off today to catch my flight to Tobago. Wave hello if you see me, I will be the 'white girl' (village title, not mine :lol: )out and about Roxborough area for the next couple of weeks.

Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Brian Taylor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 pm

now you got me courious...where are you atying...went straight to the accommodation listing and did not find any place in and around roxborough... :wink:
have a great time anyway
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com

Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Great Britain

Post by Tony G » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:07 am

Hi Carole

I see that we can add Mike to the list too.

Tony

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyandjanette

Carole Ward

Post by Carole Ward » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:36 pm

Oh yes ... Mike oh he of the fishing trip you mean ....

I can feel a party coming on! We arrive on Thursday 17th and would like to go to Sunday School that first weekend if anyone fancies it, be nice to go with some peeps that know their way about etc!

:)

Return to “General Questions & Comment”