ATM in Castara

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
AHStewart

ATM in Castara

Post by AHStewart »

Has anyone got an update re the new ATM.
Is it complete and up & running (wishfull thinking!!)
Cheers, only 12 days to go
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: ATM in Castara

Post by Brian Taylor »

it has a shiny new sign up and glass doors, but as far as I know that's about it :wink:
someone closer to "dongtong castara" to check?
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

When we left on January 91th it was still 'on a promise'. Talking to a member of the village council, he was trying to push for the completion of the ATM both as an asset to the village and to visitors. He was hoping that Bruce Taylor would get in at the elections but alas he did not. CJR
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

Update
The new ATM is now in position and as I was advised by a bank employee it is now working but does not have any money in it (honest thats what he said)
I think it will have some today so I will hope to be the first forum user who gets some cash before I fly home tonight.
Regards
Paul
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

isn't it exiting???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

When we left Castara a couple of days ago, the message in the ATM window continued to say "Temporarily Out Of Service"
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi all,

I wonder if the ATM will (already or still) have money when I go there in March but will stay save and 'buy' some money at the airport by arrival. :)
Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

it appears that the machine only works with local linx cards.... :evil: how incredible is that. no idea if that's just for the beginning or sheer stupidity on the banks part... :shock:
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

As ATM´s must be loaded with cash and because Castara isn´t around the corner of Scarborough, is it possible that the bank deside this? An ATM mostly for locals?
If every visitor in Castara, nearby or just passing the area were using this ATM, it might get empty quite quickly?
Ronald
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Or is it a First Citizens ATM?I've always had trouble with their machines,but Big Blue,Scotia and RBTT no problems.
David
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

First Citizens? If I remember right, there´s a First Citizens in Canaan since some years, I went there to get some money and my International Visa Card didn´t work into their machine at that time.
The bank did know about the problem and were "working on it" as they told me. Maybe it´s so in Castara too?
Ronald
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

yup! first citizen! Ithey might know but I doubt that they "work on it"... maybe if every tourist who stays in castara and goes to town drops by in their branch and compains... :lol:
I now do remember that even in their big branch in scarborough I could not get money with credit card and had to shove the baby all over town to check the next banks... was not the best decision (who ever makes that) to give first citizens the spot in castara.... :(
still holding the hope up
steph
Elspeth F
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Elspeth F »

Hi there, can anyone clarify for me if the ATM in Castara is now fully functioning, we are staying there for three weeks from 30th September?
Also could someone clarify for me, do we have to get US dollars in England and then exchange to US dollars in Tobago or are both US and Tobagon dollars acceptable currency everywhere in Tobago?
Many thanks and this is a very useful resource :D
Elly
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Elly

I will leave someone else to answer about the ATM in Castara, because local knowledge will be more up to date than my info.

No - do not change Sterling into US and then into TT - you'll lose a bomb. My advise would be to get a couple of hundred pounds worth of TT$ from your local bank, here in the UK. Then, use the ATM in Castara and/or elsewhere in Tobago to 'top up'. However - a lot depends upon which credit card you use. It only works out economically if you have a card that does not rip you off in charges/commission for overseas cash withdrawals AND, more importantly, if you have a zero balance on the card and can pay it off at the end of the month, so that you are not paying interest. Failing a suitable credit/debit card, then I would take Travellers Cheques - although you will need to cash them at a bank in Scarborough. Yes, US$ will be accepted throughout Tobago, but then Sterling will in most places. Either way, you will not get a good rate so why throw money away?
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

the cash machine in castara works as long as it got money in it. it does take visa and master withPIN as far as i know and not EC card as some other machines on the island do. hope that helps
sunny greetings
stephanie
Elspeth F
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Elspeth F »

Thank you Steve and Brian, that is most helpful :D
Steve Bond
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Steve Bond »

Its probably too late to be useful but........................ Yes, the ATM in Castara is in place. However it is not reliable. It failed to give me back my card when it said 'Please remove your card' (my account was fine.) I later found 3 others who had lost their card. Opinions differed on what to do, but we went into Scarborough after being told that it would take 3 working days to recover, and visited First Citizens Bank. We were then told that would be sent to Trini at which point I called UK and cancelled the card. Beware, also don't forget to take the lost/stolen number for your home country! Incidently the ATMs in Charlotteville & Roxborough were reliable - as they were 3 years ago.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: 1st Citizen Bank of Frustration and Insults

Post by Hugh S »

Not about ATM's but about 1st Citizens. If you ever want to test your patience to the limit open an account at the Scarborough branch and then get in line. Watch all the "friends" and big shots walk past you and then when you do get to the front of the line have them tell you rudely to start over in another, longer line. :x :x :x

Then take your money and find a better bank. I chose Republic because they have three branches including the one at the airport. A lot less trouble.

Hugh 8)
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

About 1st Citizens, I tried the one in Canaan without luck, and the staff inside did know very well that mostly foreign cards didn´t work there.
But the machine at the car park at the Airport, Republic´s at the Airport and that machine nearby the loundry shop does work well, so does the one at the Penny Savers in Canaan.
Ronald
Dave Park

Post by Dave Park »

I tried that *** machine 3 times in April this year without any luck. I have never had a problem with the RBTT ATM's. I frankly don't care whether it's that location or Citizen that is the problem.

Does anyone know if RBTT is going to put an ATM in Castara on some other nearby location anytime soon?

Dave Park

Return to “General Questions & Comment”