Wedding in Tobago?

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Karen Ahamad

Wedding in Tobago?

Post by Karen Ahamad »

Hi, my parents are both Trini and i have always wanted to return and get married in tobago...My BF just proposed and I was thinking to get married in late oct/ early november....(is this a good time - post diwali, pre holiday so lower cost flights for my guests - but will the island be deserted?) I expect about 50 people to attend (75 maximum) and am looking for recommendations as to hotel and location. Is it possible to have one location for both the wedding and the reception meal? what would you recommend? I would prefer simple local foods - i don't want over easy eggs for breakfast - just some bake and shark :) Any advice as to costs?

My friends are from all over the world and i would like them to have a lovely visit to Tobago but i also want them to be safe. many of the recent comments on Tobago have given me pause for concern - athough i know there are no garauntees but any advise would be greatly appreciated :D
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Wedding in Tobago?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Karen

Welcome aboard - and congratulations on your engagement. :D

It would be nice and quiet in October/November, but it is towards the end of the wet season so might not be the wisest time if you want the ceremony outside. Many of the large hotels have facilities that would cope with both the ceremony and meal for a party of that size - but at a cost; and simple local food probably wouldn't be on the menu. Hopefully some locally-based readers might be able to suggest some alternatives in smaller places. I suspect, however, that your best bet would be to make a preliminary trip out there - or have a Trini family member pop over on your behalf - and investigate things and find somewhere appropriate.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Karen,

If you want it all arranged for you, you could do worse than contact Marie at Tobago Weddings. She gets lots of good reviews, so although I've not had any personal dealings with her, I'm fairly sure she'd be a good starting point for you.

There are a few people on the island that I could recommend as far as catering goes, and one, in particular springs to mind. Jackie at Mount Irvine (green hut in the middle next to the car park!) makes THE best Roti (in my humble opinion!), and I know she also does potato pies, bakes, etc. I've no idea how much they'd be, but I'd be tempted to try out a few places at the beginning of my holiday, find one that I particularly liked and ask them to do it! If you want something put in place before you actually come here, as Steve says, it's probably an idea to get a family member to come and check it out for you!

Lisa.
Karen Ahamad

Post by Karen Ahamad »

Lisa,
Thank you for the suggestions. I have contacted several of the hotels for pricing and you are correct - the prices are quite high - so high in fact that i could have a wedding in new york city for the same cost! Given, i am looking at the higher end hotels on the island but one is asking $90 pp for dinner alone and the bar, venue decorations, appetizers/canapes are all additonal as well as additonal rental charges for extra seating (over 15 people) tent rental etc. there is also a $1000 US charge for the services of an in house planner, and a 'location fee' of $1000.(and decorations are all additional for the location)
This is all in addition to the cost of the hotel rooms for the night which are running $100-$150 per person with minimum stays enforced. It all just seems a bit unreasonable. Is this the norm when dealing with the bigger 'resort' hotels in tobago? I had thought this would be the way to go as
1. they could provide an all inclusive service
2. it would be big enough for my reception (60-75 people)
3. all my overseas guests could stay at the same place
4. i am not in tobago to plan all the details
but given the economic times... this seems ridiculous. Especially as it now i may have to shift my date till January which will up the flight and hotel costs for my guests. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:) I may just have to suck it up and pay as this has been my dream since childhood but...

PS - not trying to be negative, just hoping for some suggestions - is this type of thing negotiable??
I am planning to come down to tobago in may/june to check out the hotels and finalize a date and cost and i have to admit - in the end, we will select the location based upon the people we meet and our confidence in their team:)
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Karen,

It might be an idea to contact Marie at Tobago Weddings when you're here in May. I'm sure she can give you some great ideas.

I'd have thought that there were ways to cut the cost without it being obvious. My younger sister got married right on the beach, which needed NO frills or anything. Against the backdrop of the sea at Arnos Vale bay, there was NOTHING extra that could have been added which would have made the setting any more spectacular. Only she and her bridesmaid had small bouquets of fresh flowers, and the bridesmaid (my daughter!), had flowers plaited into her hair, which looked beautiful. They married at about 4pm, from memory. From there, we went up to the hotel for drinks on the patio (by the time the ceremony had finished, it was about 5pm, then about another 30 mins for photos), and then to the reception at Arnos Vale Waterwheel, for a buffet dinner at about 7pm. I'd never been there during the evening, and it was lit with fairy lights - really beautiful and a great aura. The food, to be fair, wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either, and no-one really cared! It was more about the ambiance! The whole thing came to much less than getting married elsewhere would have cost, for sure.

Another option for evening meals would be The Seahorse, which, I think, has the best ambiance on the island, bar none. I've eaten at The Seahorse at least 10 times since I've been here, (it's my absolute favourite on the island), and I've NEVER had a bad meal there. It's another place I'd suggest for you to check out in May. I know it's not everyones' favourite, but it's mine (and no, I'm not on commission.... sadly!!). Obviously there are certain costs that you can't avoid but the actual cost of the day itself, shouldn't be prohibitive. It'll be the family and friends around you and the place and memories of the day that will make it a fantastic wedding!

Blimey - I almost sound like an old romantic... I shall stop immediately! It's completely out of character!! :lol:

Lisa.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Karen

No, I don't think you will find the large resorts particularly negotiable on this. To be honest, they are not over-keen on large parties "taking over" the hotel and upsetting the balance for the other guests and, if you holiday was taking place during the high season (mid-November to mid-April with the peak in January to March), then they would be pretty full and only do it for top dollar.

Lisa is absolutely right - contact Marie at Tobago Weddings (www.TobagoWeddings.com). How many guests require accommodation? There are several villa developments, or groups of private villas that could prove a far more suitable choice for such an event.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Karen,I have been trying to think of somewhere that might be suitable,and themembered Rovanels Resort Crown Point.I have stayed there once and it is beautiful.It has about 30 rooms beautiful gardens a swimming pool.Have look at it.It is listed in Accommodation above.
David
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

we had some not so small weddings in castara already. if you book a while in advance you can get quite some beds in dirfferent places not too far from each other. the last wedding that I know of had people on every end of the village, which can be a plus...maybe not everyone wants to stay together :wink: they had a few taxi rides up the hill from the beach now and then (when the rum punch on the beach was too good or they were just tired... that can easily be arranged buy any restaurant or guesthouse or tour operator...
just a suggestion
all the best wherever you get married anyway. remember: it is about two people having the day of their lives and some others to share it :D
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com

Return to “General Questions & Comment”