Present sending

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Present sending

Post by SandraK »

Anyone know the best carrier to use ?

Have not been able to find a sure fire method as yet and would like the gifts I send to actually arrive.

Correction - they probably do arrive but are then somehow "lost".
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Present sending

Post by Ronald »

If I´m sending an important box, than I always use DHL as they has own flights and own staff, which deliver the box directly to the persons address in Tobago.

Normally boxes sent via the Post sometimes totally dissapear, but so far I haven´t lost any boxes to Tobago via the Post. But if that happens, one is supposed to be able to track down wher the box is. But you simply doesn´t get any answer from TT Post Service, when someone in Europe try to find out where the box is.
A member in UK told me once, "we can track down from any country in Europe via England to T&T, but when we ask T&T about the box, we never get an answer".

It for sure cost more to send it via DHL, but the box will arrive safe. If DHL get the box on day 1, the box will be delivered in Tobago on day number 4. But they doesn´t deliver during wekends, so if someone go to DHL on a Friday, day 4 will be on Thursday.

Ronald
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Sandra,

there is no way around a courier service.
I personally prefer UPS over all the others. They seem to be the cheapest, especially from Europe, and
by far the fastest here in T&T. I am not happy with DHL anymore. FEDEX is kind of mediocre. TNT is represented
by TTPOST here in the country, which is not the worst idea to use for Christmas gift packages.
TNT tends to be a bit slow-ish, but i don't think that really matters for your purpose.
For Tobago TNT may even be the best choice as they transport the mail on the same mail truck with TTPOST everyday to Tobago.
Make sure that your gifts are not subject to customs duty and VAT. That could spoil the holidays of the recipients,
especially when using TNT, because the package may get stuck in Piarco Airport Trinidad.
UPS and FEDEX are the only services dealing with it properly, but they bring the package then together with a Duty/VAT/handling charges bill, which the recipient will have to pay.

Good Luck & Cheers,

Andy
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Andy

I agree with you about UPS, in fact I´d write wrong! I´m using UPS always as they has their own flights and own cars when they deliver! Sory, sorry, my fault, some were talking about ´DHL at work so that´s why my fingers did write wrong.
But the cost for sending a box with UPS is of course MUCH higher compared with normally Post, at least from Sweden.
Ronald
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by SandraK »

Andy

Many thanks, will follow your advice.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”