Want to bring gifts for local school - any suggestions?

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
OrianaWilmott
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Want to bring gifts for local school - any suggestions?

Post by OrianaWilmott »

Hi,
My husband and I are coming to Tobago for the first time. We are staying in Castara. I work for a charity 'The Great Football Giveaway' which takes footballs to kids in Africa, and in that spirit we like to bring something to the local primary school wherever we travel. Does anyone know what they are short of, or have a contact there? Has to be things we can fit in our luggage of course, like one or two footballs, art supplies, paper and pens, reading books - whatever is needed.

thanks for your help,

Oriana
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Want to bring gifts for local school - any suggestions?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Oriana

Welcome aboard! :D

What a lovely thought. Bearing in mind that Trinidad & Tobago is a 'developing' nation, rather than a third-world economy, and knowing how fiercly proud Tobagonians are, I am slightly at a loss to know exactly what to suggest to ensure that it will be taken as the generous and considerate gesture I know you intend it to be. Their schools do lack resources (what UK school can't say the same?) and I'm sure it will be very much appreciated.

My suggestion would be to contact Ancle George at the Naturalist Beach Resort (email [email protected]). Mention that I suggested you do so. He's very involved in community projects and the best person in the village to discuss this with.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
OrianaWilmott
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by OrianaWilmott »

Thank you!
SandraK
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by SandraK »

Orianna
Agree with every word Steve has said.
Although I appreciate your altruism - could be taken totally the wrong way. Ancle we have known for a few years now, he is a great source of knowledge and definitely the way to go .
Sure you will have a great time.
Jennifer C
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Jennifer C »

Hello Oriana,
Another option is to donate your time. People will rarely turn down a helping hand. When my parents were in Castara this time last year my father noticed that a new playground set was being put in at the local elementary school (if I remember correctly it was equipment donated from Alberta, Canada). So my father volunteered his time to help put the equipment together (he is good with that kind of work). My parents were invited to go to the "opening ceremony" for the playground. It was one the highlights of their trip to get involved with the community. So maybe Ancle can suggest a project for you? Good luck and have a great time in Tobago.
OrianaWilmott
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by OrianaWilmott »

Thanks for the suggestions. I certainly don't want to cause any offence, so will have a think about what I can offer instead.

Oriana

Return to “General Questions & Comment”