First timers to Tobago! Need Advice!

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
emilymferrell
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

First timers to Tobago! Need Advice!

Post by emilymferrell »

Hi everyone! I've really loved the site so far! Soooo much info, I need a chart to organize all I've learned! I did have some questions. My fiance and I are thinking of going to Tobago in late June for our honeymoon. We are young and active, are interested in the rain forests, culture, beaches, snorkeling, hiking and overall new experiences. We don't want to do the "all inclusive" thing, it's just not our thing, we are more interested in somewhere basic that has a lovely view and nice people. What do you suggest for us?! On a final note, I have been reading some unsettling articles that mention the indifference to tourists that some have experienced in Tobago. I didn't get that feel at all through this site but wanted to ask the experts what their experience has been. We don't need to be cooed over the whole time but we aren't rolling in the money so this vacation is going to be special, you know what I mean? We don't get to do this sort of thing often!
Thanks a ton for any and all advice and tips and recommendations!
Alex Douglas
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Re: First timers to Tobago! Need Advice!

Post by Alex Douglas »

Hello and welcome. While I'm not an expert I would recommend a guest house for your stay, I find them more relaxed and intimate. On this site you can find many sound reviews for guest houses. I stayed at Birdie's Nest in the village of Black Rock in February of this year,and I was pleased with the accommodations and service.

It also depends on the part of the island you would like to stay. I like the village of Castara . I drove through on this visit and plan to stay there on my next visit. It is said to be very relaxed and it is very beautiful. Crime is every where and can happen at any time.Just exercise caution and common sense where ever you go , most people are friendly but you will find the occasional bad apple.

I did the snorkeling and glass bottom boat at Buccoo Reef and I loved it . I'm sure the experts will soon be giving you tons of great advice and recommendations . Have fun .
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

Hi Emily,
Just a suggestion but ake a look at Kariwak Village which is centrally located at Crown Point close to Store Bay beaches(5 min walk) and Pigeon Point (20 min walk) and all the restaurants, bars etc. Despite its location it feels like a secluded tropical paradise inside. Also, whilst there is no sea view the place has beautiful tropical gardens with a secluded jacuzzi tucked away in the extensive gardens. There are also hammocks to relax in and a nice swimming pool. The service is amazing and you will love the staff and the food, all organic (most vegetables and herbs grown on site) is absolutely delicious. The rooms are not luxurious but very clean and comfortable and located amongst tropical plants and trees in the swimming pool area or in the gardens. We stayed in February and loved it. There was a mix of people staying from all over the world, mostly couples, young and older. Tobago is a small island and its very easy to get about and see places like Castara, rain forest, Little Tobago etc. The majority of local people are really friendly particularly if you open up to them and smile, say hello etc. Don't worry too much about the reports of crime. We have been twice to Tobago and never felt at risk at anytime. It really is no different to anywhere else in the world these days. Its a fantastic island to which we will always return.
GervaisAlkins

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hi,
I would have to agree the person who recommended staying in Birdie's House. although I'm pretty sure they'll be booked. You can check Duke's GuestHouse which is right next door. This is in the village of Black Rock and this is a great place for young people. There's good snorkeling close in Mt Irvine plus people do surf lessons there. Good hiking in the hills of Courland, and the Grafton Bird Sanctuary is a stone throw away.
The really really big plus about Black Rock is the close proximty to Turtle Beach which is the number one nesting site for Leatherback seaturtles in Tobago. Leatherbacks are the largest and second deepest diving of all the marine sea turtles in the world and these guesthouses in Black Rock are located on the beach! If you contact SOS Tobago (the local sea turtle conservation group) they can help you with further info. Birdie's Nest though is usually rented by SOS Tobago volunteers in June but if you ask the owner,who's name is 'Prince', he should be helpful as usual.
Have a great time here!
emilymferrell
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by emilymferrell »

WOW! You guys and this site are just awesome! Keep the info coming! Thanks so much!

Return to “General Questions & Comment”