Guest Report

47 room apartment timeshare resort located at Sandy Point (listing)
Bill Dowling

Guest Report

Post by Bill Dowling »

The property is very nice and the units quite well equipt. There were two disappointments; the management discourages swimming at the on site beach because of underwater rocks/debry, but it is a pretty place to relax and read, a shuttle to local public beaches is available.

The second disappointment is the restaurant. We had dinner there the first night and were treated to warmed over food (not all that warm) served indifferently in a marginally clean facility. It was the worst meal of the week but cost far more than much better local restaurants (Coco's or Crown Point Hotel). We found not a single international guest who was satisfied with the quality nor any T&T guest who would tolerate the price. The local street food is better. Hopefully it will burn down.
Kevin Pallant
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: Guest Report

Post by Kevin Pallant »

Dear Bill,

I enjoyed reading your frank review till I got to the last sentence which is a total disgrace and is an abuse of the ethos of this website and also humanity. We all have our likes and dislikes of the island we all adore and should appreciate the opportunity to openly discuss them here.

To wish that someones premises burns down is abhorent. I'm assuming you wish anyone who stays there to get hurt also? To think such evil thoughts is one thing, but to put them on public view I find totally unbelievable.

Yours sincerely.

Disgusted of Chippenham.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

'Evening Kevin

May I apologise to all readers who have read this post. Sadly, I have been out of the office all day and am only now catching up on forum posts. Under normal circumstances I would have censored this post. There doesn't seem much point in doing so now, as so many people have read the post and Kevin's reply cites the offending sentence, but I certainly condemn his views. [-X
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hmmm ... I admit it reads like a rather bizarre and contradictory post ... I am not sure that Mr Dowling could have mean't (either way) what it seems he said.

He starts out saying that the property is very nice ... then a few complaints about the food ... his last comments imply that he want's the place burned down :shock: ?

The response is understandable ... because, despite searching for a grammatical error in the original post, it does not make sense.

Please could we give Mr Dowling a chance to clarify his comments or admit he has made a mistake ... you don't burn down nice places that you don't like do you? ... Mr Dowling?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Jack Hargreaves
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Jack Hargreaves »

Hello all,
I seem to remember, years ago, some American friends using the "offending" phrase as a figure of speech. In the same way that we would say " I could kill for" ( say a cup of coffee).
When I read the review the final sentence made me smile. I read the review outloud to my partner, she burst out laughing.
Did'nt give us a problem.
Maybe Bill B could confirm my theory.
Jack.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jack

Thanks for pointing that out. You could be right because the more I read the post, the more I think that final sentence doesn't go with the rest of the post. I have therefore edited my own response whilst we get confirmation of this. Over to you Bill B.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Post deleted
Last edited by Hugh S on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Pallant
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kevin Pallant »

Hi again all,

My toys are safely back in the pram today!!

I do have quite a few American friends and I have never heard that phrase as a figure of speech hence my disgust. If someone can confirm is is an acceptable form of speech for our friends over the pond I will happily delete my comments in my previous post and remember it for future reference.

Regards.

Slightly happier of Chippenham.
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Greetings from the appointed expert on all things American,

I can only take his comment literally, that he hopes the restaurant will burn down. As far as I'm concerned Steve you can edit your post back to it's original comment of referring to him as a moron =D>

When we stayed at Sandy Point almost two years ago we found the family running the restaurant to be pleasant and the conditions clean and sanitary. This is an open air facility on the water front so its impossible to completely avoid dust and wind blown debris from settling in. I agree that the food was only average, the choices were limited, and the price was higher than other places. But considering that due to the location of the resort, and the fact that their only clientele were guests at a relatively small time share resort (where a lot of guests did their own cooking), the only way to make a profit would be to charge higher prices. This is a trade off one must make for having the convenience of not having to go out to dinner.

Bill 8)

P.S. I didn't consider Steves original comment as condemnation of an entire nation but just of one poor representative of it.
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I am confused ... I was rather hoping that Mr Dowling had made an expression of speech or something similar that we don't understand until Bill, our US Representative of Speech, blew that theory away.

I do hope Mr Dowling can come back to explain himself.

Regards
Paul Tallet
John Martyr
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by John Martyr »

Hi All,
It's amazing the amount of discussion that sentence has generated. We want to believe that Bill meant no real offense, so non taken. One must always be mindful of comments that may be humor in one culture and revolting in another. We have taken serious note however of his comments and we do plan to raise those concerns with the operator of the restaurant. Thank you Bill for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us on this forum.
John Martyr
GM
John Martyr
Sandy Point Beach Club
www.sandypointbeachclub.com
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Hello John,

I assume that the first Bill you refer to is the original poster and the second one is me.

It's good to see you read, respond to and act upon reviews of your resort. My wife and I have been to Sandy Point twice on RCI exchanges and have already booked a third trip for March 2010 so it's quite obvious that we enjoy your resort.

Bill 8)
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
John Martyr
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by John Martyr »

Hi Bill,
I actually meant Bills:lol: Yes, I do read and act upon all post related to SPBC on this forum even if a reply is not posted. This web site has become the most important aspect of our online exposure and is treated as such. We certainly look forward to your visit next year.
John
John Martyr
Sandy Point Beach Club
www.sandypointbeachclub.com
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Top Marks John

It's nice to see that you are looking for feedback ... that is what is most reassuring to visitors such as myself.

I am planning a visit this January (yet to be confirmed). If I come, I will seek you out and sample your cuisine for myself.

Post's like those of Mr Dowling's draw nothing but intrigue ... it's all positive.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Sandy Point Beach Club”