Where 2 Stay

25 self-contained 2* apartment hotel at Sandy Point (listing)
Esme

Where 2 Stay

Post by Esme »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 20 March 2003

we want to book our accommodation. Can't decide between Sandy Point Village or Toucan Inn. I am veering towards Toucan Inn. We want fairly easy access to good beach, friendly hotel people, and I want a good dive centre (1st time scuba!!). We will be hiring a car but our choice is between these two hotels as we are coming with Kuoni. I have also read very good things about Bonkers restaurant and have heard that sandy point staff are miserable. Can anyone help me out here?! Thank you! Esme
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Where 2 Stay

Post by Steve Wooler »

I was most surprised to learn that Kuoni were offering Sandy Point Beach Club. Its a very strange place that seems to have an identity crisis. Half of it is time-share (the only time-share on Tobago) and half a very basic 2* hotel. They say the two halves aren't connected and are run as different companies. I've read some reasonably positive reports in other travel guides, but have also received less than satisfactory reports personally. Yes, I can confirm that reports do talk of an 'attitude' problem with the staff and management, although I do believe that senior management has changed recently. This may or may not resolve the issue.

The Toucan Inn is another kettle of fish altogether. It has always been a well run and managed hotel and their restaurant "Bonkers" has long been extremely popular. It's absolutely no contest as far as I'm concerned.

The only fly in the ointment is location. Sandy Point Village is on the coast - although the beach immediately outside is virtually unusable and its a 5-6 minute walk to Store Bay. Toucan Inn is not on the coast and must be a 10-15 minute walk from the nearest beach - Store Bay again. As you're hiring a car, these distances are neither here nor there. Definitely Toucan Inn! I doubt whether either hotel will have in-house dive facilities, but there are good facilities in Pigeon Point Road - a five minute drive from either hotel.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Esme

Where 2 Stay

Post by Esme »

thanks for the reply Steve! Toucan Inn it is then!! I've just looked in Kuoni brochure and it says Sandy Point Village (44 rooms). Don't know if that helps clarify things. 1st time to Tobago (and the Caribbean!) and can't wait! Fantastic website this is by the way. Thanks again and if anyone else wants to reply please do!! Esme
John Martyr
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Where 2 Stay

Post by John Martyr »

Hi Steve,

I am a regular reader of your very informative site and discussion forum, and would like to clarify matters raised on your forum regularly about Sandy Point Beach Club.

I am the Manager of Sandy Point Beach Club, which is primarily a timeshare resort (and the only one on the island). We have been affiliated with Resort Condominiums International (RCI) for over 20 years, with and RID rating (Resort of International Distinction). The compound on which we are situated resembles and is adjacent to Sandy Point Villiage and its other variants, Sandy Point Hotel, Sandy Point Condohotel, just to name a few. There is not a business or other type of relationship with the Hotel except that out of the 44 apartments on the compond, 10 are owned by Sandy Point Village and are used as a reserve or overflow.

The three hot tubs or jacuzzis, mini mart, chip and put golf, sauna and other amenities mentioned is some articles are all situated on the Sandy Point Beach Club compound and are managed by its management company. There are five other privately owned apartments on the compond which are rented to visitors by the individual owners.

I know it's very confusing, but we have been suffering, and continue to suffer as a result of some of the comments made by hotel guests who have stayed at Sandy Point Village.

I have previously extended an invitation to you to visit our resort and to develop you own opinion, and now do so again. You may also compare the comments made by vistors to both facilities, expressed on http://www.wheretostay.com , which gives and idea of the difference. Feel free to seek any further information you may require.

Keep up the good work on your website.

John
John Martyr
Sandy Point Beach Club
www.sandypointbeachclub.com
Sharon

Where 2 Stay

Post by Sharon »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 24 March 2003

I can assure you that Sandy Point Village and Sandy Point Beach Club are two entirely different places. We have visited the Beach Club twice through timeshare exchange and it is an absolutely wonderful place with the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever encountered. The accomodations are nice, as are the guests we have met. During a recent visit, family and friends stayed at the neighboring Sandy Point Village because no room was available at the Beach Club. While the rooms were nice, the staff was aloof, unhelpful and sometimes rude. They spent all the time over at the Beach Club with us.
Esme

Where 2 Stay

Post by Esme »

Thanks Steve for your reply. That settles it then!! I have just looked in Kuoni brochure and it is Sandy Point Village with 44 rooms. Don't know if that helps!! I did try sending another message about an hour ago, so if this appears twice that's why!! Would be glad to hear anyone else's opinion! Ta again and fantastic website! Esme
EmilyK

Thanks for clarifying!

Post by EmilyK »

I would like to thank John for clarifying the rumored relationship, or lack thereof between Sandy Point Village and Sandy Point Beach Club.
I have been checking this site for some positive feedback on the Beach Club as we booked our honeymoon there. It's only 2 weeks away and I feel very relieved to have read John's post that my new hubby and I will be in trusted hands. Steve, your website is the reason we chose Tobago, it's fabulous and I promise to post reviews upon returning.
Steve Payne

Sandy Point Staff Miserable?

Post by Steve Payne »

In my recent stay at Sandy Point it was not my experience that the staff was miserable. Your treat,ment may vary from one staff person to the next, but for the most part my family and I were very pleaqsed with the treatment we received at Sandy Point.

I do not know Toucan Inn. The beachin front of Sandy Point was not a good beach forswimming as there are rocks at mid-low tide. However, there is a lovely public beach at Crown Point that is an easy walk from Sandy Point.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Just to clarify things for Emily and others, can I please trouble you to clarify whether your comments refer to staff attitude at Sandy Point Beach Club or Sandy Point Village.

You just posted a message in the Sandy Point Beach Club forum, providing a very useful report on your stay there. Staff attitude at the Beach Club is generally acknowledged to be good. However, this forum refers to the Sandy Point Village - a completely separate and unconnected apartment hotel, which happens to be adjacent to the Beach Club.

Your post only refers to the "Sandy Point". As you were staying at the Beach Club timeshare, confirmation that your post above does actual refer to the Village and not the Beach Club would be helpful. Sorry to be pedantic, but the similarity of name and location of these two establishments does cause some confusion and I am keen to always ensure that posts are in the correct forum – particularly as the Beach Club is generally perceived to be a good establishment, whilst the Village is not.
Steve Wooler
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

sandy point village, may 03

Post by Paul Makin »

hi

we stayed at sp village in may 03 and had no probs. mind you, we spent most of our time out and about, returning to cook, sleep or occasionally use the pool etc. cant comment on staff other than housekeeping (who were great) and happy hour barkeep (ditto)

fwiw (ref original post) i can recommend frontier divers, who are at the sp beach club

regards
paul
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Reference my query to Steve Payne above, Steve has been in touch with me by email today and has confirmed that he stayed at the Sandy Point Beach Club - not the Village - and that his comments re staff attitude were in reference to the staff at the Beach Club, so please ignore the post when considering the Sandy Point Village accommodation.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Sandy Point Village”