Review of Kariwak

24 room 3* hotel and restaurant located in Crown Point (listing)
Syndy

Review of Kariwak

Post by Syndy »

I had the pleasure of staying here in June of 2004:

Location:Although not on the beach, it is easy walking distance to Store Bay and to the main road which takes you into town or to Pigeon Point. Airport noise was very mininmal, I only noticed one small plane while at the pool one day. I also like what they have done with a small space, you certainly feel as if you are in a secluded location, especially when you venture to other side of the property where the Ajoupa's, hammocks, and jaccuzi are. A winding garden path leads you to tranquilty and peace , even pass a nice herb garden.

Rooms:We had a poolside room which shared half of the rondavel; the huts are quite cute and well insulated. The room was very clean, well maintained though I did not care for the wooden slats on the wall behind the bed, but I did like the chinese lantern light fixture. The bathroom is compact with shower and enclosed toilet. The room is somewhat small overall, but nice; I had two complaints though; the a/c which had no remote and had to be adjusted manually and the room did not have enough lighting.

On a side note, if you want very private rooms ask for a Garden Room which is on the other side of the restaurant; they are very secluded, bigger than the poolside room and newer in my opinion as we had a look at one of the rooms.

Restaurant:The meals here were great, I enjoyed both breakfast and dinner , and the holistic theme of the hotel extend itself to the menu as well with local menu items that were a treat. The rosemary bread at dinner was divine, and with breakfast the "main course" changes daily which was a treat as well. The tables under the thatched ajoups are very romantic at night and I like the special local touches in the decor. There is live entertainment on weekends which was low key and many people came for dinner from outside the hotel.

Staff:Great, very pleasant and accomodating they went all out to grant our requests such as a shuttle to the airport and separating our "king" bed into two double beds.

Overall Impression:
Good place to relax and let go, they offer complimentary holistic treatments to guests such as tai chi and yoga. My friend joined in on tai chi and came back very very relaxed. I felt like resting the whole time I was there, no need to do anything really and with great food and pleasant surroundings it was easy to let the stress go. I highly recommend it to people who need stress relief or a romantic get away. If you are looking for activities and nightlife this is not the place. One thing to note as well, the jaccuzi is a cold water jaccuzi, it would be SO perfect if it was hot ..as it is lovely, waterfall and all.
Carmel M

Kariwak stay August 2003

Post by Carmel M »

Hi

I stayed in the Kariwak with my young son in August 2003 and would confirm all Syndy's points though perhaps more enthusiastically! We stayed in a garden room which was spacious, and had remote controlled air conditioning. We spent a couple of days just hanging around the complex enjoying the fantastically lush gardens and the pool and jacuzzi. Indeed the sense was of seclusion and relaxation (the proximity of the airport is just not an issue).

Despite intending to eat in lots of different places we tended to eat most evenings at the Kariwak as the food was so tempting. Even the occasional daytime snacks were flavoursome and thoroughly enjoyable.

It was tremendous value for money as well!

The staff were superb - within hours of arrival they knew you by name; were non-intrusive but wonderfully helpful and charming when asked for anything.

I would unreservedly recommend the Kariwak for all round satisfaction and aim to return for sure.
Carmel
Katie

Post by Katie »

hi i didn't stay at kariwak but ate there often. i also stayed in tobago in august 2003. i am also pret :D ty sure my younger brother who is seven made friends with you son
:D a brilliant atmosphere with proper carribean cuisine oh and the coctails are gorgeous even though i only had the non alcoholic ones
Trina S

Kariwak

Post by Trina S »

Hi all

Were about to book the Kariwak I think but I had one concern re the comment about nightlife - The restaurant guide seems to indicate there are a few places to go but Syndy's comment of it not being the place for nightlife concerned me.
We want to eat out a bit and go for drinks after dinner - not nightclubs but a couple of bars and selection of restaurants within walking distance are more what we are looking for.
If Kariwak is not the place for this, can anyone suggest a hotel of similar standard/price which would suit us any better?
Also, is there anywhere on the site with a map showing locations of hotels in this area in any detail - Im not sure if I am looking at Scarborough or Crown Point?
Final query - my husband will be abandoning me to dive - is Store Bay / Pigeon Point safe to go to on my own during the day?
Thanks in advance
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Trina

Welcome aboard!

Syndy said:
If you are looking for activities and nightlife this is not the place.
Well, I'm not sure whether she was referring to the Kariwak or to Tobago - but she would have been right either way.

Tobago is not the place to go for activities and nightlife. This applies to the Kariwak. It also applies to every other hotel I can think of. It's all relative of course, but by the standards of certain Mediterranean resorts, Tobago is DEAD!

Yes, there are various bars and places to go. In fact, there is a tiny local bar called Crystals just a minute’s walk from the Kariwak where you will get some good atmosphere late into the night.

Given what you’ve said in your post, I think the Kariwak will be an excellent choice for you.

Store Bay is less than a five minute walk. It’s around a 20 minute walk to the Club Pigeon Point ‘protected’ area. Yes, I would not hesitate to say it is “safe” for you to walk to these places on your own, provided you observe the same common-sense precautions you observe at home. Having said that, single girls/ladies inevitably get some hassle from beach gigolos, but 99% of them will sod off after a polite “thanks, but no thanks”. You will be better off at Pigeon Point from that point of view. I’m sure that within a day or two you’ll be able to hook up with other guests and avoid been a target. Anyway, it might come in useful and help keep your husband on his toes.

By the way: the Kariwak is in Crown Point so check the Restaurant listing for places in that area. Scarborough is a 20-minute taxi drive away (and there's nothing there anyway).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Steve Wooler wrote:Hi Trina
Scarborough is a 20-minute taxi drive away (and there's nothing there anyway).
Nothing in Scarborough? How do you mean?
I thought it was the main town - there must be bars and restaurants, surely?

(and I promise I'll never call you Shirley again!) :lol:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Julia

Well, the Botanical Gardens and Museum are very peaceful and interesting. The open-air market is a great way to experience the vibrant West Indian culture. However, the only real reason I can think to visit Scarborough is for a coffee and ice cream at Cafe Ciao - I confess that both are so good that I'd cross the island for the experience.

You are quite correct, Scarborough is the main town. Correction. It is the ONLY town. Yes, there are bars and restaurants, but few that you would probably want to use. Check out our Restaurant listing and you'll see what I mean.

Scarborough has got a population of about 35,000 people I believe - and most of them are scattered well outside the town itself. It is the size of an English village. Sadly, when they built the port and sea defences they ruined what used to be an attractive sea front. Now it's just an ugly concrete mess. There is effectively nothing there for visitors. A bit of atmosphere and not a lot else.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
R. Ramirez

Kariwak

Post by R. Ramirez »

We stayed at Kariwak in April 03. Myself Wife and one year old. We were there just after the huge Easter weekend rush when all of Trinidad seems to invade Tobago. The place was fantastic, peaceful, relaxing even with other parents and their brood. Stayed in a poolside room and had all meals and snacks on the compound. The staff was top class. The baby got sick when we were there with a fever that wouldn't quit and Cynthia was very helpful sending out for the needed medications much to the relief of first time parents with frazzled nerves. Good range of meals from breakfast lunches and dinners to a Buffet night on Friday and a variety of sandwhiches and cocktails.

My only complaint, if you larger than a 2XL as I am you have to shower one part at a time because the shower is rather small and inconvenient for those with mobility or size issues.

Return to “Kariwak Village Holistic Haven & Hotel”