Robbery At Grange Beach

Your questions on medical and security issues
John Randall
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Robbery At Grange Beach

Post by John Randall »

Hi All

Did anyone else see a recent article on Trinidad Express Online about a robbery at Grange Beach? Apparently, a couple were swimming in broad daylight when a pair of unsavoury looking characters began riffling through their bags. On challenging the men the couple were threatened with a machete! The couple raised the alarm and two fishermen chased the ruffians off (they obviously weren’t that threatening then).

What disturbed me most about the article was some of the comments posted by readers which went along the lines of “Tobago’s full of crackheads” and “I wouldn’t go there, it’s far too dangerous these days” etc etc.

All I can say is that the island must have changed markedly from when we last went (May 2011). I’ve been to Tobago many times and the worst thing that ever happened to me was some drunk guy threatened me outside a bar – I told him his fortune and he backed down.

All this won’t stop us from going, we will be staying on the island for a week over Xmas and New Year. But I was hoping to do some fishing down at Grange and if I have to fight off some knife wielding drug addict I might give it a miss. I had enough of that in London!

Did anyone else hear about the incident and know if the two perpetrators have been apprehended? Is there any truth in the rumours about the “Significant” drug problems on Tobago?

Regards

John
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Robbery At Grange Beach

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi John

I must confess I haven't heard of this myself. I've had look at the Trinidad Express and can't find it there, but will make a few enquiries. My immediate reaction is more about the 'comments' sections of the local online news sites - I have just NEVER seen as much rubbish and vitriol as you see in those columns. They are totally unmoderated and seem to be largely used by the real dregs of T&T society - and foreigners with an axe to grind. Back to your question, though, it is true that Tobago has an increasing drug problem, but I am not sure that it is worse than most places.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
John Randall
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by John Randall »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. Here’s the link to the article I mentioned:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Cut ... 10676.html

I must say that on re reading the article there are some idiotic comments posted so perhaps I shouldn’t take it all as gospel! However, it’s sad to think that even people in Trinidad are going on about how supposedly dangerous Tobago is. They should talk – a friend of mine in Trinidad goes fishing armed with his revolver to deter any would be assailants.

In any case, I still hope to go fishing down at Grange, but perhaps early in the morning rather than at night. I’ve never heard of a drug addict that was out of bed much before noon!

Anyway, I’m still looking forward to my holiday

Cheers

Jon
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi John,

We just got back today from our 8th trip to Tobago. I cannot even count how many times I went fishing at Grange in the past few years , either starting or finishing in the dark and I never had a problem at all. I guess you'll be absouletly fine whenever you pop down for a session.

Rob
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

This theft of possessions follows the classic example of visitor daftness - why would anyone head into the sea for a swim and leave their bags unattended on the beach? These people would not have done this in Trinidad, or Norway, and I have also encountered the occasional UK tourist whose bags had been whizzed while swimming, who would never in a million years leave their bags alone on a beach in Brighton or Blackpool or even some "posher" beach like Wells next the Sea. And in a developing country where there is a huge gap between the haves and have-nots? Lunacy. Yes it is possible that they might have been held up even if they had been sitting next to their bags, but this is extremely rare (possibly unheard of in all my years of experience of Tobago?) on any beach like Grange with other people nearby and a busy road alongside it. People need to relax on Tobago, but the secret of a safe and happy holiday is not to relax too much and behave in a carefree way that you would not do at home.

Return to “Health & Security”