Beach from Bucco to No mens Land

Your questions on medical and security issues
Karambesi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Beach from Bucco to No mens Land

Post by Karambesi »

Perhaps it is reasonable to write here.
Is it dangerous to walk alone on the beach of Bucco direction no-men-country or even from Piggeon Point Logoon direction. I wish there fly fishing from shore.
I've heard that it's not safe Bucco beach, traveling alone to be.
Request for information, there was already someone upper.
I am go in the Juni to Tobago, so its not the Major season.
Kind regards from Austria
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Beach from Bucco to No mens Land

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Karambesi

There were a few robberies along Buccoo Beach some years back and this resulted in the bad reputation and warnings the beach now attracts. However, I confess that it is some years since I have heard of any incidents. Perhaps that has more to do with publicity and warning visitors not to go there? I don't know!

If I have to stick my neck out and give advise, I have to say no - don't go there alone. The problem is that the beach is backed by scrubland giving robbers lots of places to hide and/or approach without being seen, by you or anyone else. They also have lots of different directions to get away by. The fact that the beach is almost always totally deserted would tend to make you easy pickings.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
SueShard
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by SueShard »

We have regularly visited Buccoo beach each year since we stayed in The Seaside Garden nine years ago. Having said that there has always been two or more of us, it is a very empty and beautiful beach and so I suppose you can never be absolutely sure like any remote place that it is completely safe, we were told not to take valuables as when you swim there is a chance of them being stolen by people hiding in the bush-we have never experienced this. As always there are no guarentees but we love it!
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Peter,

I fished along Buccoo beach countless times in the past years and I never had a trouble of any kind, but when it came to wandering beyond the rocks towards No Mans Land I never went alone. It wasn't because I was afraid of being robbed it was more about the spot being way too secluded. Accidents of all kinds can happen while fishing.

If you're planning to chase the bones with a fly gear I suggest you visit Friendship Flats instead. This spot is a lot easier to fly fish at low tide and also more productive.

Rob
Karambesi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Karambesi »

Thanks for the helpful statement. Please can you tell me where I can find the Friendships Flats? I have no idea where they are, they can not find on any map.
I promise you, there is again a small report here in this great forum.
Peter
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Karambesi

Open our interactive maps at www.mytobago.info/maps.php. Identify the airport runway then run a line from left to right along the runway (so, head east). The first icon you will see will be a green one for the Friendship Riding Stables. Zoom in and switch to satellite view and you will see the trail that leads down to the beach and Friendship flats.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Peter,

As Steve says you gotta follow the track that runs along the perimeter fence. You'll need a 4x4 (jeep) to access the beach.
Guess you could walk along but it'd take quite a time to reach the spot. In October a local friend of mine told me that they'd been building a road that'd connect the beach with Milford Rd. I'll check it out in February.

Only fish the spot at low tide. It is a fantastic mark for wading which I find essential when fly fishing. Be aware of stingrays though...

Rob
Attachments
IMGP0874 (640x480).jpg
IMGP0874 (640x480).jpg (270.09 KiB) Viewed 11225 times
Karambesi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Karambesi »

Thanks for the advice =D> , which I have received from you. If I understand correctly, there are the Friendship Store Bay Flats direction?
I will be back there in June and I promise to write a report here in the forum.
Thank you, Peter
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Peter

I have posted a reply in the fishing section in answer to your question but as we are now talking about Friendship flat in this thread - I have often gained access to the flat from Canoe Bay Resort. It is a good place to use as a base if you have family or friends with you who do not fish.

If you are alone then the route already mentioned by Robert is as good as any.
As well as bonefish on a rising tide you can expect snapper, barracuda, jacks, snook and tarpon too.
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.

Return to “Health & Security”